Is a spotlight legal?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Every now & then someone gets behind ya that won't turn off their brights. If I can I'll slow down & let em pass. Sometimes though, you're in a construction zone or what have ya.

I'm not asking this in a way that I'm some maniacal guy trying to blind someone. I'm more just wondering if having a spotlight & flashing it a time or two at the driver behind ya might be a way to get em to hit the low beams.

I adjust my mirrors at the moment. The problem is the oncoming traffic flashes their high beams at the guy behind me so I'm getting it from both ends.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm not out to cause an accident. I'd just sorta like to be able to see myself. I'm open to a better idea.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm not out to cause an accident. I'd just sorta like to be able to see myself. I'm open to a better idea.
I generally just slow down...and I keep slowing down until they pass me or dim their lights. It seems to be a lot worse in the last year or two. I think its not always lack of dimmer switch as much as these brighter bulbs that are on the market. It is very annoying!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Napping while driving minimizes the effects of the lights! There is no really good idea that I have come up with yet. Let us know if you do.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just ignore it don't let it get on your nerves and it just isn't that big of a deal. As is most.often the case how one reacts to an inconsiderate driver is what actually makes it a bigger deal than it really is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Adjusting the side mirrors is an option I don't have, so I found a way to cut the glare when the lights are too bright: a 'sunshield' on a roller [like a window blind] that is attached above the driver's door [with safety pins, cause the headliner is fabric]. When the light bothers me, whether sun or headlights, I pull the shade down & stick the suction cup on the bottom to the glass. The shade is a mesh fabric, so I can still see, but the glare is significantly reduced.
Just one thing to remember: unstick the suction cup BEFORE touching the button that rolls the shade up, lol.
It's very cheap [about $3-4] and small enough to be unobtrusive when not in use. I like it, because overly bright lights are becoming more of a problem, I notice.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
It's not about it getting on my nerves. It's about being able to see. I adjust the mirrors. Though I like Cheri's idea too. When you're in a construction zone & there's all those orange barrels, it's tough to see when the oncoming traffic flashes their brights at the guy behind me.

Just ignore it don't let it get on your nerves and it just isn't that big of a deal. As is most.often the case how one reacts to an inconsiderate driver is what actually makes it a bigger deal than it really is.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I think it's worse in the last few years because so many more people are on cell phones. Before if ya tapped your light at someone they'd realize they had their brights on & dim em. Now they're in their own world not paying attention.

I generally just slow down...and I keep slowing down until they pass me or dim their lights. It seems to be a lot worse in the last year or two. I think its not always lack of dimmer switch as much as these brighter bulbs that are on the market. It is very annoying!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I think it's worse in the last few years because so many more people are on cell phones. Before if ya tapped your light at someone they'd realize they had their brights on & dim em. Now they're in their own world not paying attention.
could be...havent considered that

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Has anyone ever looked into the legality of those pull down shades on a commercial vehicle?

I'm pretty sure that as long as it doesn't obscure either the driver's vision looking out, or the ability of a LEO to see in, there's no reason it would be illegal. Besides, it disappears at the touch of a button, so it isn't much different than slapping a piece of translucent plastic on the window as a temporary screen, just easier to do.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm pretty sure that as long as it doesn't obscure either the driver's vision looking out, or the ability of a LEO to see in, there's no reason it would be illegal. Besides, it disappears at the touch of a button, so it isn't much different than slapping a piece of translucent plastic on the window as a temporary screen, just easier to do.

Just wondering. Never looked into it. Don't know at all. If I ever decide to try it I will check it out.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I agree that reacting to inconsiderate drivers can make it much worse, but being blinded is not acceptable. It happens a lot more now, with the popularity of REALLY bright lights on many 4 wheelers.
I don't want to blind them in return [2 blind drivers doesn't improve things] nor 'punish' them for their inconsiderate behavior, [they probably aren't aware of it], but ignoring it isn't a good option either, so I shared a solution that works for me.
Sadly, I haven't found anything that helps with other inconsiderate driver behaviors, sigh. [Because running over them isn't an option.]
:rolleyes:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I did run across something while looking at tint laws recently. Although its not much, apparently the FMCSA has made it legal for com.ercial vehicles to have tint on the side windows. It does have to allow 70% light transmission though, which isnt alot of help, but some.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Rocketman: that applies to permanently applied tint, while I'm using a temporary 'shade' that can be removed in 2 seconds flat. If a LEO decided to check it out, it'd be gone before he could get his car door open. ;)

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
It's very illegal. Don't know about other states but SC if you blind someone on purpose you get a tickets.
People tailgate all the time. They do it to me with Explosive placards in front of them, I just drop my speed and drive them crazy. :p