Is 21 Days Mandatory???

armin88

Expert Expediter
I been hearing most of all expedited companies required you do be out a min.of 21 days.Is that mandatory???

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I believe your misunderstanding 21 days out. Some outfits will ask for 21 days a month. It's not necessarily 21 days in a row. Go out maybe 12-15 days. Go home 3-5 days (if your close). Plenty of time left in the month to give them the required 21 days.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Most want you to be in service 70% of the time. That equals 21 days a month.
We were just out for 11 days, came home for 8 due to three coolant leaks that needed repairs.
Going back out on Monday and planning to stay out 3-4 weeks again.
Some stay out longer and some go home more often.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks everyone for the info.Wasn't sure.Thanks

The answers in this thread vary by company and contract. The only way you can be sure is to read and understand the contract before you sign.

Monty

Expert Expediter
If your carrier of choice REQUIRES anything of you that does not affect safety, (which they are responsible for under Federal rules), then you are NOT an independent contractor, you could, (In my book), be deemed an employee.

Have I said it before I like Landstar! They have zero requirements for days of service. If you do not work, you do not eat. Landstar is your business partner, not your nanny!

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
If your carrier of choice REQUIRES anything of you that does not affect safety, (which they are responsible for under Federal rules), then you are NOT an independent contractor, you could, (In my book), be deemed an employee.

Have I said it before I like Landstar! They have zero requirements for days of service. If you do not work, you do not eat. Landstar is your business partner, not your nanny!
That's how it should be. But someone on another list was saying, "Hey, you sign a lease requiring you to wear a punk tu-tu, you got to wear a pink tu-tu."

Or, if there is no real negotiation but they just hand you a lease agreement, take it our leave it, that sounds like an unenforceable adhesion contract.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you don't stay out 21 days you won't make any money
i have always done what i wanted to
march to my durm beat