IRP Record Keeping.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Well, I was reviewing the fact that I got to my IRP renewal far too late. And once again I am up the proverbial creek and I forgot the proper equipment. I had never heard of keeping state by state mileage and fuel records for each load, and while I've kind of found a way to still pull off getting new plates, I'm frustrated. Is there another way to keep these mileage reports other than reseting the odometer for every state line and tallying it up later? I thought I had mastered the gobs of paperwork, but this has thrown a wrench into it. Is there a gps program that also keeps track of state by state mileage? I guess I just keep hoping there is an eaiser way than what I've come up with...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Panther keeps track of that for you on your fuel tax statements. Call in the morning and they likely can email it to you. It has gallons used, milage for each state etc.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
Dave,

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tend to be a bit of a worryer, and you have taken a load off my chest!!!!!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
you have to watch,the mileage kept from the qual com,as most companies are doing,isnt that accurate,my buddy just got auddited from south carolina,it was lucky he also kept his own records
everyload I do i keep mileage for every state and put it with my other records in my pc,if you have a good trucking program,it should have a provission

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a spiral notebook. I write the odometer reading as I cross the state line. It's the ending mileage for whatever state. All I have to write is a 2 letter abbreviation for the state and the odometer. If I had to I could go back and match it with my logbook as to dates and times but the one time I got audited I did fine with that and a copy of the Panther quarterly reports.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
DDL log book has it and will do all the math for you.

We get the miles sent to us at the end of the qtr. like Dave said.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
LDB, that was the way I was thinking. If I keep even a half-page spiral notebook on the dash, and write mileage, state, and date, I should be fine, I think. The suggested form that MI included was far more detailed, and seemed overkill to me, as I keep a record of each of my trips for financial tracking and trending reasons.

I downloaded DDL once, but since Panther wasn't listed as a company that accepted the printouts, I never used it. It seemed likea novel approach, but the coming paperless logs will eliminate the need for that.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think we are coming to the point that QC information in a audit, will be sufficient. Especially if another government agency (FMSCA) endorses its reliability on logs.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
davekc,the qc would be fine,but how many times have you went a different way,to get shorter miles,the mileage report,at the end of the month,showed the qc miles not the actual miles,ie,when we get routed to LA from ohio,most of the time we are sent out thru Colorado,as I70 and I15 are shortest routes,but I go I70 I44 I40 I15
the mileage report has me paying taxes in states i dont drive in,and my IRP miles will be off too

ihamner

Expert Expediter
> "DDL log book has it and will do all the math for you.
>
>We get the miles sent to us at the end of the qtr. like Dave
>said. "

So, my question is: How is the information entered into the DDL program so the report can be generated? We are a little confused about running through states where we don't make a stop or where we don't have a load. Do you know the name of the report you use? This will help a lot! Thanks so much!!!!

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
My response may have been misleading. DDL will do what you need. My comment about getting it sent to me every Qtr., was from PII.

This is from the DDL help menu.

IFTA Fuel Tax Report (Dialog)

If you enter Odometer records and you enter Fuel Stop records and are careful, you can get International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) reports which are usually required quarterly (4 times per year). This is a DDL feature designed for Owner Operators and Independent truck operators that must submit fuel tax returns.

IFTA issues quarterly fuel rate tables and these can be downloaded from http://www.iftach.org and these files are issued by quarter. 1Q2000.csv, 2Q2000.csv, 3Q2000.csv, etc. The files are comma separated value (.csv) text files designed to imported into spread sheet programs like Excel. DDL has been modied to read these files and to extract the Diesel Fuel rates for each state or province in the file. The IFTA Report requires these files and will even create the required file name base on the date specified for the beginning of the report.

Odometer records are entered via the Driver DutyStatus Dialog (big ‘N’ on the toolbar).

Fuel Stop records are entered via the Driver Duty Status Dialog (big ‘N’ on the toolbar).

A ‘Print’ button allows report printing and printing to a text file.

A ‘Save’ button will allow for save to file, save to system ‘clipboard’ for ‘paste’ into a word processing application, and save to file in .CSV (comma separated value) format for import into spread sheet and other programs.

A ‘Report Settings’ button allows setting of currency exchange rate if settings option for currency is set.

See Go to Day Button for more information.

See Edit Record Button for more information.

See Print Button for more information.

See Save Button for more information.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I find trying to write and drive as so I can even read my own chicken scratch is just to difficult.

Easy solution. Buy a small tape recorder, put a small piece of velcro on your dash, and the other piece on the tape recorder. Now its always ready for you. Once a week, down load each state crossing and its simplified for you. Also its great for directions over the phone or anything else you might see on a billboard (phone #s etc..) or that customers phone #.

Keeps me from trying to read my own terrible writing (bad enough when I am at a desk let alone a rolling truck). Do not loose that note book and every couple of months make a copy of the pages and put in a file at the house just in case one might loose it.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Thanks! We'll get right on this...more paperwork, you gotta love it!

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I use to do the writing thing when with EGL when I crossed each state line. I find that my writing improves in a moving truck.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I write the state abbreviations in before I roll so all I have to put is the mileage and the last 3 digits are enough because I can figure out what the 1st two are from the prior entry. It may take me a mile or two to get to a smooth enough spot and even then it isn't as legible as sitting still but it's passable. The tape recorder suggestion is also a good one.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>davekc,the qc would be fine,but how many times have you went
>a different way,to get shorter miles,the mileage report,at
>the end of the month,showed the qc miles not the actual
>miles,ie,when we get routed to LA from ohio,most of the time
>we are sent out thru Colorado,as I70 and I15 are shortest
>routes,but I go I70 I44 I40 I15
>the mileage report has me paying taxes in states i dont
>drive in,and my IRP miles will be off too
===================================================
The new software that is also used for logging etc. is suppose to eliminate that problem. It calculates where you are actually running verses the old as you mentioned.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It is the remembering to do it that bites me in the pants. Can't tell you how many times I have had to go to the mapping software to get that and the midnight miles.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
>Well, I was reviewing the fact that I got to my IRP renewal
>far too late. And once again I am up the proverbial creek
>and I forgot the proper equipment. I had never heard of
>keeping state by state mileage and fuel records for each
>load, and while I've kind of found a way to still pull off
>getting new plates, I'm frustrated. Is there another way to
>keep these mileage reports other than reseting the odometer
>for every state line and tallying it up later? I thought I
>had mastered the gobs of paperwork, but this has thrown a
>wrench into it. Is there a gps program that also keeps track
>of state by state mileage? I guess I just keep hoping there
>is an eaiser way than what I've come up with...

I use a small digital voice recorder (Olympus VN-240) that I bought at OfficeMax.

At the end of the driving day you can easily playback and transcribe the info onto paper. IMHO, it's safer to use than trying to write while driving.

Sample entries:
1) "776152 miles...leave PA, enter OH...I-90 Westbound...1:19PM"
2) "Midnight...now Thursday...775605 miles"
3) "IDIOT almost took my hood off after passing...No Brains Trucking...trailer #1234...yardstick 221, I-76 Eastbound, PA...3:15AM...call 800-123-4567 and rat his a$$ off!"

It beats the heck outta trying to write stuff down on the fly!!

Rex

raceman

Veteran Expediter
BP is right. Hand held memo recorder. I moved up a bit and got one that holds a full size cassette. I got it at Radio Shack. It is just a bit bigger than the tape itself. I record all that stuff for records and my other thoughts, ideas, improvements for making the job easier, etc. Reminders of things to buy and so on. Just contains all my thoughts while working.

One day I will give them to one of my kids to write a book about my time alone. Lol

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748