irp plates

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
I don't mean to sound off here, but if your paying too much, it's because YOU decided to do business that way. If you call Bolt recruiting, they will tell you that they overcharge for the plate. because they really don't want to be bothered and charge accordingly. Just like alot of other small carriers. You pay for your convenience. If you want to do business that way, then OK, but if your trying to minimize your expenses... get your own plate. It is a pain the first time, getting all of the information together and all, but dealing with all of the Gov is a pain. Taking control of your expenses is good business practice. Just don't yell that someone else is ripping you off, it is your decision that allows a carrier to rip you off. That is why they call it Due Dilligence!

termite289

Expert Expediter
the first year you get your plate, they should send you an estimated millage chart. you fill out the paperwork with estimated millage, the second year, if you didnt run in that state, you mark 0 miles for the states you didnt run in., i went round and round with Ga, and after 4 years of headaches, i called panther, and asked them how much a plate was. i saved 300 bucks per year, cause ga didnt bother to tell me i was filling out the paperwork wrong, and getting fines every year for using the estimated millage in states i didnt run in.
then you have to have a current utility bill to prove you actually live there, spouses name wont work, even with a marriage license. then you have to hop around on one foot, crow like a chicken, set the neighbors cat on fire, and praise obama. then they will be happy to tell you to go home and get one more piece of documentation.
the benifit of having your own plate, is you take it with you if you move companies. the drawback to using a company plate, they keep it, so you don't want to leave one job without having a temp from tour future employer.
when i called panther about getting my plate through them, it took 15 minuets, and she sent me a temp until the plate came in, and they mailed that to the house. I have no desire to leave panther until my truck is paid for. and then it is time to retire from trucking all together.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Just got a figure for my 2 axle ST (32k) and 1 ton cutaway (12k) and combined price for the year running BC & WA was $738 including process agent fees and IFTA decals.

cstefan

Active Expediter
You don't live too far from us, we live a bit south of Monroe. Call 517-322-1097 during the week. That is the IRP office in Lansing. They are VERY helpful. They will help you get started. When you have all of your paperwork ready it is worth the drive out there. You can get it down quickly. Layoutshooter

thank you...for the information

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Plates are also based off of the miles you ran from the previous year of the fleet. $50.00 a week for a single axle straight truck is really high. We only charge $26.00 for a single axel straight truck and $32.00 a week for a tandem axel straight truck. $50.00 is what we charge for a tractors base plate. There is a lot of paperwork with doing plates for each truck. Panther has one full time person that handles all the plates for them. I handle all the plates for us and it's not as easy as one may think. Steve you said that base plates for a tractor is around $1600.00. That may have been the cost back then as Ohio has raised the cost of plates.

I did my own plates until we signed on with Panther and let Panther do our plates for the last six and half years, so I was unaware of the cost during that time. Since we have went off on our own and I started doing the plates again, I was shocked on how much plates have went up in price. I guess you can pay the $1000.00 upfront or pay the smaller amount that the carrier charges. It's really all about choice. :)

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
the first year you get your plate, they should send you an estimated millage chart. you fill out the paperwork with estimated millage, the second year, if you didnt run in that state, you mark 0 miles for the states you didnt run in., i went round and round with Ga, and after 4 years of headaches, i called panther, and asked them how much a plate was. i saved 300 bucks per year, cause ga didnt bother to tell me i was filling out the paperwork wrong, and getting fines every year for using the estimated millage in states i didnt run in.
then you have to have a current utility bill to prove you actually live there, spouses name wont work, even with a marriage license. then you have to hop around on one foot, crow like a chicken, set the neighbors cat on fire, and praise obama. then they will be happy to tell you to go home and get one more piece of documentation.
the benifit of having your own plate, is you take it with you if you move companies. the drawback to using a company plate, they keep it, so you don't want to leave one job without having a temp from tour future employer.
when i called panther about getting my plate through them, it took 15 minuets, and she sent me a temp until the plate came in, and they mailed that to the house. I have no desire to leave panther until my truck is paid for. and then it is time to retire from trucking all together.

I agree with you. If you're a one or two truck owner it was less of a headache to get our plates with Panther for only $25.00 a week than it was to deal with IRP. Now, That I'm doing the same job that Deb at Panther does, I understand the process more. To get our online account with Ohio IRP was a lot of paperwork and a few drives to their office.