Internet Email Scams

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am posting this in the general forum just so I get the message out. If the modirators feel it needs to be move, go ahead.

-->Don’t give your personal information out to anyone.

As of today I have counted 95 different emails in my inbox from my main account and around 135 from my other mail accounts phishing for personal information. There is a big push with these emails the last few days.

Phishing for those who aren't internet savy phishing is explained better than I could ever so here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

What they are saying in the email is that my account will be locked or that the information for my bank account is wrong or there is a security breach – all asking for personal information to confirm the information.

Out of the 95 emails in my inbox, I have 32 from eBay, 24 from Paypal, 15 from Western Union and 24 from different banks - all of which I don’t have accounts with any one of these banks. Everyone of these emails looks like a real email fomr one of those companies and ask me to click on a link to verify my personal info. Testing one of the eBay emails, I found that the server setup to receive the visit is rather good copy of eBay's even has copies of ceritan FAQ pages, but it is not real - that one is located in the Middle East.

Because I have a very personal relationship with eBay management due to a big fight with them a year ago, I do have some friends in high places there and Paypal too –I know my accounts are not being locked, etc.. Western Union I refuse to use – so I know that that one is not real and the banks, well got no accounts with any of them.

Paypal and eBay rarely locks accounts unless there is fraud involved and than with a lot of warning.

So what does this all mean – do not answer them, do not click on the link do not do anything but delete them. If you want to be sure, close you email and browser program and than go to the site (eBay.com, paypal.com or what ever .com) and log onto it as you would normally do to confirm you info or better yet CALL them with a number you know. Also I have to add that even if you have virus protection, these links do have ways of planting little viruses on your computer. My virus scan went off when the site it went to wanted to plant a trojan virus, but I was using one of my test machines so it didnt matter.

See many of these emails originate from locations in Africa and Middle East sometimes even Russia– not from eBay, Paypal and others. There is a trick that is used to make it look like the email came from eBay in the actall email header section when it actually came from someone’s server in Jordan or Iran or Nigeria or Russia all looking for your personal information. Most of these came from Nigeria from what I could trace back but a number of them came from the Middle East.

Shameless plug ahead –

just to add one more thing, viruses and phising are tools used by terrorist to fund activities. As part of my job for the consulting company a few years back I researched and wrote a paper whih was presented to a large group of security people (yes more friends in high places I might add) about outsourcing, terrorism and the consumer internet market.

G

Thanks Greg, yea I have been alot of junk E-mails. Hope all is well for you in the Van.

Drive safe

Dave Mayfield
FEDExCC/Roberts express O/O Since 3/1/1995
C1847,C2045,D3397,

Deville

Not a Member
Its amazing how many people still fall for phsihing, my motto is this I dont open any e-mail from anyone I dont know.
With Pay pal E-bay and other banks is if there is a prolbem with an account you will be notified the moment you log on to there website. Never Click a link that you feel comes from a suspicous e-mail, close the email and goto the address manually or click a link you save in a favorite places folder that you feel comfortable with and have been useing for years.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HOW DO YOU BLOCK THEM,WHEN THEY USE A DIFFERENT SENDER AND SUBJECT EVERY TIME...(yes I am shouting)

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Two that I´ve been getting several of lately are scams mostly saying they are from some country in Africa, and due to one political upheaval or another, or some far fetched personal tragedy scenario, the sender is trying to get millions of dollars out of the country and needs someone to help them, and they will pay a substantial sum to the email receiver.
The other is mostly form England or China, and sounds ligit. They claim they need someone to accept checks for the products they are selling, and are willing to pay a nice percentage if you become their partner and accept the payments, take your percentage, and then forward the rest to them. Remember, ANY EMAIL that asks for money, or asks you to spend money to make money is a scam email! THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>HOW DO YOU BLOCK THEM,WHEN THEY USE A DIFFERENT SENDER AND
>SUBJECT EVERY TIME...(yes I am shouting)

YOU REALLY CAN'T FOR SOME. A LOT OF THE EMAIL ADDRESS THAT THEY USED ARE STOLEN AND GOTTEN BY SCRAPPING THEM OFF OF UNSECURED SITES. (yes I yelled the reply, now my ears hurt)

chaz

Expert Expediter
I do some ebaying and have used paypal.I get those emails alot also.Especially from paypal saying that I have added another email to my account and must log in to verify etc. I think it is ebay toolbar that you can download,and when you are on a legitimate ebay or paypal site,the box will turn green. When not,it will be red.
Chaz

Deville

Not a Member
I limke the ones that have my last name attached to it and how I have a distant relative who has died and left me a windfall of money. Unreal

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you want to read up on some of the more common scams go to http://www.snopes.com/ and click on the crimes category.
One I received today was asking me to forward my mobile phone number, and address. They specified "mobile phone" for some reason. It was from the UK. I guess they can scam cell phones somehow. I had put an ad on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago and the UK scammers started.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg, I think redytrk was yelling at me for asking about blocking them. I'm sorry that my question was apparantly really stupid. The reason I brought it up is that since I got Hotmail I no longer get any garbage. When I used an internet provider I used to have I got all kinds of junk and they claimed to have filters. I don't use Ebay or Paypal, maybe that helps too.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Greg, I think redytrk was yelling at me for asking about
>blocking them. I'm sorry that my question was apparantly
>really stupid. The reason I brought it up is that since I
>got Hotmail I no longer get any garbage. When I used an
>internet provider I used to have I got all kinds of junk and
>they claimed to have filters. I don't use Ebay or Paypal,
>maybe that helps too.

No problem, just wanted to reply instead of leting him hang wiating for an answer. my ears still hurt

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I´m going to post one I received today, in case you´ve never seen it...if you go to snopes.com, you´ll see that this one has been around for awhile, and is highlighted on their site...there are several variations on this theme:

Compliments of the day to you and other members of your family, I am
Miss Joy Kabila, It is my pleasure to contact you for a business venture
which I and my Younger Brother Steve,intend to establish in your
country.
Though I have not meet with you before but I believe, one has to risk
confidence to succeed sometimes in life.

There is this huge amount of Eight million
U.S dollars($ 8,000,000.00) which my late Father kept for us in a
security company here in Abidjan, (Cote D'Ivoire) before he was assasinated
by his body guard.Now I and my Younger Brother Steve decided to invest
these money in your country or anywhere safe enough outside Africa for
security and political reasons.We want you to help us claim and
retrieve these consignment fund from the security company here and transfer it
into your personal account in your country for investment purposes on
these areas:

1). Telecommunication
2). the transport industry
3). Five star hotel

If you can be of an assistance to us we will be pleased tell Us what
you will take from us as your pacentage Of the total fund,
PLEASE REPLY ME WITH THIS EMAIL BOX/ (here they place an email address, usually form the UK or some African country). There must be folks falling for this crap, or they wouldn´t keep doing it.A total scam!!

I await your soonest response.
Respectfully yours,
Miss. Joy Kabila

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I should tell them to send me half a million first to get the ball rolling so I could open an account. Think they´d go for it?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Personally I think they should be executed for sending out garbage like that and yes I do literally mean executed.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 4958, 5447
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Personally I think they should be executed for sending out
>garbage like that and yes I do literally mean executed.

Leo,

You been reading my blog? This is something I would say.

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
I got this reply for my ad to sell my to sell my truck
HELLO ROGER,
I HAVE GONE THROUGH THE DETAILS AND PRICE,I AM GLAD TO CONFIRM TO YOU THAT THE VEHICLE SUITS MY NEED.I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO MAKE AN INVOICE.AND ALSO SCAN A COPY OF THE INVOICE AND SEND IT TO MY E MAIL..VERY WELL YOU NEED NOT TO WORRY ABOUT SHIPPING CAUSE I HAVE MY OWN PERSONAL SHIPPING AGENT WHO TAKES CARE OF ALL MY INTERNATIONAL SHIPMENT..THE SHIPPING COMPANIES ADDRESS IS MOHAMMED CLEARING AND FORWARDING/SHIPPING LLC. HOWEVER YOU CAN PREPARE THE INVOICE WITH MY BELOW COMPANY DETAILS BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE I WILL BE NEEDING THE MACHINE.

name deleted LLC
deleted DELVERTON ROAD
DEIRA,DUBAI,
UNITED ARAB EMIRATE.(U.A.E)
CONTACT NUM:deleted
C/O:STEPHEN deleted

IF YOU CAN PROVIDE ME WITH ALL THE REQUIREMENTS I WILL GLADLY MAKE THE PAYMENT ASAP.
LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU.
REGARDS,
STEPHEN deleted by me

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Call his bluff and western union the money to you that way your account info is safe.......then you'll know for sure....

aileron

Expert Expediter
If you have some time to read, go to www.419eater.com. There is a guy in the UK that pretends to go along with these crooks and then get them to do some stupid stuff. Some even sent him pictures, money, etc. Read under "letters archive". Sometimes you kinda feel sorry for them, but don't, they are the lowest scums that wouldn't hezitate to clean you of all your money. His thing is that as long as the scammers are preocupied with him, they are not scamming someone else.