internet connection

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Hello all,

I know some of you may think this is my first post it should be under the newbie section. Well I have been viewing this sight for over a year and been into expiditing for over 9 mos. hence yes a newbie.:D However I have watched and serched and have not found this subject and if this is a revisit I truely appologize but feel alot of people may get help from this subject.

My question is what is the best way to get internet connection on the road. The best connection for the least amount of money. Pay the different fees at the various truck stops? Purchase a sat. connection thru a phone service? Or other?Presently using Alltel nationwide but would have to purchase another phone with another line. I also purchased a years worth of connection at flying j back in Novemeber when I first started thinking that I would be at those locations the most (only place giving cargo van drivers free showers) but have found alot of DH to locations.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had been using the truck stop internet but I have changed to the Verison card. Gives me internet in far more places. I no longer try to plan layovers by whether or not I can get internet. I have been able to use it while moving at times. Layoutshooter

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Least expensive = free.

There are soooooo many open connections that you can get one just about anywhere

I was at a truck stop in Mississippi last week and the signal from the motel across the street was stronger than my WIFI card.

I just started a 30 day trial of a smart phone.

Very impressed with the portability. It is like having a mini-laptop in my pocket. I don't miss lugging the laptop into the truckstop.

It also gives me an audible when I have an emai.

I am typing this post on the Samsung i760.

bludragon13

Seasoned Expediter
we use alltel wireless internet 59.95/ unlimited nation wide, we have a dell inspiron 1505 has smart card but alltel offers a small internet modem that plugs into usb port we have used it from boston to tampa to denver with no problems. you dont purchase a 2nd phone just the modem which comes with the setup and number,it is seperate from you cell line. got ours in june and also got a 100$ rebate on 99.99 cost!:)

Last edited:

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Very helpful site.

Thanks Terry.

I have been going to motels and the like to get their free wifi also but have had numerous mangers come out and ask me what I was doing. Just today was in a parking lot of a Taco Bell and after about 3 hours the manager came out and asked me what I was doing. I too was hijacking net from across the street but just told him I was waiting for a call from my boss LOL and he said they didn't want people loitering around.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While the price is right on free Wi-Fi access, getting to a hot spot is not free, especially with fuel prices the way they are now. Tucking yourself into a hotel or retail parking lot is not as easily done if you are in something larger than a cargo van. Air cards from cell phone companies Sprint and Verizon have received good reviews from users here. Coverage has improved to near universal over the years.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I also heard Verizon has made an offer to but out Alltel...if you can't beat them, buy them.....:(

also many motels I've stayed at lately have passworded thier wifi connection....

M

mcclain

I would strongly suggest Verizon for your internet connection while on the road.

With fuel running so high and your time so valuable - why worry about finding a hotspot?

I pay $59 for endless usage and love it.

I don't leave home without it, use it when leaving home going to the office and use it when on the road traveling.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I have an Alltel aircard. The card plugs into the slot on the side of my laptop. I've had it for two years and never have a problem connecting to the internet, except in Canada. I use efax so it has been helpful in so many situations. Never had to drive someplace to get connected. I think when I get a new laptop my aircard will have to be replaced with an updated modem that will adapt to newer technology on the laptop.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have the Sprint aircard and get about 98% coverage out of it. There are a lot of times I can park near a shipper/cons and save a lot of driving to a truckstop. The t/s service is often spotty anyway.

moose

Veteran Expediter
using the Air card in Canada can be somewhat expensive ,
so in Canada i go WiFi .

while on WiFi , don't we have a security issue ???

Moose.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
So Verizon, ATT, etc don't work in Canada or do they ding you for roaming fees. My phone is ATT and switches to Rogers within a mile of crossing into Canada.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
using the Air card in Canada can be somewhat expensive ,
so in Canada i go WiFi .

while on WiFi , don't we have a security issue ???

Moose.

i asked that of a techie i know and he said i would be under the security of the place i was using.

moose

Veteran Expediter
So Verizon, ATT, etc don't work in Canada or do they ding you for roaming fees. My phone is ATT and switches to Rogers within a mile of crossing into Canada.

Rogers is an ATT partner , that provide service while in Canada ,for a reduced roaming rate.
the use of Rogers will costs you an arm and a leg...
(still bather then roaming witch will ask for a 1st born too ...)
especially for Internet use .
check your bills .

you can go on the International-plan, and prepay ATT 3.99 $/M , and get the Rogers service for .59 C/Min.

can U hear me now ? , Good.

Moose.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I spend quite a bit of time in Canada so I subscribe to the Flying J WiFi . I don't consider internet access that urgent . I can usually get to a Flying J or find free WiFi . I got the sale rate of $120 a year at Flying J .