Interesting Facts...

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
... And You Thought You Knew EVERYTHING...

Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.

The liquid inside young coconuts can be used as substitute for blood plasma.

No piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

The king of hearts is the only king without a moustache.

A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.

The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.

Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined.

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn't like being seen wearing them in public.

Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

Pearls melt in vinegar, red wine.

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

The three most valuable brand names on earth:
Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

It is possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

A duck's quack doesn't echo and no one knows why.

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

Richard Millhouse Nixon was the first US president whose name contains all the letters from the word "criminal." The second was William Jefferson Clinton.

Turtles can breathe through their butts. Butterflies taste with their feet.

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all of the
world's nuclear weapons combined.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

Ninety percent of New York City cabbies are recently arrived immigrants.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

It's physically impossible for you to lick your elbow.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

A snail can sleep for three years.

No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH."

Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing. SCARY!!!

The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

All polar bears are left handed.

In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

"Go," is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

If Barbie were life-size, her measurements would be 39-23-33. She would stand seven feet, two inches tall. Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

. . . Almost everyone who reads this post will try to lick their elbow....
:7

Lawrence

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No, but I got a piece of 8.5x11 paper folded in half almost eight times!
...I'm a cheater!
-Weave-

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As I sit on the balcony of our hotel, over looking the calm Atlantic
ocean, I was shocked to find that I really DON'T know it all. As you can imagine, this came as quite a surprise. Thanks for all of these
tidbits of info that I can use to dazzle my wife, when she wakes up.
Well, time for more coffee and remember: Lifes a Beach!:p

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
After reading this, I realize just how much I miss Cliff Claven.

If you melt enough dry ice you can swim and not get wet!

Cheers,

Bob and Hooligan

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lets add a few more to the list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

This is some serious stuff you always wanted to know...

Did you know that you are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider?

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 =12,345,678,987,654,321

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

A snail can sleep for 3 years.

All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of a $5 bill.

american indians were named after the first thing their mothers saw when leaving their teepees - but I've never met one with a name such as cooking pot, tourist, or pile of dung.

Back in the day when printed material required each letter on the sheet to be carefully laid out in a print box, the letters "p" and "q" were sometimes mistaken for one another, and that's where the phrase "mind your 'p's and 'q's" comes from.

Cloth came in bolts of nine yards of the fabric. Elaborate clothes were constructed out of the entire bolt, and so making those clothing items goes "the whole nine yards".

Grape jelly does not melt in hot tea.

If you open a curad bandaid in the dark that has the two adhesive strips on the sides of the wrpper the two adhesive strips will glow blue!

In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the bartender would yell at them to mind their own pints and quarts and settle down. It's where we get the phrase "mind your P's and Q's."

In most advertisements, the time displayed on a watch is 10:10.

In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. That's where the phrase 'goodnight, sleep tight' came from.

In the english language, the number four is the only number to have the same number of letters as the number itself.

More money is spent world wide on Chicago Bulls merchandise then the entire economy of New Zealand.

More people are killed by donkeys than plane crashes.

No President of the United States was an only child.

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

On the new five dollar bills, they cut down on the number of states on the back. Mississippi did not make the cut.

Peanuts are one of the ingredients in dynamite.

Shakespeare invented the words 'assassination' and 'bump'.

Stewardesses is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.

Termites eat wood twice as fast if you play loud music.

The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.

The characters Bert and Ernie were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's 'Its A Wonderful Life'.

The continents names all end with the same letter they start with.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year. When it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tub and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.

The original color of coca-cola was green.

The phrase 'rule of thumb' is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.

The term "devil's advocate" comes from the Roman Catholic church. When deciding if someone should be sainted, a devil's advocate is always appointed to give an alternative view.

The word 'trivia' comes from latin Tri Via, a newspaper named after a place where three roads came together.

The word Assassin comes from the word Hashish (the drug). the Assassins were a group of arabs in the 12th century C.E. who smoked hashish and were the first group of paid murderers that the west encountered

there is 336 dimples on a golf ball

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

To proliferate the species, aphids produce by virgin birth for three generations!

Two-thirds of the world's eggplant is grown in New Jersey.

W.W. 2 fighter pilots loading their planes with ammo would stretch the 50-caliber machine gun belts on the ground, measuring 27 feet.when all the ammo was expended at a target it was said to have gotten 'The Whole Nine Yards'

When Heinz ketchup leaves the bottle, it travels at a rate of 25 miles per year.

>I like the last one. It reminds me of some people that pay at the same speed.<

G

I just thought all this useful info. needed to be returned to the top of the list.

Also I have a "rule of thumb" that might be useful to you :)
>The phrase 'rule of thumb' is derived from an old English law which >stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than >your thumb.

Listening to the ploice scanner one afternoon, I overheard the officers going to a call that involved and alleged sighting of a bobcat in a tree near the high school. One of the county's deputy sherrif's gave this advice to the responding city officer.

deputy: "I've always heard there was a 'rule of thumb' to be used in situations such as this"

city officer: "10-4, what's that"

deputy: "If you can't cover it with your thumb, your too close!"

Well, life's not always dull down here Arkansas...have fun everyone :)

copdsux

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just reread these marvelous tidbits of absolutely indispensable information. It says: " Marilyn Monroe had six(6)toes". If thats the case, then I should be just as famous as she: I've got TEN toes!!! (Also, I'm alive, and this claim can be easily verifiied.):7

letsroll

Veteran Expediter
Ancient Chinese Proverbs

Man who run in front of car get tired.

Man who run behind car get exhausted.

Man with one chopstick go hungry.

Man who scratch bum should not bite fingernails.

Man who eat many prunes get good run for money.

War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left.

Man who drive like hell, bound to get there.

Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.

Man who live in glass house should change clothes in basement.

Man who fart in church sit in own pew.

Crowded elevator smell different to midget.

Dave

"expect the UN-expected"

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
LETSROLL, thanks so much for the ha ha's, really needed that today.

BEAUTY MAY ONLY BE SKIN DEEP BUT UGLY IS TO THE BONE!! DD

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
RoTFLMAO !....most excellent thx much...I got a english oak i planted when it was a twig 10 yrs ago amd darn if the thing has a good crop of acorns already...( so once word gets out i suppose ill have a bizillion "wiccan",they think the oak tree is sacred, types hangin around as theyll think that i have the "great oak" ...hmmmmmm...ya know the darned thing has grown to be 30 ft tall already,truth is maybe she is sacred ! yikes )...and YES i certainly did try to lick my elbow as soon as soon as i read it!...turtles fartin ,LOL :)

MattMO

Expert Expediter
If the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side.......does that mean that only left handed people are in their right mind??

If you expect the unexpected.....does that make the unexpected
expected?? :7