interested in expediting

jimbob

Seasoned Expediter
Im an OTR driver inerested in expediting, I was wondering how long do you have to stay out. Im thinking of a van like an E350 or sprinter.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You really should read back about a year in the general, newbies and recruiter forums. There is a significant glut of vans in the industry. That said, the answer to your question partly depends on where you call home. If home is somewhere in parts of OH, IN, IL then you may get by home on almost a weekly basis. If home is TX, MO, AL etc. then every few weeks is the only way to make the best money possible. Good luck.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
If I were you I would be thinking more along the lines of a straight truck or tractor trailer. The van is appealing because you don't have to log. That's one less thing to fool with right. Like Leo said though the market is overflowing with vans. It seems like at least once a week I read something on her about a van o/o saying they can't make it anymore. Just don't jump in head first. You never know you could be on the shallow end of the pool.

Pruittplum

Seasoned Expediter
was wondering how long do you have to stay out.

Most of the Expediting companies like Panther, Tri-State, Express 1 require you to be on the road for 75 percent of the month. What my husband and I do is stay out 3 weeks and go home 1 week. That is actually a lot of home time compared to some of our Expedite friends.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can't say positively about 3S having never driven for them but P2 and X1 do not require a specific amount of time. They can't require a specific amount or they would forfeit their independent status and become the employer and be subject to all the taxes etc. required. They prefer you to be available as much as possible but there is no mandatory minimum.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I drove for Panther, and I don't recall just how many days it is some where between 8-12 and Panther will consider you inactive and Freeze your pay until you go back out.