Insulting Article about Truckers

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Catching reckless truckers on the highway - TODAY'S TMJ4

But chasing down truck drivers is a job too big for Speedbusters alone, so they teamed up with an expert -- Wisconsin State Patrol Inspector, Mark Barlar. And he knows these cowboys of the highway better than anyone.

"They want to speed, they want to tailgate, they want to get to their next destination because they want to try to make some money," said Inspector Barlar.

Inspector Barlar knows bad truckers are the exception to the rule, but they are out there. And some not only drive too fast or too close, but with too little sleep.

"Their reaction times are a lot slower. They fall asleep. And if they fall asleep, they're gonna hit somebody and they will kill people," noted Inspector Barlar.

This kind of reporting about Truckers Insults me, and I take affront to the style that we are portrayed as COWBOYS, DANGEROUS, SLEEPY AND CARELESS...
I wrote an email to the paper and I hope some of you do as well, Its downright wrong and makes us look pretty bad.....Take a minute and write this paper and give them an opinion of the other side of the coin.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am not going to object..there are cowboys out there...following too close, in and out....speeding thru construction zones....no more, no less the 4 wheelers, just pushing 80,000lbs down the road...

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I am not going to object..there are cowboys out there...following too close, in and out....speeding thru construction zones....no more, no less the 4 wheelers, just pushing 80,000lbs down the road...

On the way to Phoenix, Jeff said "Look in your sideview mirror"...I could see the tractor's running lights, but not the headlights. He said, "And THAT is supposed to be a professional driver!" It's drivers like that one that place a bias against all truckers; we are fortunate that most are not like that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It would not surprise me to learn that the journalist or editor who decided to do that story was tailgated by a truck that scared him, her or a loved one half to death. A four-wheeler will encounter 10,000 trucks on the road and not notice one. The truck that will be remembered and talked about will be the one that was seen three feet off the four-wheeler's back bumper. Since no other trucks are noticed, it quickly becomes a reality in the four-wheeler's mind that all truckers are that way.

I know better. I encounter thousands of trucks a week if not a day and notice that almost all of them are driven well. But thinking back over two days, I remember best the big-rig driver that nearly killed Diane and me when he, the oncoming truck, crossed into our lane on a two-lane highway to avoid a four-wheeler that stopped suddenly. He had to do that because he was tailgating the four-wheeler. And I remember the big-rig driver who passed me on the freeway today and then cut in just feet ahead of my front bumper.

Yes, the news report is insulting in some ways. Infuriating are those two drivers who probably drive like that all day long, giving the news people plenty to talk about.

One solution would be to extend the driver's training and continuing education requirements for professional drivers. Carriers could do that this instant but they don't. Drivers also could do it themselves, on their own initiative. A few do but most don't.

Readers, when was the last time you spent an hour or more practicing, studying, taking a class or doing something similar to review the basics and sharpen your truck driving skills?

Professional football players practice the fundamentals all the time. Doctors, Dentists, lawyers and other professionals complete continuing eduction classes on an ongoing basis.

How about it, professional drivers? What do you do hone your professional skills?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Big trucks don't scare me or impress me anymore. I will hold my ground even with a crazy truck driver in back of me or right along side of me. lol. If you are going to be scared to death of a truck just because it tailgated you once, you shouldn't even be driving a four wheeler. I can understand a truck speeding late at night on a nice two lane stretch of interstate "open road" but not in major cities during rush hour and most definitely not tailgating. It looks like a shark swimming right behind a small fish waiting to strike when you see a big truck tailgating a smart car.

Also, sorry to say, truck drivers aren't the most intelligent, well mannered, or friendly type of people. You guys hang out at the truck stops and see these types of drivers every day. How can you be offended when someone calls these types of drivers out? Why do you take what the public thinks so personally. We all know that truck driving is a hard and often times thankless job. Who cares if the general public is afraid of renegade truck drivers. It really doesn't matter how many good truck drivers there are out there, the public is only going to remeber the bad ones! It's just human nature.

Last edited by a moderator:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't need to write an email. I don't drive like a cowboy, dangerous or reckless. But others do. I'm "me", not "we".

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well law enforcement knows who the highway cowboys are. It's the guy running the old petes and kw long nose trucked covered in lights and chrome with straight pipes and many times pulling cattle trailers.

Not only them but majority of the ones that ride my *** fit that description.

It is however easy to spot the outlaw drivers on the highways though. But as for me I drive 5 under speed limit and when I do go to pass I signal and get over soon enough leaving plenty of room for the driver out front to move if something comes up. I don't wait until I'm 5 feet off your rear doors to move that is just ignorant. In the 4 years of commercial driving I have never been pulled over or issued tickets for any reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm afraid that although they sensationalized a little bit as newspeople like to do they pretty much got it correct. There's really not much there to take offense to. Many drivers, both car and truck, are exactly as they said.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Gee..i wont be sending an email or snail mail letter as i wasn't offended/insulted by that piece at all....i even agreed with alot of it....hope that didn't offend/insult you...but if it did, theres empty space in my inbox....

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
One solution would be to extend the driver's training and continuing education requirements for professional drivers. Carriers could do that this instant but they don't. Drivers also could do it themselves, on their own initiative. A few do but most don't.

Readers, when was the last time you spent an hour or more practicing, studying, taking a class or doing something similar to review the basics and sharpen your truck driving skills?

Professional football players practice the fundamentals all the time. Doctors, Dentists, lawyers and other professionals complete continuing eduction classes on an ongoing basis.

How about it, professional drivers? What do you do hone your professional skills?

Phil;

Great post.

Drivers - try to stay updated through newsletters, offers of supplental training classes and drivers meetings put on by the Carrier you are leased onto. Take extra training whenever you can. There are some great webinars offered by FMCSA, and other trucking organizations.

On the flip side of this, and in defense of all the truely professional drivers within our great industry, what are our state governments doing to further educate the drivers of four wheelers? I am amazed each day driving to and from the office at the ignorance and inconsideration of people driving cars. I often wonder what they were taught in the mandatory driver's education course. Does any one bother to keep right and pass left?; use turn indicators?; understand what double yellow lines mean?; truely understand what Yield means?; stop at the end of a driveway prior to entering a street?, or understand assured clear distance. The best ones are the folks driving a car in the left passing lane on the interstate, travelling 10 mph below the speed limit, have a string of 10 cars behind them and are talking or texting on a phone. When you finally can pass them (on the right) they make it a point to extend the middle finger salute.

I would say it scares me even more because I enjoy riding motorcycles, and these folks are oblivious to what is going on around them - the last time I posted that a responder suggested I shouldn't engage in such a dangerous activity (motorcycling). Sorry, but I pay license fees, insurance, and fuel taxes to safely operate those motorcycles on the highway - the cell phones held by the "inconsiderates" have no right, and are not "entitled" to be on the highway.

I feel badly for you professional truck drivers to be constantly exposed to the inconsiderate four wheelers out there. Your job is truely tougher than most people realize. Stay professional, be safe and may God bless each an every one of you.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I don't get to drive much anymore having drivers to keep up with, but yesterday running a two lane road doing about 57mph I noticed a shadow of a car behind me. Came into the next town pulled up to the light and low and behold here's a young girl pulling up next to me talking and texting. I was somewhat taken back since there was a big triangle sign in front of her that read "Explosives". So much to placards.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Well, to play devil's advocate, I'd say it's the few to many hours per day spent practicing driving.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I do a lot of reading on what is going on in the trucking industry to stay on top of pending changes. I also like to take advantage of backing into places or spots that are a little more difficult which I can do safely since my wife will stand at the back for me and watch. I feel this has helped me gain much more control and experience in knowing how the trailer will respond in different situations. I also watch what others are doing right or wrong and think about what I would do differently.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

rlodonnell

Active Expediter
This article comes from a TV news story from the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee. As this is my home market I can tell you that this station has a STRONG tendency to sensationalize what ever story they happen to be presenting, especially if it can show them as being "On your side" (their latest tag line.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
This article comes from a TV news story from the NBC affiliate in Milwaukee. As this is my home market I can tell you that this station has a STRONG tendency to sensationalize what ever story they happen to be presenting, especially if it can show them as being "On your side" (their latest tag line.

The media sensationalize something?!?! :rolleyes:

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ive competed in several truck rodeos and I do practice my backing, and such when I can, I went to a truck driver training school(a very good one) and defensive driver class when I can, I have a couple awards from both. I always allow LOTS of room between me and the car in front/sides etc, I try to not go along the road side by side with other trucks, Ill even slow down and let others by if my cruise is on etc, To me safe driving is the only way to go, as youve said theres always the guy who cuts you off, or darts in front and then brakes hard.

Ive driven trucks for almost 30 years working in the entertainment fields, and Ive had one simple accident in all that time where I clipped a Overhead door, since then I look three times, I allow lots of time and room, and I drive defensively daily. I think hauling Oversize Steel coils and Construction equipment actually made me a better driver, you cant make mistakes when you have a 66,000 pound coil, or a 70 foot trailer with articulated rear axles and a crane boom out back.

Its always offended me that some COWBOYS drive the way they do as they are wiping there feet on my back, and your right, the editor or that writer has probably had a truck blast past him in the driving rain scaring the JEBUS out of them. I do go out of my way to let folks know Im a safe driver, courteous, and polite to shippers, warehousemen etc. I know its not me they will call but John or the company and thats nothing I want to happen.

Defensive driving is the only way to survive out here and it has to be practiced every second that trucks in service.