Increase MPG

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
What's all this I hear about "super-single" tires saving gas? Wouldn't that conversion be worth it right about now given the fuel prices?

Plus, better ride, quieter ride.

Are blowouts that more of a concern though?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
OVM we are in the upper 9 mpg range right now and hope once the SS tires get worn in we will hit a month where we average 10 mpg.
Jim we have tested our truck without the additive and we dropped enough MPG that for us the fuel additive is worth it. I do track what the additive costs and keep it separated from the fuel but then add it back it so I know our true cost of what the fuel costs us per mile. We have an extra tank for our APU so our MPG is actual mpg.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The best way to get better mileage, even better than slowing down, is to get a pump that reads wrong. I filled up at a Pilot in TN the other day and when I checked my mileage it kept coming out at 18.71!!!!! NOT BAD!!!! I told the manger that his pumps where reading wrong, like 1/2 the amont of fuel sold. He said that they have not been having trouble but he would check it out. I offered to pay the difference if he found any and he said that it could not be done. There was no way to figure out who might have been under chargeed. He thanking me for being honest. I sure did like that 18.71MPG figure. *SIGH* shame is was not right. It was exactly half of what it should have been for that fuel load. Layoutshooter

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
What rpm are you running when getting 8.5 and also when getting 7.5? As others have said, slowing down is top of the list for many. I also think Airtabs are worth some. Another potential small savings comes with Centramatics. Every time the tire is bouncing up and down it's losing efficiency. You probably wouldn't see more than maybe 0.1mpg difference but you also benefit from the better ride.
I for one fell for the ads on centramatics,well must tell you,ive used that powder called equal for years,til this last set of tires,I now have the centramatics,but in all honesty,they do not help anymore than the powder I had been useing .just when you change your tires the mechanic wont be happy if he gets a face full of powder.Also ,when checking tire pressures,you might need to blow air into the tire to get the powder out of the valve stem.and another thing,always use the air from your truck,that has run thru an air dryer,as if you get moisture in the tire,will screw up the powder.No more centramatics for me,a pair is all ill have,other tires still have powder called EQUAL

Last edited:

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Slowing down to a speed that get you into the highest gear is one of the biggest things to improve your mpg.
But when you are figuring your cost per mile, are you figuring in the extra cost of the additive that you poor into the tank? If it cost you 2 cents per mile to gain a one cent savings then it is not worth it if you are just trying to decrease your cost per mile. (not taking into account any benefit to keeping the engine in better condition.)
Sorry but fuel additives will actually cost you fuel mileage,sure use once in a while to clean injectors,or if you have water issues,but dont use every time you fuel.just like #1 fuel will also cost you fuel mileage
and as far as the super singles,dont get a flat tire,it will be very costly,I have a friend he has them on his fleet,his road expense for tire repair went up much farther than the fuel savings,btw hes getting .2 mpg better with the ss,and he has them on his trailers too

Last edited:

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
I stay on the toll roads more,stopping and starting consume alot of fuel along with increased cross traffic that is more stressful and dangerous.I like to get on a island on the expressway,and 60 in a 70 is a easy way to create a island,alot of following distance and nobody on the side for very long anyway.I try to ignore how close to my bumper the trk of car is when they swing into the left lane to pass me.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I try to ignore how close to my bumper the trk of car is when they swing into the left lane to pass me.

I just snicker at those types. and i am thinking I am making money...Are you????

pellgrn

Expert Expediter
If they hit my bumper the down time and repair cost won't justify the extra cash,not to mention any medical bills.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If they hit my bumper my whiplash, pain and suffering, lost wages and other claims will greatly exceed what I lose while the truck is off the road. There's generally not a huge problem though. If I'm on a two lane road I'll drive a little bit faster, if it's within the posted limit, to not hold up traffic. Periodically I may pull off and let folks pass too. I'm not going to drive any faster than I'm comfortable or is safe.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
at 5 under the speed limit,you will get passed by everything on the road,but thats ok,im laughing all the wayto the bank,and i have not been in an accident because of it,or have held up traffic,except in construcyion,and tghat is because im doing the posted speed,others want to speed,now im saving them too

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Team Caffee,

Since you have a seperate tank for your apu fuel, I'm guessing you have tracked the apu fuel usage? I would be curious as to the manufacturer and size of apu you have also.

Thanks, Rocketman

sullivandave

Seasoned Expediter
It is very hard sometimes to slow down when dispatch calls, we have a pickup from your 20 at 65 mph you can make it in 40 min buuuuut it must be picked up in the hour. and working where i am (Boston) traffic may be two hours so when I got a new van It was gas and i am very glad i did,as it turns out everything is cheaper,the last van i got 300k out of slow down when you can run when you have to

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It IS hard to slow down, conditioned as we are to the need to hurry, but it does no one any good to go so fast that we make mistakes, or have an accident. No matter when the load 'must' be picked up, we need to proceed at a speed that is both safe and smart, ie: fuel efficient. Dispatch won't take the blame for accidents, errors, or excess fuel usage, so the driver should never let Dispatch dictate our speed.
After all, if you can't get there 'on time' for whatever reason, (accident, breakdown, unavoidable delay due to road /traffic conditions), what happens to the freight? It waits until someone can get there, because it won't move itself.
I just hope that the urgency communicated by a Dispatcher doesn't cause anyone to make a dumb mistake, because if you let it, sooner or later, it will.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the usually fairly short distance to a shipper the difference between economical speed and wasteful speed is probably about 5-8 minutes different ETA at the shipper. I always set my status as out of truck on pager xx minutes to truck. That covers the time if I'm inside as far from the truck as I might possibly be plus the time for a proper truck inspection before rolling. If the pu time is marginal I'll tell them so when the load is offered and get them to put in the notes I'll do my best to make the pu time but will not incur a penalty if I don't. Delivery based on 47mph means 62mph is plenty fast enough giving a 1 hour cushion for every 3 hours of driving.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Once in a while 15min to trk might bite me but I get as many loads as I want so if it's hurting me I'm unaware of it. Sometimes it's longer if I want to be able to walk across the street to Cracker Barrel or something. It works for me.

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter

gojack

Expert Expediter
Airtabs...Hmmmm,

Cheap, easy install, Guaranteed 4% savings, that would save Schneider at least 5 BILLION ($5,000,000,000 ) a year, Now thats real money.

FedEx, UPS, Yellow... Any carriers using them?

Sum'ums fishy here...

Only independent test that I can find involving Vortex Generation on a truck is at:

http://www.todaystrucking.com/images/SAE_CVE_2006.pdf

And it's hurting fuel economy.

On cars there is:
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

Last edited:

gojack

Expert Expediter
What's all this I hear about "super-single" tires saving gas? Wouldn't that conversion be worth it right about now given the fuel prices?

Plus, better ride, quieter ride.

Are blowouts that more of a concern though?
The newest most fuel efficient duals save you 4%
Super-single's save 5%, so the cost to switch may not justify savings.
Fuel efficient Duals... The new Michelin XDA-Energy, Goodyear FuelMax etc.,

http://www.rmi.org/images/PDFs/Transportation/T07-10_CanadianTruckEff.pdf

I run SS's, but installed on truck new from factory.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guaranteed 4% savings, that would save Schneider at least 5 BILLION ($5,000,000,000 ) a year, Now thats real money.

I think there's a decimal problem somewhere. To save $5B based on a 4% savings would mean the original expense was $125 Billion. I'm sure they spend quite a bit but don't think it's that much. Perhaps million is the scale.