Inaccurate Mileage

cpboy_1

Seasoned Expediter
Are there any Panther II drivers out there? How about drivers for another carrier? Okay, well does your company pay actual miles? Well recently I started the odometer over at the shipper and counted my miles to the consignee. They were off by 59 miles. I did it again for another delivery and they were off 53 miles. Are these miles, I should be getting paid for, or is is normal?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
How do I say this correctly? Most carieers pay as the crow flies. For some carieers that's thier way of giving a preffered customer a discount. Others may have other views, but you will be hard pressed to find a carieer that pays based on odometer. If it was off more than 10 percent I would want to talk to someone. For example if you were offer a 500 mile run and you actually drive 650 i'd be talking to someone.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Much as I'd like to be paid for all odometer miles, I can't blame the carriers for refusing to pay for extra miles due to missed turns, driver preference (ie: interstate instead of highways, avoiding toll roads, etc), or 'shortcuts' that turned out not to be.
As Arkjarhead stated, the miles are usually very close to actual miles, and any significant difference is something to question.

lonercom

Seasoned Expediter
Usually the carriers pay based on the route that they figure. (PC Miler?) It's called Practical Miles. Some use the old Mover's guide and others go zip code to zip code. Whatever works for them.

A few questions; do you follow the directions given on the QC? Do you use a GPS or a map to trip plan?

I use the Garmin Street Pilot 550. I can program it for faster time or shorter distance. In a cargo van this works fine. I can't tell you haow many times I have made a run and driven less miles than I was being paid for.

In a bigger truck, I might be concerned about bridge clearances and truck routes, not the case in a van. Here is an example for you:

Sanford, Fl. to Toledo, OH. Job paid 1166 miles. All trip planning software said to take 95,26,77,76,80.

A little snooping and I found a short (miles) route over to 75 and straight to Toledo...1103 Miles. It took about an hour more to drive but I saved 63 miles and the fuel. It happens occasionally and I don't give them their money back so I don't complain when I get shorted a few miles.

Also, Panther's QC directions aren't really the best.

BOL in the future.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yep, it's all about business!

Some of the bean counters have a love affair with the mover's guide because it is based on Rail Line Distances.

It most often works in the shipper's favor.

Why?

I tried to follow the tracks with my cargo van, but my wheelbase was not the correct fit!:+

Basically, we can't follow the railroad tracks.

If it were me, and I was involved in the decision process, I would negotiate with the shipper based upon PC Miler distances only. It would more equitable to all parties involved.

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
If you take PC miler or outher trucking maping programs as us the shortest routing not the practial routing you will find that it comes out very close.
just my .02 worth:+

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
The main thing is find out what program your carrier is using because some carriers us programs that are not intended for big trucks.The truth is if i followed those directions and went down a road i was not suppose to i have to pay the fine.So i think its not fair for them to use software that they use for routing that routes us down routes we cant go and this adds miles onto our trips that are unpaid.As for the 10% thing on 500 miles that would be 550 miles not 650.I have 4 different mapping softwares on my laptop and compare all of them to the miles my carrier tells me.Also for what its worth NLM uses PCmiler.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We use microsoft streets and trips with GPS to check our mileage. Every once in a while we get an offer that will be off by 70 miles even on shortest. When we call to complain we are usually told "This customer gets household miles." Whatever that really means. If the load is good enough we will still run it, but we have turned a few down over house miles. Fifty is about average with our offers, when taking into account we may have to change an exit to get to a better road, or drive a little out of the way to drive interstate the entire route. Everything's comes down to your bottom line how many miles can you eat before it's a bad load.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>Every once in a while we get an offer that will be
>off by 70 miles even on shortest. When we call to complain
>we are usually told "This customer gets household miles."
>Whatever that really means. If the load is good enough we
>will still run it, but we have turned a few down over house
>miles. Fifty is about average with our offers, when taking
>into account we may have to change an exit to get to a
>better road, or drive a little out of the way to drive
>interstate the entire route. Everything's comes down to your
>bottom line how many miles can you eat before it's a bad
>load.

I am really curious about the shortage and the per mile rate. If the offer is for 250 miles and you find out it is 320 miles – given a shortage of 70 miles, how much under of the advertised or contracted rate (I am assuming that your contract spells out precisely what your rate is) does this put you?

romoore245

Expert Expediter
That would result in another refusal, but if the load is 900 miles then we run the mileage and it turns out to be 970 driven miles. That makes it acceptable. We do run a flat rate, and we will run long dead heads for a good load, but anything under 400 miles has to be real close to right.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK I understand but what do you do with the 70 mile loss? Do you document it and then write that off?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
rollnthnder,
which is more than 10% 550 on a 500 or 650 on a 500. 550 on a 500 is 10% you might as well let that slide.The example I gave was off by 30%. If you reread what I said I clearly said MORE than 10%.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One way to look at this is FedEx Custom Critical has discounted loads and Panther has Household Mover miles for loads. Works out the same or close I imagine in what a driver is paid.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
>rollnthnder,
>which is more than 10% 550 on a 500 or 650 on a 500. 550 on
>a 500 is 10% you might as well let that slide.The example I
>gave was off by 30%. If you reread what I said I clearly
>said MORE than 10%.
Sorry bud i reread this morning i think i must have been getting a little tired and my brain wasnt working.But i for one feel if they want to sign on big trucks then they need to use software for routing that caters to big trucks not house hold goods crap.We all know we take a chance going these routes low bridges,weight restictions or what ever.And if you get caught your responsible so its just not fair to the owner operator.Then on top of that the mileage is off.Say its off 50 miles per run times that by 5 runs a week thats 250 miles you just ate at a 1.20 that is $300 heck thats almost a tank of fuel.I know there is no way to get paid for every single mile.But i think if all companies used the industry standard PCMILER which is for commercial vehicles alot of this inacurate miles would stop.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Express-One uses Zip to zip and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. We're usually within 15 miles plus-minus. In a van that gets good MPG's it's not so hard to swallow since at the rate of FSC we actually MAKE money on the FSC end of the trip. The extra miles just bites into the bonus bucks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
With Panther, some customers use Household miles, some use PC Miler. What we get paid for is the number of miles on the QC load offer.

I have been shorted just about the same number of miles that I have been overpaid for. I'll have one load that drives 40 miles longer than the offer, then the next load may drive 20 miles shorter, and then the next on after that may be 20 miles shorter. Usually, mine are somewhere within 15 miles up or down.

When I accept an offer and then plug it into the Garmin, if it's significantly off from the QC I'll run it for Car, then Truck, and will run it for shorter distance and faster time for both vehicle types. Then I'll run it through the laptop and play with a few things, too.

Sometimes the vehicle type as car is the same miles, and Truck is what's 30-50 miles further. And sometimes I'll look at the route and decide that I'd rather eat the miles and run the Truck route because I'll keep my sanity longer if I do.

If it's within 10% either way I don't bother with saying anything. If it's significant, I'll ask, and usually find out that it's Rand McNally or Household miles.

I've backed out out of a load only once because of the lowball miles, and that was because the dispatcher was a tool about it.

But generally speaking, the over and under washes out to be about the same.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
>With Panther, some customers use Household miles, some use
>PC Miler. What we get paid for is the number of miles
>on the QC load offer.
>
>I have been shorted just about the same number of miles that
>I have been overpaid for. I'll have one load that drives 40
>miles longer than the offer, then the next load may drive 20
>miles shorter, and then the next on after that may be 20
>miles shorter. Usually, mine are somewhere within 15 miles
>up or down.
>
>When I accept an offer and then plug it into the Garmin, if
>it's significantly off from the QC I'll run it for Car, then
>Truck, and will run it for shorter distance and faster time
>for both vehicle types. Then I'll run it through the laptop
>and play with a few things, too.
>
>Sometimes the vehicle type as car is the same miles, and
>Truck is what's 30-50 miles further. And sometimes I'll look
>at the route and decide that I'd rather eat the miles and
>run the Truck route because I'll keep my sanity longer if I
>do.
>
>If it's within 10% either way I don't bother with saying
>anything. If it's significant, I'll ask, and usually find
>out that it's Rand McNally or Household miles.
>
>I've backed out out of a load only once because of the
>lowball miles, and that was because the dispatcher was a
>tool about it.
>
>But generally speaking, the over and under washes out to be
>about the same.
>
>Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race -
>Aesop

Turtle you make a good point about it being a wash if you do keep track and see that it is a wash then its no biggie.But when you are seeing a 50-60 mile difference in every run.Then something needs to change.I have even ran a run on the same software as who i drive for and still couldnt get the same miles.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So I am confused with this comment; " With Panther, some customers use Household miles, some use PC Miler. What we get paid for is the number of miles on the QC load offer."

The confusion comes from the idea that there should be household miles or PC miler or what ever being used for loads. Sounds like a mess in the making when you look at the bigger picture. I think that maybe using one standard to base the fleet performance would make more sense.

I am still wondering how some of you who get paid per mile write off the losses based on your contract rate, or do you know about this?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Greg

When you say write off the loss are you referring to like Tax write off?

And if you are, would you say we also should claim any excess miles as well?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Attaboy OVM. Ya jes can't have it boff ways, can you??