In-Cab Fever!

mypie

Seasoned Expediter
Update!

Today we left Baton Rouge to reposition ourselves for our Monday run in Mississippi. We took I-10 and found a "J" not too far from our pick-up in Gulf Port.

We dug out the ole' map and found that there was a truck route that runs along the Gulf Shore a short distance away. So, we wiggled our way over there and found a brand new beach with pier and parking spaces big enough for our 6-wheeler. We parked, walked in the sand and the ocean and then walked the pier where all the people were fishing! One guy was catching huge "sheeps head" (its a fish of some kind) and a bunch of kids were pulling out crab, after crab, after crab. I wanted to invite myself to dinner! :D

I wished we had our poles and a hibatchi! Next time we stop home, we're packing it! :p

indydad11934

Seasoned Expediter
Hey guys,

I am originally from Louisiana. This is the time of year when festivals are held. If you can get your hands on a brochure from a rest stop (or even a truck stop) you might find several festivals going on in your area. There is the alligator festival, strawberry festival, gumbo festival, etc......this would be a great opportunity to try some of the local dishes.
I once tried alligator at one of these festivals.

They also have a nice water park in the Baton Rouge area (Blue Bayou Water Park).
It gets pretty humid in La., so this might come in handy!

Good luck!

Les Bon Temp Roulle

Tuckster

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in a straight truck .. what do the folks in TT's do ?? can you drop your trailer (empty) and go to a mall or walmart ?? I'm sure a TT limits you considerably. If you drop the trailer at a truck stop for a few hours, is there a charge ??

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My activities when not driving are forums (here and some not trucking related), reading, ham radio, photography and my hobby, napping. :D

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I'm in a straight truck .. what do the folks in TT's do ?? can you drop your trailer (empty) and go to a mall or walmart ?? I'm sure a TT limits you considerably. If you drop the trailer at a truck stop for a few hours, is there a charge ??

I am in a van, but when I drove TT, I went to Walmart all the time. Most of them don't mind. I was always afraid to drop my trailer until I bought a lock. The times I did, I asked permission from the truck stops. Some will let you some will not. Most truck stops don't charge to park there, though the ones that do are usually in places where there is little other choice.

Fueling will usually get you some free parking. Well always it will wherever I have been which is all 48 states.