I'm getting seriously stoned, lately

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
or at least the windshield is! Are there any do-it-yourself repair kits for the chips? Or is a new windshield the only option?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Depends on how big the chip is. If it is under a quarter size in diameter, then I would call a mobile glass repair shop as they come to you. Most insurance companies offer this coverage, but I would check your policy to be sure.
Most damage is caused when moisture enters the damaged area and expands, causing a crack or a run. At that point, you are looking at new glass if it has ran much more the a quarter inch.
I have seen some "do'it'yourself" kits, but they don't really compare to the pro's equipment.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Another option I might ask the repair people is stop drilling. You or repair people use a tiny glass drill bit and drill out the end of a crack. This can stop a crack from progressing. It isn't a guaranteed solution, but when it does work it can extend the life of the glass maybe an extra season. But don't know what dot thinks of the option. And again you have to do it early before a crack progresses too much. It was a common practice in Alaska when I was up there, because people pretty much went through one windshield per winter.

eb

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I was attacked by salt with stones mixed in with it quit curiously as a county snow plow passed in the opposite direction. That was two years ago, but I contacted Panther and they called SAfelite windows and I payed 100 dollar deductible . Safelite came to the truck stop and replaced the windshield. Maybe things have changed.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Thanks, guys, for the help. The remedy isn't my call, actually, as I don't own the truck, but I like to let the owner know of some possibilities he may not be aware of - saving him money is to my advantage, too. (When I ask for a raise, lol);)

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Cheri,
Not sure what carrier you're with but Landstar has 0 deductable for stoned windshields. Drivers get a free pint of Jerry Garcia Ice Cream to handle the munchies.

I was only on the road 2 days and filled a claim by notifing insurance agent then called local shop set up appointment sweet and painless. Even got to clean that hard to reach crud don't deep in the windshield meets dashboard black hole space.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just for those who aren't aware, Panther's insurance allows for two windshield replacements per year. Most have a $100 deductible, but in a few states there is no deductible (KY, for example, has no deductible).

I replaced one a few months ago, and one last year. In both cases the cracks were bad enough to replace, but it was certainly drivable (have to be careful with that on some vehicles, tho, like the Sprinter, as the windshield is actually a part of the vehicle's structural integrity). I waited until I got home to have them replaced.

Instead of having them come to me, I drove it over to them. Saved them an hour's drive, and in both cases I set up the appointment for first thing in the morning, before all the repair dood's were off to points unknown. That way, instead of one guy working having to drive an hour to get to me, and then work for an hour or two to replace the windshield, I get 3 or 4 guys working on it at once, which only takes about 15 minutes. They like that, I like that, and it also generally ensures a really good replacement job, with all of them watching each other pretty close.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
> or at least the windshield is! Are there any do-it-yourself
>repair kits for the chips? Or is a new windshield the only
>option?

after the repair or a new windshield you can opt for this that i found in truckers connection..."protective window film that can withstand(in their words) flying debris, baseball bats and tire irons."

www.shattergard.com/vehiclegard.

Jack Berry

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
Panthers ins also covers things like wing windows...had a shattered wing window in fargo...looked like someone tried to break into truck while i was showering..called safelite they replaced the entire window assembly for my 100$ deductible. Having had one of those done at freightliner 4 years ago and the cost was over 300$ for the part...not counting labor I found this a great deal.

-charlotte

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
In west memphis right by the Petro there is that little building between the petro and the mcdonalds. In there is a company called Ulitmate Shades Of America they fix window chips as well as doing window tint and vinyl graphics. They have resonable prices to. The guy who owns it is a personal friend of mine name Noe Silva.