I'm getting paid how..?

Ange5670

Seasoned Expediter
This 60/40 split I keep seeing where the driver gets 60% pays for fuel and getting back 100% FSC. That is 60% of the gross, right?... IMO even if it is 60% of the gross, with the fuel prices of today, the deadheading that some of you are doing (hopefully getting paid something.. even if it's a small amount) you may be in a truck that gets bad mileage not that any of them get great mileage (something you wouldn't truly know until after a contract was signed) if you didn't have a APU on board and so on.. many more.. what if's...? It's not that I don't think it would work but it would depend greatly on the truck, price of fuel, the pay of loads and the owner in a lot of departments...

Ok, now 40% driver and 60% owner. This makes better sense to me (if I'm correct in my thinking). Is it 40% of the gross paid.. or 40% after fuel - minus the 100% FSC.. or 40% after fuel only..? IMO the owner doesn't want to lose money.. so it's a better chance that the truck will either be nicely equipped with a APU.. kept in better running condition and less time going from point A to point B to point C ok now you're off making a few $'s.. Maybe I'm totally wrong in my thinking here...

Then I've seen a 50/50 pay talked about. Wouldn't one just call this a mistake to start with..? Unless however it was worked out between the owner & driver to be more of a lease purchase thing...

Ok, so do think I'm way out there with my thinking or what…? LOL :eek:

What has worked or is working best for you..?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I'm pretty sure most people who get 40%, get it before fuel costs. The owner would just pay fuel and keep the fuel surcharge for themselves. Some people say paying for the fuel themselves, and getting 60% plus FSC, make a little more sometimes. On some trips we get, if you do the math, they're right. Sometimes they might make a little or at least have the fuel paid for on that trip. I can't say for sure, because we don't do that, but it seems like it. They probably watch where they DH to and how much they DH if they're paying for the fuel.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Getting either 60% or 40% that figure is from truck gross of load. Mind you if the contract you sign with owner doesn’t specify exactly what your % is then you need to write it in before signing. If you don’t understand the wording written in contract than change wording to your understanding. When I had a verbal agreement before signing contract with my first owner we had agreed I get 100% of FSC. When it came time to sign contract that wasn’t included so I wrote it in then we both signed contract.

Having driver agree to 60% of truck gross of load plus 100% FSC will be beneficial to both driver and owner. These drivers will realize if they slow down more money will go into their pocket than the fuel tank. Thus wear and tear on truck and engine will decrease saving owner money. It becomes a win win scenario.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If the truck has an APU so idling isn't mandatory the 60 plus fsc side is usually going to come out ahead, especially with proactive driving. That means 60-62mph, long following distances, gradual acceleration, limited deadhead and careful route planning. Using the fairly common $1.20/mi. paid by flat rate companies there's 24cpm more in basic pay. With fsc in the 3x cpm range that gives well more than 50cpm extra coming in while fuel shouldn't be more than about 40cpm with the aforementioned proactive driving. If the carrier pays a flat rate fsc based on the avg fuel price then you have to add that and 24cpm and decide if it's better.

Pruittplum

Seasoned Expediter
We drive for a fleet owner. Best deal is to do the 40/60 with them paying fuel ect. We tried the 60/40 with us doing the fuel, ect and we were averaging about 600 a week for 2 of us. Doing it the 40/60 we are averaging 1300.00 a week for 2 of us in Expediting.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We drive for a fleet owner. Best deal is to do the 40/60 with them paying fuel ect. We tried the 60/40 with us doing the fuel, ect and we were averaging about 600 a week for 2 of us. Doing it the 40/60 we are averaging 1300.00 a week for 2 of us in Expediting.

I hate to be a doubting Thomas but there's no way to be on a 60/40 system run the way I run it and describe it and net $600 and on a 40/60 system net $1300 based on the same runs unless you are in about a 3 mpg truck.

JohnO

Veteran Expediter

$700 difference be interested in seeing the math to explain.

Thanks

FEDEXCARHAULER

Seasoned Expediter
When I Was Running A Fleet Of Trucks On With Fecc,my Split Was 60/40,and Drivers Got 100% Of Fsc.they Were In A Tractor Trailer,and There Cut For The Year After Fuel Was Over $100000.now My Driver That Is Hauling Autos,is Also On The 60/40,hes Running Solo,and In Six Monthe Hes Been On,his Cut Has Been $36000 After He Bought Fuel,and In This Business We Get Tips,and Those Are All His.you Can Make More At 60/40 But If Your Naot A Business Person,could Be Less

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When we ran fleet owner trucks, we did the 60/40 with 100% of the surcharge to the driver and the driver paying fuel, and the 40/60 with 100% of the surcharge to the fleet owner and the fleet owner paying fuel.

One fleet owner changed the deal on us from 60/40 to 40/60 so that was a good indication of the difference. The truck and everything else stayed the same. The only change was the compensation arrangement.

When the change was made, it became crystal clear that 60/40 was better for us and 40/60 was better for the fleet owner.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One important item to get in writing is if you are on the 40/60 split and you wish to go home ,who then pays for the fuel and how many deadhead miles to home will the owner spring for. While some individuals such as the previous poster never go home most of us have homes with obligations etc.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While some individuals such as the previous poster never go home most of us have homes with obligations etc.

"never" is the wrong word to use. Correct words include "infrequently," "seldom," or "home less than many other expediters go."

We do not feel the need to frequently return to our address of record, because we feel as fulfilled and at-home on the road as we do at our residence. In other words, we love our life and work on the road. There is no place we would rather spend the majority of our time.

Last edited:

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
One important item to get in writing is if you are on the 40/60 split and you wish to go home ,who then pays for the fuel and how many deadhead miles to home will the owner spring for.

Our owner pays for fuel, but we still track that expense as if it we were paying. I would recommend doing the that for newbies starting out because it sure is an eye opener. We drive 60-63 mph for the most part to conserve fuel.
We have, in the past, paid for fuel out of our pocket to go home (deadhead from Oregon to NC just before Christmas last year). Our owner asks that we limit the deadhead home to about 300 miles and he will pay for the fuel. That isn't a hard and fast rule because we do stay out here for extended periods of time. (4-6 weeks)and will try to get as close to home as possible before dead heading.