If you were President for a day-

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
The comments about getting rid of the EPA are what led to this post.

Most of us agree we need to cut spending. But where do you feel we could best tighten our belts as a country? If you were President for a day, what cuts would you make in spending? Also, why would you make these cuts?

btw/ this section is the best on this site IMO. I never came to this part until maybe a couple of months ago. I don't have the knowledge some of you folks do, but very interesting reads. Even when I don't comment I'll read the threads. Very informative. I also enjoy the point/counterpoint type debates.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As president I could NOT make ANY cuts in spending, not my job. I would, however, veto EVERY budget that was not at least balanced and I would prefer a surplus so we could start paying down the debt.

IF I DID suddenly have the power to cut, I would get rid of the following federal departments etc. Education, EPA, SBA, NPR, NEA.

NO department would be allowed to make law using "rule making" as an excuse. Congress passes laws.

Darn, one day is just NOT enough!

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
I am a little off track with this comment, but I think Congress should not pass legislation without all members who wanted to vote on bill, reading the entire bill and then passing a test on the contents of said bill before voting. Should slow them down some.

jimmy

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am a little off track with this comment, but I think Congress should not pass legislation without all members who wanted to vote on bill, reading the entire bill and then passing a test on the contents of said bill before voting. Should slow them down some.

jimmy

That is assuming that they can read. They should also be required to disclose who WROTE the bills that they are voting on. My congressman NEVER answered me when I asked him who wrote the Obama Care law.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
That is assuming that they can read. They should also be required to disclose who WROTE the bills that they are voting on. My congressman NEVER answered me when I asked him who wrote the Obama Care law.

You hit that square on the nailhead .

jimmy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If I were president for a day I would pen an executive order declaring the Constitution null and void and make myself dictator. Absolutely. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would fire Geitner and his entire, most of the departments other than those which was actually required to run the country and write an executive order selling federal property that is not part of what the government should be doing.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
If your country's government is ANYthing like my country's government, I would hire successful business owners to go into every government entity and cut the fat and clear the dead wood.
These biz owners would teach the government lackies what a day's work and customer service really looks like, put expectations on them to perform that work every single work day, and fire the ones who can't or won't learn. New workers would be hired at average pay rates for the type of work, they wouldn't be hired at twice the rate that other people in outside business earn.
I can't even imagine how much money could be saved by reducing government workers by say, half, leaving only the producers.
Perhaps that 80/20 rule would be applicable here.. fire 80% of the workers since the actual work is probably being done by about 20% of the workers.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am with Layout..1 day just isn't enough....given a few more days, then I am following Turtle...Then you really don't want to know what I'd do.....:D