If you bought a new truck today...

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
My wife actually stumped me the other day and said she would like for us to get our own truck. Right now we drive a Freightliner M2 w/ a 22 foot box and an 84' sleeper on a single rear axle. This truck isn't to bad, but I know I want something a bit better...
Out of all the truck makers out there which one would you go out and buy? I am leaning towards a Sterling. The dealer up in Knoxville has some gorgeous trucks...inside and out.
So, she wants me to get some opinions on the matter...any suggestions?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were going for an "off the rack" D unit I'd go with the Sterling. Two reasons. One, they are very good trucks, at least the two I own. Two, Jon Mosier is a stand up guy and having that in your dealer is important also. If I were going custom I'd start with a KW T660 and I'd get it in Houston. Reason, Fred Sargent at Performance Trucks. He is also a stand up guy. There are some photos of the KW Fred helped me build on the forum somewhere. It's not bad for a "homemade" D.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
BigBuzd1

If you are in the market for a truck I would highly suggest making a huge effort to go the Expo in Wilmington OH. Most of the truck dealers will be there with models to show. You will also have access to many O/O to discuss trucks with. This event can save you a fortune in the long run due to the fact that you have access to so many drivers, dealers and companies in one place. Two days well spent on research.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
the main things i can say is this i don't own a truck and never have but like you i've drove a few. i 've got family that owns truck and what they have always told me is make sure have done research on the truck you are getting, research the company you want to lease to, have your down payment ready, and have yourself a good operating budget. me personally i'd get one of those Pete 386s

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i saw a pete 379 straight truck once that joker was clean. the truck and box where both lke a champane color and it had chrome runnin out the yim-yam. this truck had a drop visor, texas style bumper, and some of those bull hauler turn outs on the exhaust. it was sweeeeet.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Western Star not only is a O/O spec'd truck, but they have one of the best warranties in the industry. The sleeper is about the largest factory built at 82". As for dealers: TSI in Ohio, Bill Moore is one of the best dealerships I have had the pleasure to work with. He specializes in building expedite streight trucks and the finished product is great. As for credit Western Star offers factory direct credit for new trucks and it can not e beat. But again, the ability to get a truck needs to be compared to ability to sustain the operation of the truck over a long period of time. Financing is great but if thing continue to be slow making payments can become difficult. Good luck with your search. Jack

are12

Expert Expediter
If we bought a new truck today, it would be another Sterling. We would also go back to see Jon Mosier at Freightliner of Knoxville. He was very helpful when we were 1st starting out in the business and then again when we bought our new truck.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
>If we bought a new truck today, it would be another
>Sterling. We would also go back to see Jon Mosier at
>Freightliner of Knoxville. He was very helpful when we were
>1st starting out in the business and then again when we
>bought our new truck.

yup...a lot of people I speak with mention Knoxville Sterling...there must be a reason.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
If I bought a truck today it wouldn't be a new one . The particulate filters raised the price several thousand dollars on new trucks . You can save thousands by buying a well maintained used truck .

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
The new trucks are going to be more expensive.
John Mosler (as mentioned above) said that is why he stocked up on the 2007's when I met and briefly chatted with him at the Expedite Expo Friday.
I am not suprised that the previous posters on this thread reccomend him. Sincere, honest, patient.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
The QC just beeped on me and woke me up from a dream...I was just about to find out what my new truck looked like...I was walking around the last row of trucks...the dealer was standing there...and then, BEEP!!!!
couldn't get back to sleep
:'(

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
After just buying my first truck after a lot of investigation I have to say look hard at the slightly used units especially the class 8 units. Let someone else take that that first off the lot hit. Balance your revenue stream with the costs of the unit. Dont drive for the truck let it drive for you.

I would highly recomend a Class 8 as they generally have a longer service life, better selection of powerplants and more power then you find with most expiditer trucks out their especially when you add the humoungous sleepers everyones putting on these days. I find it difficult to beleive that people are buying the hinos with big sleepers and killing their payload capacity thus limiting thier ability to generate revenue. You can run your class 8 with the light loads and hardly stress the engine. If you go the other way your always taking the risk of loading close to your gvw and putting more wear and tear on your unit effectively shortening your service life. I would also recommend a 24' box (102 x 102) if possible to increase your ablity to get more runs. Of course the bigger the box the smaller the sleeper so i guess thats a personal choice.

I would also suggest that you might also consider buying a slightly used tractor and having it stretched if you cant find an expiditer you like. Of course the tractor would have to be bargain priced to make the strech cost effective, but it is possible if you have the time to invest in waiting to get on the road.

I guess my last point is that the industry looks like its trending toward larger expedite loads which makes the larger trucks more desirable. Additionally most carriers will allow a well maintained class 8 truck to stay in service with them for up to 10 years which means you actually might pay that sucker off before its all used up.

I am by no means an expert on this topic but i have put a lot of time and effort into the analysis. I almost sucked on to the new truck with the new truck payment (class 7) but i stopped and thought about it and figured that the payment and also importantly the insurance costs didnt work with the revenue streams available in these uncertain economic times.