Idling in Sprinter

Heffard

Seasoned Expediter
Just had work done on 2008 Sprinter. While under a load in OK, engine light came on and performance became sluggish. Limped the truck to Indiana (got load delivered) and found a terrific dealer right where I was at.

They replaced that particulate filter and sensor, and then another light during test drive required replacement of a valve actuator. All work covered under warranty.

I asked what could have caused the problem. The service manager said excessive idling. He recommended avoiding idling over 30 minutes. With the cold snap the whole country just had, no way. I sleep in this thing.

Owner is shopping for a generator/auxillary power solution. Until then, I will continue idling.

Just wondering if anyone had advice?
Sorry for long post.

Heffard

Seasoned Expediter
I have only been driving since first of December. Owner is hopeful to have a solution by spring or summer.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Idling isn't great but if you have to keep the following in mind,

Specific to an 07 and up Sprinter'

When you idle for a while, be prepared for the van to smoke when you get back on the highway. Most vehicles with an oxidation catalyst will do this.

If you do idle, it is extremely important that you are using the correct MB229.51 oil. During the long idle, the exhaust contains more oil residue than during normal operation. Engine oils contain additives that will plug up a DPF over time and cannot be burned off during a normal regeneration (DPF has to come off and be cleaned).

The OM642 engine that is in your van is a very efficient engine and does not produce a lot of heat at idle, prolonged idling at 30 degF outside will translate into an engine barely able to hold 140 deg (unless you have the aux Espar heater booster from the factory). 140 deg is not hot enough to a)provide much heat inside to you and b) not hot enough to boil off any condensation in the engine (which you will be getting a fair bit...and thats bad).

Bottom line, avoid it....but if you have to..make sure you have the correct engine oil!!!

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
With the I5 engine it is recommended to increase the idle to around 1000rpm. This kept more heat in engine and had the benefit of little or no smoke afterwards. Not sure if this would work on the v6 and the new type exhaust. I use an idle stick to maintain the idle up. Wedge it between the pedal and the bottom edge of the panel. I cut mine a tiny bit longer than some have stated so I can actually vary the idle rpm from 950-1200 quite easily. Really nice on cold days. Used this near Nipigon Ont in -27 degree weather.
Rob

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I got to thinking: so, Sprinters are made with German technology, and the Germans made great planes in WW2 and many were aircooled, so was the VW years ago. My question is, why can't aircooled engines make a come back for autos/diesels, its a thought, surely somewhere between Detroit and Europe it could be done..............mabye

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Sky,
I don't know about the made great planes thing, how many of them are flying today?

Ever see a DB601 up close and personal?

The reason you won't see too many air cooled engines in todays market is;

People want heat and emissions.

I like VW engines but also Porsche's engines. Even Porsche dropped air cooled stuff in '98.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Sky,
I don't know about the made great planes thing, how many of them are flying today?

Ever see a DB601 up close and personal?

The reason you won't see too many air cooled engines in todays market is;

People want heat and emissions.

I like VW engines but also Porsche's engines. Even Porsche dropped air cooled stuff in '98.

guess ive been watching the military channel 2 much,lol

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why would you want an air cooled engine? I had a couple of Bugs and it made me appreciate having a car with a good heater in the winter.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Only had one beetle, 1967, did not have heater problems, but I never got past Tennessee with it either, but it was a good car and the engine was great, time moves on:eek:

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
There are some aircooled engines still around but not of large capacity for buggies (or not that I've seen lately). All my vw's had that gas fired heater and the last one was ducted into the normal heater ducts. I never had to scrap ice off the windows. Just start the buggy, turn on the heater (had 475f output) and go make a coffee, come out hop in the vw and turn on the wipers to clear the water off and drive. If the normal heating system didn't output enough, crank on the gas heater and boil.

Oh yeah the Germans did make some nice aircraft. The db601 had an injection system so you could actually fly the ****ed thing upside down, unlike the Spits and Hurricanes which used carbs and stalled in some flying attitudes.
Rob

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Heheheh ... you didn't know that brevity was one of my fine attributes ?

The OP didn't ask about that :D

Well due to the fact that this seems to be out of character, it must be an illegal substitution. 15 yards and third down. tweeeet.:D

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
I have a fleet of 08 Sprinters and we idle ALOT! Factory installed fast idle, idles at 1500rpms. If engine is not fast idled - power will be lost, until vehicle stops and won't start (engine fail safe mode) Only solution is EGR valve replacement or cleaning. If engine must be running when stopped - fast idle is the only solution. JMO, Jack

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Up here in the great white north the last price I saw was $1800 installed with timer switch which allowed you to run the heater and have engine warmed up and heater fan to heat cabin. Recommend second battery so as to have enough power to start in morning.
Rob