I want a wider Aerocell!!!

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi all,

We just stopped and looked at some Aerocell’s at Hunter Erie Truck Sales. (off I90 by Erie, Pa). Now as many of you know, we drive a D unit but we have really considered going to a van type vehicle. The reasons are many but here are a few:

Overhead, overhead, overhead
Fuel milage
Dead head Pay and Regular Pay per mile that vans get compared to D units
Parking ability
Maneuverability

My question is: Why can’t/don’t companies manufacture one of these type vehicles so that you could get the mandatory 2 skids across the back side-by-side?? I mean, what are you talking here another couple of inches on each side? All a manufacture would have to do is flare the rear of the body another couple of inches for four feet.

If, for example, Aerocell were to manufacture a unit with inside dimensions that enabled the carrier to put the mandatory 2 skids side-by-side, I think the demand would be phenomenal with expediters. I know we would get one in a heart beat. We would love to down size but being out here as long as we are at a stretch, I would go crazy not having more room in what the average van/sprinter has to offer. If you could get 2 skids side-by-side, the actual sleeper/bunk space would double and you would be able to carry the amount of freight that most companies require of you. With this design there would be no need for moving beds etc and your freight could be easily blocked off from the sleeper/bunk area. Customerswould be able to customize their living space! The possiblities are amazing. You van owners/drivers just think you could have a permanent living arrangement without having to move things around and the freight would not be sitting in the same area as you. You could even put your pants on standing up! You might even have enough space to do a jumping jack! In addition, I think expediting companies would benefit because there would be more team vans available. (I know someone would have at least one more team):)

I realize that the current demand for these type vehicles is delivery/service vans but there is another market out here! I also realize that many companies allow people to have sleepers built right in the boxes of smaller trucks but this takes away from the whole concept of having a van. (ie., the above sited reasons for downsizing)

Now, regardless as to whatever your personal opinion of Alumi-bunk is, they were smart. They saw a demand for a sleeper bigger than a coffin. They also included even in their most basic designs some needed amenities in their vehicles. They have benefitted all the way to the bank. They went out on a limb for the expediting industry and I would dare say 80% of all expediters out here have had, or currently have, their product! Why in the world doesn’t some other company step up to the plate and provide a van type alternative that would allow 2 skids to be carried side-by-side?

mcbride-

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi,

I just looked at your message.....

I sell commericial trucks (Ford, Chevy and GMC) like the Unicell products and have a good relationship with the company.

They will build anything you want (for a price of course)....the units you looked are probably stock items....

E-mail me with a description of what you want it to look like dimensions etc. and I'll speak with Unicell to try to develop a product........

I just saw the principals from the company (Unicell) in Baltimore on Wednesday at the NTEA show...and they have some new configurations coming out utilizing an E-350 or C3500 Cutaway chassis that may be well suited for your needs......

Let's chat....If you can bring customers I can deliver trucks (all brands.....)

In addition...there are a few other companies out there that are also willing to listen to ideas for bodies.......

Well anyway my 2 cent worth !!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank in Pa.

P.S. - I'm curious....is the business slowing down for you guys...didn't you just get a new truck...I was considering getting into this business (you guys were like role models !!!)....Should I be re-considering ????????

"The Beast in the East":)

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Frank,

>They will build anything you want (for a price of
>course)....the units you looked are probably stock items....

oh, they will..hmm so the designs they use aren't a mold of some type?

>E-mail me with a description of what you want it to look
>like dimensions etc. and I'll speak with Unicell to try to
>develop a product........

We are interested in a unit that will hold 2 skids side-by-side instead of end-to-end,thereby, giving more room for a sleeper/bunk.

>I just saw the principals from the company (Unicell) in
>Baltimore on Wednesday at the NTEA show...and they have some
>new configurations coming out utilizing an E-350 or C3500
>Cutaway chassis that may be well suited for your needs......

We would be interested in seeing the new configs. Will they be posted on their web site?

>Let's chat....If you can bring customers I can deliver
>trucks (all brands.....)

Well, I really don't know much about customers/selling but I do believe that there is a market for "something" new. As I said before, Alumi-bunk took a chance and they surely have gained considerable profit. In addition, competition was, and is, the eventual outcome, thus the truck expediter unit is noe more affordable. They have, if I recall, a van setup as well. We saw it at the Expo but their setup is not what we are interested in mostly because we are a team that stays out for very long periods of time and the sleeping/bunk area was too small.

>In addition...there are a few other companies out there that
>are also willing to listen to ideas for bodies.......

Really? Who and where?

>P.S. - I'm curious....is the business slowing down for you
>guys...didn't you just get a new truck...I was considering
>getting into this business (you guys were like role models

Nope, business is not slowing down but given the fuel prices now and the lack of the company we lease with raising rates/fuel charges we are looking at other alternatives. Our truck is a 2001. Role models? Geesh, I don't know what to say about that....

Friends of ours have vans and they do well. As a matter of fact, in comparison they get paid more per mile than we do. If a van can make $9,000 or $10,000 per month or get a $1.00 a mile and get the fuel milage they do, have the lower payments, and overall operating costs then it becomes a no brainer. Just generally, if you look at the cost of basic things like tires, fuel, insurance and even washes, the differences are amazing. The hard part for me comes when I think of staying with my spouse in a van for months at a time....we currently have a larger than average sleeper with a few perks and downsizing is not something we really want to do with respect to comfort.

>!!!)....Should I be re-considering ????????

No, of course not BUT, I think the companies out here don't realize or appreciate the costs involved with owning and maintaining a D unit. We work very hard at keeping our truck up to snuff so that we represent the company we lease with in a responsible and professional fashion. Frankly, I am discouraged that we, as expediters, have to play the switch company game so much. Just looking on this forum alone, you can note that most of us have been with at least two companies and some have been with many more. One company will have polite professional dispatch, one won't bother you about being in service, one doesn't care how old your truck is, one has a rider policy...and the list goes on and on. I guess I am just discouraged that there is no company that meets all of our criteria....criteria, I might add, that is NOT unrealistic in my opinion. Every company has a glitch and I guess we just have to find the one that is the lesser of the other evils...

I would be interested in what others deem to be important with regards to choosing a company to lease on with. It just doesn't seem like rocket science to me. If we were all were treated as people by these companies and not as "dumb truck drivers" with an IQ of 50, or as numbers, or just warm bodies everyone would benefit. All the companies we run for look at the bottom profit line but don't expect or want us to do the same.

I will get off my soap box now.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
mcbride...well put! *your soapbox looks alot like mine*:)

Your idea of side by side skids is a good one , but I was thinking about the weight distribution especially if they were 1 ton skids? Thats 2 tons right over the rear end.
An extended wheel base van and box with about 14 foot cargo bay would give alot of inside room for 2 skids end to end and 4-5 feet for sleeper, would it not? AND if you had the 98 in. wide interior 2 could go up against the bulkhead and the 3rd or even 4th skid on the end?
Imagine a 4 skid van?

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Choosing a co. & other stuff

In respone to Mcbride, regarding "I would be interested in what others deem to be important with regards to choosing a company to lease on with."

You talked of the company switch game..."that we, as expediters, have to play the switch company game so much."

Well, I know when I am shopping for a new seat with a new company, I look at dispatch. Dispatch is the key to my success, After ME Ofcourse. lol. They are the ones that are going to be talking to you in the middle of the nite (hopefully, lol) when there's horrible weather out & you're fighting to see out the windshield-& they're the ones that will be getting you directions most of the time, good or bad as they may be. To me, Dispatch is very important.

Personally thats one of the reasons I did not look at Landstar much, once I found out they worked with brokers & load boards...no way-I'd rather have a real person personally.

Another thing I look at is their trucks/busses & their facilities/offices.
Are they working out of a double wide trailer or are they in a 3 story office building or what? Is their parking lot littered with potholes? are the offices clean? or is there paperwork all over the floors & post-it notes all over the door frames? Are they working with new computers or an IBM PC from 1988? There's a host of things to look at.
Take Panther for example-speak of them what you will, however I think I got a good deal from them, if I run 90% of what they offer me for 15 days...wham!-$250 to me, if I stay there 90 days...another 250 bucks, then on top of that my owner is gonna give me 250 bucks if I stay with his truck for 90 days!

The idea's/opinions behind who treats who as what...

Take dispatchers (again) for the most part are decent folks-just like drivers, they're in a seat doing a job-sometimes it's ok & sometimes it's not so ok. Overall though I find if you respect your dispatch, whether it's one person or 4 people you're ok.

Have a sense of humor, ask how they're doing, make them feel like they're more than a number-it goes both ways. Ask how their family is & all that jazz, Not Just About The Weather.

Remember this if nothing else: Companies, They make you feel as good as you make them feel. By "they" I mean the office in general.

Anytime I run a bus for a company-& I run Part Time for 4 different bus fleets, I always make an effort to let the office personel know how I appreciate them. Call it kissing up, brown nosing, whatever you want-but it works-& you all know I'm right. Treat the boss like he or she is a King/Queen & most of the time they'll treat you pretty decently back.

Trucking is as glorious as you make it out to be.

By the way, Mcbride, I sent ya'll an e-mail, trying to get in touch with you about the truck/trucks---Found out Alumi-Bunk Re-plumbed the truck back in Oct/Nov. 'cause the everything froze up & got ruined-they didn't drain water out of anything on the truck when the truck was sitting/in storage...hope all is well with ya'll, Later, Bob.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: Choosing a co. & other stuff

Hi BBB,

> Well, I know when I am shopping for a new seat with a
>new company, I look at dispatch. Dispatch is the key to my
>success, After ME Ofcourse. lol. They are the ones that are
>going to be talking to you in the middle of the nite
>(hopefully, lol)

I agree totally and I think that this is sorta where I am having difficulty now. It's really not that any one person is mean....I think I am just discouraged. (maybe it is winter lol) Actually I shouldn't be discussing this whole subject so openly anyway...LOL I will email you.

>Personally thats one of the reasons I did not look at
>Landstar much, once I found out they worked with brokers &
>load boards...no way-I'd rather have a real person
>personally.

What turned us off to Landstar was the fact that brokers/agents don't have to give your truck a load if they don't want to, they can save any loads they have and give them to other trucks back to back. They don't have first in, first out. Another thing we found out was that the brokers/agents keep track of loads you have turned down or refused. Landstar's pitch is that it is your business and no one keeps track of, or cares, if you turn loads down....not true.

>Another thing I look at is their trucks/busses & their
>facilities/offices.

Yup, and is there a place for you to park your truck, a lounge or a place where one could chat with other drivers and employees etc...

>>Take Panther for example-speak of them what you will,
>however I think I got a good deal from them, if I run 90% of
>what they offer me for 15 days...wham!-$250 to me, if I stay
>there 90 days...another 250 bucks, then on top of that my
>owner is gonna give me 250 bucks if I stay with his truck
>for 90 days!

Wow. I don't know much of anything about Panther other than what I have heard...it has some sort of pay scale tier system where certain drivers make one amount and others make a different amount...no one has actually ever explained to me how it works.

>Take dispatchers (again) for the most part are decent
>folks-just like drivers, they're in a seat doing a
>job-sometimes it's ok & sometimes it's not so ok. Overall
>though I find if you respect your dispatch, whether it's one
>person or 4 people you're ok.

Yup, we all have a job to do and a professional attitude will get you so much on either end.

>By the way, Mcbride, I sent ya'll an e-mail, trying to get
>in touch with you about the truck/trucks---

Yes, I saw your email sail by eyes as it sped away in my spam folder. I posted a message hoping you would see it sailed away. LOL Please re-email me if you happened to save it.

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
Hi. The idea for a 102" wide van is a good one except it is not legal to run a 102" wide anything on most state and county roads in the USA. I just heard this week that KY is cracking down on 102" tractor trailers on a lot of their roads with very stiff fines. You may want to check into where all you can run 102" wide.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
[/center]

Your idea is still a good one Nancy! So go with a 98 - 99 - or 100 inch box and have 2 side doors on it so it can be loaded from the side of the van on either side.

[center][img src="http://www.emotipad.com/liteemoticons/Cheers.gif"]
[/center]​