I QUIT

Gypsy

Expert Expediter
Well I finally did it, quit expediting. Called up TST today and told them. He asked why and I told him I couldn't go on loseing money or only making $300 a week. I got very tired of setting all the time. My B unit cargo van is in the for sale ads here. Get out while you can!

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
so what do you want? an award?

You aint the first and won't be the last. you every think it might be your choice of truck or company? Heck, it might even be you!

X

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey Mr X Man,cut Gypsy some slack. He is just frustrated and needed to vent and blow off steam..

gump

Expert Expediter
Man I just cant sleep after seeing the reply mr expediter gave to gypsy....i thought this was a place to come to vent and be among friends that care and understand...this is a very tough time for alot of us lately,and in a lot of cases its not the driver that failed....some yes..all no way.
I can see gypsy had a rough time with this decision,i must admit its been on my mind too,gypsy your not alone and a few of us here do feel your pain.were a group and we should stick together when one of us is down.gypsy let me know what you decide to get in to..a few of us sincerely care.

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
sorry if the truths hurts. didnt mean to p-o anyone. you just get tired of hearing it the t-stops all the time. if your gonna do it...........do it and be done thats all I said.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gypsy,I started my expediting career 12/98 with TST. I left them 9/99 for the reason you did. As an example, they once left me sitting south of Nashville for 2 days, no load offers, and refused to give me a deadhead T.O. Friday night because I was "in a good spot". I went to Thompson with my B unit and have done pretty well. Like you, I was going to get out. I sure wasn't having the experience the recruter described. Imagine that! But for now I plan to stay.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Gypsy: I have also QUIT. I have 2 2001 cargo vans and there is no use trying to sell them. I quit on New Years Eve. Midnight. I went outside and there was no signs in the sky or phone calls of sympathy that I could see. I called my driver (who was sitting at home) and he was not surprised. Don't look back and don't look for any understanding from anybody,except those that are in the same spot as we are. That creep that wrote you about getting an award is in the same boat but to stupid to know it. I know people just like him. I had both of my vans with Con-Way Now and I am sure they could come up with several reasons why I am shutting down. None of these reasons would incllude the fact that they over-recruited or favored some of their old cronies in their dispatch procedures. My driver has been listening to the vans in the parking lots and he has heard talk of LAW SUITS against some of these companies. I am waiting to see where this goes. Lets see if any of this talk makes it to the FORUM. Good luck to you !}>

homeless andy

Expert Expediter
I just started driving a B unit for an owner-operator at the beginning of November. I averaged one run a week until the middle of December. I was extremely unhappy about it and the o/o must have known, because he's offered me the opportunity to drive a C unit. I'm sure he wasn't too happy about it either, neither one of us makes any money if the unit is sitting still. Maybe I'm being naive, but I feel like my income should increase dramatically. If possible, why not trade the van up to a C unit? The load possibilities increase by 2-3 times as well as the rate. Of course you have to deal with the hassles of logging and scaling, but if you truly want to drive, it would seem a small price to pay to continue in this career. From what I've seen, you can buy a C unit for about the same price as a van, you do not need to upgrade your license, there is more room for a sleeper, no road limitations, etc. It may be worth considering. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know your pain. I lost my truck (c unit) last april and went through bankruptcy. Mister xpediter is an a*&hole and don't waist your energy getting upset with BS comments from him. Don't know were you live but you could still make a living driving your van. Look in the big cities for independent couriers. Maybe not as much mony but can still make a living. Maybe jump on something else until the economy changes. Thats what I am doing. Waiting for the right time to jump back in. Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Randy

>Well I finally did it, quit expediting. Called up TST today
>and told them. He asked why and I told him I couldn't go on
>loseing money or only making $300 a week. I got very tired
>of setting all the time. My B unit cargo van is in the for
>sale ads here. Get out while you can!
:)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You know I looked at all these posts and with one exception we all feel this guys pain. It is truly a family of Expediters,we may drive different units,contract with different companies but we are all in this trucking Expedite world together.. It!s not always easy but is there a better way to make a living,"I don!t think so" but when someone packs it in they need our support and sympathy not harsh words.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Sorry to here about you throwing in the towel, but sometimes people don't have no other choice.

You’re no stranger to the forum, so you know people say things on here sometimes without giving it a second thought. Sometimes you have to take things that people say, with a grain of salt and move on. I am willing to bet,--- your announcement of quitting hit most of us right in the gut. At times when we (ALL US BIG OLD TOUGH MOCHO GUYS)get hit where it hurts, all we will do is strike back. In doing so we will say the exact thing that we believe applies to ourselves. Your shocker may have hit Mr. X right smack in the kisser and he may fear his slow down in runs could possibly be his own fault. Then again maybe not. In any event we all know that Mr. X is just as upset as the rest of us or he would've never even replied. I would have to say, if someone didn't care or if they are glad you are going, they would have went to the next post, or replied with something like, --- leaves more work for me!

I hope you find something that will give you the same freedom as Expediting. Good Luck to ya! hope you will keep in touch by coming back to the forum.

boxtruck6

Expert Expediter
im too sorry that you leaving the industry gypsy! but i too started out in a b-unit 4 years ago, the run,s kept getting shorter and longer inbetween, then i moved up too a c-unit which i regret for you doing c-unit work for b-unit money,in my experince. but now i run a d unit, yes it,s a lot more paperwork, but considerable amount more money. i guess what i,m trying too stress here if you really like what your doing, why give up keep trying till you see what works for you. and you been in the business for a while and got past that phone call 2 or 3 in the moringing for that next hot load, and still doing it you must like what you doo! anyway just my thoughts boxtruck,,,,,,:eek:

schpanker

Expert Expediter
Gypsy: Do not worry about that A** H**** comment. Business decisions not only bear upon the pocket book, they also bear on your entire being. I resigned from TST today. My reasons were numerous and justified as are yours. TST has a very low gross to operating income ratio per truck include q-comm, workmans comp, truck insurance, com data fees, then tie those in to your fuel costs, otr costs, maintainance, and truck lease/ or payment. Let us not forget deadhead miles that are on us, makes no sense to sit in a truckstop lot when a driver could be at home with loved ones?, does it? My operating costs with TST were .58 cents a mile minus plates and permits. That does not leave much to live on at home. There are also ethical considerations such as mandatory illegal runs to save their precious Fed Ex points. Bottom line o/o's assume all liability's, incur all costs, and listen to the whip crack when headquarters declines requests to remain safe and legal. Also if there are any DOT violations who pays for them?, the o/o's; all the while they make petty dictator demands....Remember we own the trucks, they would have no bank roll without our efforts, money, fleet presence and willingness to be away from loved ones which is priceless. I am shopping for opportunity, use your dissappointment for inspiration, as my good friend says " somethings happen for a reason." Good look Gypsy and always keep rolling on you will find whatever it is that you should be doing. Peace, prosperity, and hope from the Schpanker........!!!

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I HAVE 3 TRUCKS (D UNITS) AT TST AND I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH THEM. I'VE BEEN THERE SINCE APRIL 2001, AND HAVE ALWAYS GOT GOOD RUNS, AND ALL MY DRIVERS ARE HAPPY. I DON'T DRIVE ANYMORE, I HAVE 3 TRUCKS AT TST AND 2 IN CHICAGO AS IN HOUSE TRUCKS THATS WHY I DON'T DRIVE, BUT, THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN GOOD TO ME, SO FAR, AND TREATED ME VERY WELL. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR PROBLEMS WITH TST WERE, BUT I DO AGREE WITH YOU WHEN YOU SAID ALL THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON. I HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THEN YOU SEEMED TO HAVE AT TST, AND I HOPE EVERYONE WHO LEAVES WHATEVER COMPANY THEY ARE WITH SUCCESS. I HATE TO SEE SOMEONE GIVE UP JUST BECAUSE THEY HAD BAD LUCK WITH A COMPANY.:+

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: I QUIT/TST

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it's one that many are finding themselves in. I got into expediting just before the slump hit in the fall of 2000, but have survived by becoming a "gypsy" and moving when necessary. The jerk who first replied is typical of many who could care less about their fellow workers- like the driver one day on the CB who crowed that with Consol. Freight. going under he would have more work! I think you should try the courier idea- I don't know how you vans can stand this racket anyway.
Would like more info on TST and how D'units are doing. I think Paperback answered me one other time- I'm the guy with the ISC 300E with the over-cooling problem due to core sand. Cummins is finally giving me a new cylinder head after 95M miles! I am almost set to go back to TST, but now I'm wondering if I should hold tight. Like the amount of work available if it can stay constant. I think we all took a big hit in Nov and early Dec. Don't like the pay scale and some other requirements, like waiting for a load in an area if I want to go Home or elsewhere. At .15 less per mile, DH becomes more prohibitive. Like to get out myself, but think I'm stuck with my big white for awhile. 20 resumes sent out last spring in non-trucking and one interview for a dispatch position! Any thoughts...?

barbara_r99

Expert Expediter
RE: I QUIT/TST

I'm a dispatcher and I just want to say DONT GIVE UP!!! Things are bad right now but hang in there because I expect things to get way better and soon. I have been on both sides of the fence so I know what its like to be an O/O. As a dispatcher I am also concerned about my job.(no freight means the boss cant cover payroll) Its tight all over and maybe its just the company youre with. I know that I am pro driver..I try to do as much as I posssibly can for the drivers without going totally broke doing it. Stay strong, keep the faith and maybe you may want to look for another company to sign on with. There is light at the end of the tunnel!