I put how many calories on my SALAD?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
On a recent conference call with Bob Perry he discussed salads and hidden calories.

Bob had me laughing out loud when he talked about Croutons and he called them sneaky little calorie devils...

1/2 cup 61 all bad calories

Ranch Dressing

2 TBLS 148 Calories

His suggestion was to mix your own dressing if you do not like Oil & Vinigar

Get a cup or small bowl

add olive oil and a little vinegar to taste
add a small amount of the dressing you like for flavor

Pour a small amount on your salad and then cut the salad up which will mix the dressing in very well and you will use less dressing and take in less calories.

Missie600

Active Expediter
Since we are on a lower carb diet we do not count calories. Sometimes our salads probably have really high calories. We include boiled eggs, cheese, meat and avacados. I also try to get a variety of greens and non starchy veggies.

We get really excited about avacados. They must be in season right now because they have all been beautiful inside. I have learned a new way to get the avacado out of it's skin.

We have a scale on board and weigh ourselves every Friday. Gary has lost 10 lbs and I have lost 5 since the first of the year. It is a slow loss but we are not starving and feel very satisfied.

All the new nutritional information is leading to higher fat diets. We have been mislead for years about eating low fat foods. The new lower carb diets do allow you to eat loads of non starchy veggies and a small amount of fruit and nuts along with the standard fare of eggs, cheese, and meat. Of course bread is out of the picture but we have learned to deal with it. Occasionally we might be in a situation where we end up at a fast food place and really don't want a salad so we get a sandwich or burger.

Ok, I have rambled on long enough! :D

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
We have been on a reduced carb and lower calorie diet for a few weeks, treated ourselves to the Olive Garden a couple nights ago, that unlimited salad they bring is good, but about 150 calories per serving, even trying to watch it I ate about double my goal for dinner!

TS