I need back up lessons on a semi?I will pay. GA

henboy1

Expert Expediter
I have a class A and I have never been over the road but I have driven a few times locally and mostly class B straight trucks.Is someone around Ga willing to give me back up lessons? I will pay them.
I will assume this will be an owner operator.

vipra

Expert Expediter
RE: I need back up lessons on a semi?I will pay. G

I used to drive trucks but am in a van now, so I can't help out, but here's a suggestion: call truck driving schools in your area and see if they'll give you lessons. If the schools say no, get in touch with one of the instructors when he's away from the school and see if he'll do it in his spare time. Good luck---

raceman

Veteran Expediter

Not sure what you are looking for. You simply have to learn to back up. A person can only tell you what to do you must make your brain do it.

Here is a suggetion that I am sure will help you. Learn to make your brain, eyes and hands work togeather. Want the trailer to go to the left? Put your left hand on the wheel at 9 o clock and begin rotating it towards 3 o clock. Think of this in you head as "Trailer left, left arm up" Want the trailer to go right? Place right hand at 3 O clock and move it towards 9 o clock. Thin of it as Trailer right, right arm up.

Give it a shot works like a charm. Well it did a number of years ago technology may have past me by. Ha! I kill me

Raceman
OTR O/O

hounddog1

Seasoned Expediter

My dad taught me with one simple lesson. 1. Use your mirrors 2. Which ever way you want your trailer to go, turn your steering wheel the opposite way. Example: want your trailer to go to your right, turn the steering wheel to the left. Remember the longer the trailer is the more reaction time you have to compensate--DO NOT GET IN A HURRY!! 3. Make sure you know what is behind you. No charge for this lesson.:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Find an empty dock and practice, practice, practice. I know 90 degree is a pain, and you may need help to figure out the basics. In that, I agree with Vipra in finding a school instructor to help you.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter

If you cannot find one, I have a school that will help you out. Contact me thru the E/O private mail I have the phone number etc... I think your idea is great for posting here, practice thats all that is keeping me from a class A and as soon as I find the time I will be following you in your tracks.

I want to feel comfortable that I am backing and shifting when I go to get my class A. Happy Trails...

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter

And one more thing.
When backing it up
Keep your eye on the
end of the truck.
Do not look at the sides.
That was the mistake that i was making.
Soon as i figured out what i was doing wrong,
The trailer went right in.

Mike
Whitewolf 53

HERE LIZARD LIZARD LIZARD

:p :p :p :p :p :p
:9 :9 :9 :9 :9 :9

henboy1

Expert Expediter

I found a school after all this run around.It seems friends that I asked to either drive for them or teach me is a "run around".I finally gave up and found a school in Ga.The class takes 6 weeks (48hrs)and this is on weekends and the fee is $410.
This is by far the cheapest.My old school that I graduated from wanted $800 for just one day.Another school wanted $70/hr.A Vocational school wanted to enroll me in the whole program and wanted me to apply for the HOPE/PELL.
I have come to realise that if you need help you can only rely on yourself.I skipped going over the road after school and started looking locally for a job.I found a crapy one that paid $10/hr through an agency and this was delivering frozen foods and they loaded the trucks with 10,000ibs in a class B.I remember driving a 35foot trailer to TN but I had few problems in backing up.
I start this class in two weeks.
I also plan on buying my own at the end of this yr.

henboy1

Expert Expediter

I started the class and it has been two sessions already.My first day was so rough and I felt like I had never driven a truck.Backing up that 30 foot trailor was headache and hard.
I did learn that those shorter trailors have a 5-7 feet reaction and that makes it harder.I started docking the trailer at the end of the second session.It is all a matter of almost keeping the tractor straight with the trailor while backing up.
I also know the road lessons will be much easier.I have 4 more sessions to go and then start shopping for a tractor.