Canada I like runnin Canada

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
Just got my fast card approval letter, and have to go do that interview deal...
Anyway the miles are good usually going in and out of there, my company pays a decent little amount for going over and back.

The only thing that I dont quite understand up there is why is everything so expensive?

Sitting at home here for a while waiting on my co-driver and the holidays to get over.

Its cool up there, reminds me of Germany a little, very clean.

No point to this post really, just bored.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Canada is very different, though they're becoming more like us... annoying. Before you go over, exchange some money at the duty-free store. Their prices are higher cause they have 15% taxes on most stuff in Ontario (that's between fed and provincial taxes). Whatever you do, fill up before you go over! Fuel is more like $3-3.50/gal there. Fuel at the Ambassador Bridge is always the cheapest in the area.

The best thing you can do, since prices are higher there, is get out without buying anything. Although, my wife and I visit all the time (she's from London), and we always find deals. Just gotta know where to shop. I don't find the truckstop food to be anymore expensive than New England. And it's usually TONS better! Talk about home-cooked meals!

Now you can tell I'm bored :7

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see we're having a bored meeting.

T-Hawk has it right about watchng where you spend your money. If you're going there on a regular basis you'll find places to go that are reasonable. A few years back the exchange rate was awesome, $1.60 Cdn. for your U.S. dollar. Now it's more like $1.14. Fuel works out to about $2.78 at the J in London. A good place to eat in Mississauga is Billies on Dixie Rd. just north of the Husky. It's an expediter hang-out.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can also get the 7% GST refunded on big purchases when you have a 100 bucks total. This is a running total for a year from date of purchase. Just have them time stamp your receipt at the duty free when you leave the country. It'll add up after awhile.
I recently had a repair up there for about 400 bucks the GST was $21.00 so I got that refunded and kept a copy of the reciept and use it for tax purposes and get the credit again!