I can't take the looser losers anymore!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
DOH!!!!!!!

Ahem..... a certain Admin with egg on face has now corrected said spelling error!

Thank you Miss Cheri!

Dale

(Sitting in corner with pointed hat on!)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

There's no need for the egg or the pointed hat, lol. I sent a pm to another mod when it first appeared, but the explanation was something to do with how the editing software didn't allow certain changes.
We ALL make mistakes, and that was a pretty small one, if no one else noticed, or commented on it. :)

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Mods can't change them, I can lol. Can't believe I didnt notice! Typing fast in a post is one thing, "permanent" stuff I try to double check lol.

Always proofread, never know when you'll forget a or make a spelling mistack.
:)

Dale

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
What we're forgetting, though, is that without typos & errors, half the humor in life would disappear, [like the 'autocorrect' on iPhone, that comes up with 'human beef' 'sprinkled with freshly ground black people':eek: Does Apple believe we are cannibals now?!]
And my all time favorite, when BroomPilot couldn't decide how to spell donuts: with or without the 'g'? He compromised, choosing 'dognuts' - and I haven't eaten one since, lol. :D

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Another one that boils my potatoes: "Can I go with?"

It's "Can I go with you" or "Can I go along?"

clcooper

Expert Expediter
you can keep your how to spell and how to use words the right way . And who ,what says it is the right way any ways . i will keep the knowledge i have on how to fix things , how to build things , how to grow things and etc.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Mostly, it just makes them resentful, feeling that they've been made to 'look stupid'.
The misspelled [actually, the wrong word] 'effecting' on the intro to the Women's Forum has driven me nuts for years, lol. Apparently, it can't be edited.
My feeling is that a private msg is a better way to point out a misspelling, unless you want to make someone look stupid - and I confess, I have once or twice. ;)

I agree with you 100% Cheri. I'm the worst on here. I suck at spelling and my grammar sometimes is bad. But to post someones mess up out in a open forum does make people upset. I have been told about one perfect man and he died on a cross.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, we just can't have people's feeling hurt.

Have you ever had someone say something to you and you did not understand what they said? Either a word of the entire sentence? You respond with something like, "What?" or "I'm sorry?" or "Pardon?" Then they say it again and you don't understand it again. Then you respond in kind, and for the third time you still don't understand them, and you say "I don't understand what you are saying." Then, finally, they manage to communicate in a manner that is understood.

In voice conversations when someone says something that doesn't make sense or cannot be understood, people point it out, one way or another. Nobody's feelings get hurt, generally. The same thing happens online, but it gets pointed out, people's widdle feewings get hurt, for no reason whatsoever. Mistakes happen all the time by nearly everyone when it comes to typing on the Internet, and you don't need perfect spelling and grammar, but the reality is if you want to communicate your ideas to others, then you need to do it in a way that actually communicates your ideas to others.

I make mistakes all the time, and many of them are typing mistakes that actually spell other words, so the spell checker doesn't pick it up. People are certainly free to point them out when they happen, because, duh, there it is. But to get mad at someone pointing out over-the-top pitiful grammar and spelling is kinda like following too closely and then the car in front of you slamming in their brakes, and then you getting mad at the driver of the car for slamming on their brakes. I found out a long time ago that the best way to prevent people from pointing out atrocious spelling and grammar is to not post things containing atrocious spelling and grammar.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Cloud nine gets all the publicity, but cloud eight actually is cheaper, less crowded, and has a better view.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I believe that everyone has some kind of learning disability(ies) of some sort, and for many it is in the written language department. Learning disabilities aren't an indication of intelligence or lack thereof. (Has anyone ever known a person with multiple PhDs who failed miserably in the social arena, or a highly successful entrepreneur who can't remember names to save his life?)

Someone may have a valuable contribution to make to a forum such as this, and if he/she puts forth an effort to communicate the best he/she can, shouldn't that be good enough? Not only do newbies (or even oldbies) have to risk humiliation if they might ask a 'dumb' question, or if they share a memory that had bad results that could have potentially been prevented, but they also have to risk humiliation if they can't communicate perfectly?

Last time I checked, great English skills weren't a requirement of posting on EO. It's really nothing to be getting anyone's potatoes boiled and frothy over, unless someone's trying to control the world.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I believe that everyone has some kind of learning disability(ies) of some sort, and for many it is in the written language department. Learning disabilities aren't an indication of intelligence or lack thereof. (Has anyone ever known a person with multiple PhDs who failed miserably in the social arena, or a highly successful entrepreneur who can't remember names to save his life?)

Someone may have a valuable contribution to make to a forum such as this, and if he/she puts forth an effort to communicate the best he/she can, shouldn't that be good enough? Not only do newbies (or even oldbies) have to risk humiliation if they might ask a 'dumb' question, or if they share a memory that had bad results that could have potentially been prevented, but they also have to risk humiliation if they can't communicate perfectly?

Last time I checked, great English skills weren't a requirement of posting on EO. It's really nothing to be getting anyone's potatoes boiled and frothy over, unless someone's trying to control the world.

I agree with you 100%, but to flame someone in an open forum is not allowed. I'm not saying anyone did. Me I don't care if someone don't like my grammar, they only say something in a open forum to someone to make their self feel better. If people don't like it they don't have to read it.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I would rather present myself in the best light possible. Something worth doing is worth doing right. (or at least the best you can do)

I haven't seen anyone get flamed recently because of a grammar mistake or a spelling mistake, have you? Some of you act indignant because of a discussion about spelling and/or grammar, why? Is it too much to ask that we at least give a post the once over for readability? Some act like it is a badge of honor to not be able to effectively communicate in writing.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Right now there is an advertising banner on this site from a company that is recruiting semi's. What exactly belongs to the semi?

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Right now there is an advertising banner on this site from a company that is recruiting semi's. What exactly belongs to the semi?
Plural as opposed to possessive: That's my biggest pet grammatical peeve right now, and has been for the past several years. It's obvious that the King's English is simply not being taught in high school or college any more. We see this mistake EVERYWHERE, and it only reflects the absence of decent language education in the govt. controlled school system that wants to teach ebonics instead of English grammar.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It's a pretty big leap from discussing grammar and spelling mistakes to dying on a cross. I'll keep my truck clean and well maintained. I'll dress decently and present myself politely, so why not try to remember there is a difference between "looser" and "loser", or "broke" and "broken"? I even carry a Strunk and White grammar book along with my various owners manuals, and it has nothing to do with perfection. It's about making improvements in areas that can use it. It's a business thing.

As for correcting people in public, I think it's a made up issue. I can't remember ever reading a thread started by anyone new that turned into a critique of their grammar. Any discussions of grammar and spelling are either in total jest between people who know one another, or it comes up after tempers have flared, and the grammar slurs are the least of the mess that's being thrown about.

eb

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't agree with your last conclusion, Pilgrim - I believe the correct language skills are taught, but many choose not to learn, retain, or use those skills.
And personally, I believe I'd trade my language skills for mechanical knowhow, in a heartbeat, lol.:D

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
I don't agree with your last conclusion, Pilgrim - I believe the correct language skills are taught, but many choose not to learn, retain, or use those skills.
And personally, I believe I'd trade my language skills for mechanical knowhow, in a heartbeat, lol.:D
Cheri, my point isn't an either or proposition (this is rhetorically addressed to you, Cheri, since you brought it up). If you were offered both, wouldn't you take both?

eb