I am ANGRY....and do not know where to direct it.....

Archer

Active Expediter
How is it not the fault of the shop when they were the ones removing the glow plugs and broke it off.

YES its the mechanics fault when he broke it when removing the glow plug

Just the thing I was thinking, it's their fault and the repairs to the head is their cost.

Case point:
I had just replace my front axle brake rotors, in three thousand miles the right U joint went bad, into the dealer for repairs. The mechanic took a short cut to remove the rotor and use a BFH and damaged it to much to be used again. Wanted me to pay full retail to replace. I said no, I told him to bring the service manger in to look at it. I had my shop in Idaho on the phone to confirm the millage of the new rotor. Service manger said split the cost at whole sale for the part. Again I said no, bring in the owner. The owner comes to me and states he will take care of it at no cost to me. SO STAND YOUR GROUND when dealing with shops you don't have a relationship with.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
After reading posts over the years about Sprinter problems and the costs associated with them, I'm really surprised expediters buy them. The cost of operation and purchase prices vs. 90-1.00 per mile freight doesn't ad up. Yes some get service but those are operaters who know how to take care of them, and I'm sure they had a learning curve as well. Looks like in the near future the Ford Transit and the Dodge will put a heavy burden on the MB people. The newbies entering this field buying used Sprinters are really rolling a set of dice that are balanced against them. Wonder if any Sprinter dealers ever monitor this site.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
SO STAND YOUR GROUND when dealing with shops you don't have a relationship with.

And even the ones that you do have a relationship with. I have saved thousands of dollars over the last 10 years by being aware of what is going on while the truck has been in the shop, and disputing added labor that should not have been there.

Archer

Active Expediter
And even the ones that you do have a relationship with. I have saved thousands of dollars over the last 10 years by being aware of what is going on while the truck has been in the shop, and disputing added labor that should not have been there.

Good point!

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Looks like in the near future the Ford Transit and the Dodge will put a heavy burden on the MB people.

In a sense...........it all depends on what's going under the Hoods of the Ford Transits. Ford doesn't exactly have the best reputation for having reliable/dependable "Diesel" engines under the hoods of their vehicles over the years. If Ford would offer a 5.4 Triton V8 under the hood of a Transit...........then Yes, Sprinter needs to be worried that there's going to be a New Kid on the Block. If all Ford is going to offer is some sort of "EcoBoost" New Diesel...........or whatever it is they're going to call it........then No, no real worries for Sprinter because the EcoBoost owners are going to griping just as much as Sprinter owners are when it comes to repair costs. Possibly Griping more because as with most Ford Diesel Owners over the last decade or so, they could lose their Trucks for Days....Weeks....Months at a time trying to get Repairs done.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had a 2005 Sprinter. Not bad for room, and the fuel economy was the cat's pajamas in this business. Parts and repairs--- not so much. I've had one Sprinter, won't have another. You all but have to worship that machine and then it'll still bite you. My Chevy can't haul as many skids, but when I do have to have it in the shop it (a) doesn't cost as much as a Sprinter and (b) the parts are available without having to wait three weeks for it to be shipped from the other side of the world-- on Lame Sloth Express if the speed of arrival is any indication. The parts for a Chevy are usually on the shelf, or at most only a couple of days away.

About that cost: You're talking $6,000 to work the cylinder head of a Sprinter engine. For that, I can replace the entire engine and transmission on my Chevy and still have money left over.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I think new Sprinters will pretty much go extinct within a year because of the new Ford, Fiat, & Nissan. MB simply cannot compete with the cost-like-sin Sprinter.

whistler

Active Expediter
After reading posts over the years about Sprinter problems and the costs associated with them, I'm really surprised expediters buy them. The cost of operation and purchase prices vs. 90-1.00 per mile freight doesn't ad up.

Exactly my feeling on the Sprinter. When you add up all the services, general maintenance, and inevitable breakdowns this vehicle will experience, not to mention the rates paid per mile vs. a cargo van, I am sticking with the gasoline van. I can buy an excellent used cargo van for around 8K, run it for 18 months to 2 years (with or without signs) with little concern for injection problems, etc., and then easily turn it for 4 to 5K. No need for Wayne, Andy, Charlie, or Skippy, etc.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The only freightliner dealer I have ever been happy with is Hoekstra in troy or grand rapids. But they are not normal freightliner dealers as they don't deal in big trucks. I think they sell more sprinters in mi than anyone else.

Stoops I have no use for at all.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In 1971 one of the first memories I have after high school graduation was going with Dad to buy two new Freightliners.

We put them in service hauling mail Chgo- Omaha. 7 days per week. 352 days per year.
Awesome trucks. I don't even remember them ever being in a Frtlnr Shop. We had our own shop and had one about 12 hrs everyday. At that time you couldn't buy a better truck.
In 2001 I bought a canadian built Western Star. I soon got introduced to the new Frtlnr and to put it mildly I am not a fan.
I do not know one single Frtlnr shop I would want to deal with today.
Spending more and getting a $printer fixed properly the first time at a MB Dealer would be something I would try.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I didn't say they could fix a truck.
I said they could switch out pieces of a qualcomm.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
boy you guys are running on the cheap..
A sprinter that is not a lemon will NOT usually exceed 20% of your gross per year for any and all maintenance...20% is well within normal parameters....

I put this to you.......would you expect t $15.00 oil change from a Jaguar dealer? probably not...then why expect cheap from a Mercedes dealer?....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Who expedites with a Jag? :confused:

When I buy a work truck I expect to get a work engine. The design should allow for simple maintenance. I don't want a "picky" truck. I expect it to start when I want it to. When I need an oil change I don't need to go to a doctor, just a shop.

Solid, reliable and EASY is what is important with a work truck. Built for the long haul. I had 294,000 on my '90 Chevy pick up when I sold it. ALL I ever replaced on that truck was the CVJ's and the rear end. I expect that, or better, out of a truck designed for heavy use.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

When I buy a work truck I expect to get a work engine. The design should allow for simple maintenance. I don't want a "picky" truck. I expect it to start when I want it to. When I need an oil change I don't need to go to a doctor, just a shop.

Solid, reliable and EASY is what is important with a work truck. Built for the long haul. I had 294,000 on my '90 Chevy pick up when I sold it. ALL I ever replaced on that truck was the CVJ's and the rear end. I expect that, or better, out of a truck designed for heavy use.

That is the thing Joe.....we are talking Mercedes here...a premium vehicle that requires at times premium service.....and the guys that bought them SHOULD have known this....these guys are suffering "buyers remorse"...for they knew nothing of what they did....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That is the thing Joe.....we are talking Mercedes here...a premium vehicle that requires at times premium service.....and the guys that bought them SHOULD have known this....these guys are suffering "buyers remorse"...for they knew nothing of what they did....

Well, they CLAIM to be a premium vehicle. I would not consider a vehicle that needs it's butt kissed on a regular basis to keep it running, premium. There is a HUGE difference from needing proper service and coddling. If one wants to expedite, buy a truck. Trucks should be tough, reliable and simple, built to run for many years and many miles with a minimum of problems and simplicity of maintenance. THAT is a premium vehicle.

IF I were going into a "little expediter" I doubt I would be looking at a sprinter. There are, at least in my opinion, better options out there.

guido4475

Not a Member

Can I hear a loud "AMEN???".......