HR 1773 Passed 411 YEA and 3 Nay

JohnO

Veteran Expediter
Thanks, to all who called their US Representatives in support of HR 177 was result of combining of HR 1173 and HR 1756. Our next battle will be getting it passed in the US Senate.

Below is article OOIDA posted in Land Line Magazine.

May 14, 2007 Print | E-mailSPECIAL REPORT: House to vote on bill limiting cross-border progra posted in Monday, May 14, 2007 – A bill designed to shine a bright light on the impending cross-border program is set for a vote in the U.S. House of Representatives Tuesday.

The “Safe American Roads Act of 2007,†originally introduced by Rep. Nancy Boyda, D-KS, seeks to implement several “sensible steps†to rein in the U.S. Department of Transportation.

“If the DOT pilot program proceeds as planned, drivers in Kansas and across the United States will soon share their roads with unsafe Mexican trucks,†Boyda said in a prepared statement at a press conference she held Monday in Topeka, KS.

“The flood of foreign traffic will inevitably result in collisions, injuries and even fatalities.â€

Boyda said she introduced the bill to implement “several sensible steps to rein in the Department of Transportation.â€

For example, the bill – HR 1773 – calls for an independent review panel to oversee the program. If at any time during the program the panel determined the program was having an adverse effect on motor carrier safety, the panel could recommend modifications or termination of the program. The DOT would have only five days to take action on the recommendations or end the program.

There would also be a limit on how many trucks will be allowed in from Mexico if HR1773 passes. The cross-border program would still be open to 100 Mexican motor carriers. Those motor carriers just wouldn’t be able to operate more than 1,000 trucks in the U.S.

The bill also looks to take the guesswork out of whether the Department of Transportation has complied with all of Section 350 of the 2002 transportation appropriations legislation.

Section 350 outlined 22 conditions that the DOT had to meet before allowing Mexico-domiciled motor carriers to operate in the U.S. It required independent verification by the Office of Inspector General of only eight of those conditions. The remaining 14 required certification from the DOT that the conditions had been met.

If HR1773 passes, the OIG would have to independently verify the remaining 14 conditions.

The bill passed the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee unanimously with “prudent amendments†submitted by Chairman James L. Oberstar, D-MN, and Rep. Peter DeFazio, D, OR. Boyda thanked both for their leadership and guidance on crafting this legislation.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association supports HR1773. The Association recently sent out a national Call to Action encouraging its more than 153,000 members and other interested in promoting safety to call their representatives. To read the Call to Action, click here.

“This is no less than a crap shoot. There is no way this can be done and assure the safety and security of Americans within our own borders,†Todd Spencer, OOIDA executive vice president, told reporters Monday at Boyda’s press conference.

“Mexico is a third-world country. That’s just plain and true. It’s not our fault, but it will be that way for a long time. Until they can assure U.S. citizens that their trucks and safety systems are as comparable in terms of safety and security as ours, the border shouldn’t be opened.â€

“We’re thrilled Congresswoman Boyda has stood up on this issue … we’re hoping lawmakers will see it for what it is and inject some sanity into the pilot program.â€

The bill, HR1773, is scheduled to be considered by the House of Representatives on Tuesday.

– By Jami Jones, senior editor

Twin Pop USA

Expert Expediter
God bless OOIDA on this one, for helping Congress think twice about helping big business at the expense of road safety for once

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This is another good example of why everyone should be an OOIDA member. They are fighting the right battles for us. They don't always succeed but they do try and they are on the right side. If everyone was a member and the numbers were that much higher the success rate would also be higher. Too many people are too busy whining over what OOIDA wasn't able to get done or didn't do specifically for them to see the bigger picture of what they are doing for all of us. You're either part of the solution or part of the problem.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
John, I for one thank you.

Great Job we all owe you one. Leo your so correct but lazyness and it aint my problem till one looks in ones billfold and discovers it is my problem than its to late. Or is it?

OOIDA member should be under my heading as well. But why should I care? Because I DO maybee?

For everyone who has at least made one phone call or one E mail I personally want to say thank you. To all of you who gave me crap or flack well I have back yard and a dog your invited over to my next pic nic which does not include food. Bring your own scooper.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I'm glad I pestered my representative in Washington. That vote was a squeaker. Whew!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Great News!!

Now let's do the same thing for the immigration reform bill they are talking about.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you put my member number, or anyone else's, in the referral box you will get a $20 discount on your first year. Thanks for joining.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Again OOIDA gets credit for action when other groups and thousands of non-OOIDA members also contacted their Congressmen and the Democratic majority had already stated opposition . Regardless , they are just buying time . NAFTA committed the U.S. to allow Mexican trucks to cross the border . The ATA will be happy with this http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4812997.html . One of the many skills that will give guest workers priority is truck driving . Do you think Mexicans won't immigrate and start expediting companies here ?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't agree that the OOIDA was the only factor in this like you said but it was us - the voter, not them that got this passed.

Also "NAFTA committed the U.S. to allow Mexican trucks to cross the border"

NAFTA also has some stuff that was put in to it to force the changes needed in Mexico and for all intent and purpose, they have not lived up to any of the requirments that they agreed to and this pretty much can nullify NAFTA if anyone wants to push the issue.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OOIDA was not the only factor. I never intended to imply they were. They did do their part in lobbying as well as keeping the issue in front of the members to inform them and remind them when the votes were and when to call.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

cargojock

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sure also that there were plenty of others besides OOIDA working to get this bill passed. To me, the benefit of OOIDA when it comes to legislation like this and other urgent issues is that if I don't have time to get on here and read the EO forums or other online forums or news, OOIDA makes sure I know about these things anyway by sending an alert by email. IMO, that's a big help in itself.

I agree with Greg that the voters probably made the difference here - there aren't many sitting up on Capital Hill who don't want to stay there, and we're the ones that can make that happen for them...or not. They DO listen to what their constituents say, particularly when there's a large outcry. No, they don't read every email themselves, but you can bet their staff keeps a running tally of every comment for or against every upcoming bill.

Thanks to OOIDA, JohnO, EO and all the other organizations that got word of this out to us voters so WE could make a difference.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
" ....the benefit of OOIDA when it comes to legislation like this and other urgent issues is that if I don't have time to get on here and read the EO forums or other online forums or news, OOIDA makes sure I know about these things anyway by sending an alert by email. IMO, that's a big help in itself."

This is my point exactly, I look at them as an organizer of change not a source of change.