How Would You Spend It?

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The government has given you 22 million dollars to improve the quality of life for U.S. truckdrivers. What would you do with it? How would it best be spent?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I split it up between 1000 truck drivers that actually paid taxes.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The government has given you 22 million dollars to improve the quality of life for U.S. truckdrivers. What would you do with it? How would it best be spent?

Purchase some street sweepers so that they can clean the parking lots at the rest areas so they don't smell like......you know....

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
American Courier Express (ACE) did that in Dayton several years ago, although with far fewer than 100 Sprinters. I think it took them 2 years to go broke.

Yep, sprinters are not good as company vehicles, the people who drive them have to pay attention and make sure little problems don't become major problems from neglect.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'd build a $22 million dollar wall without any gates and with plenty of razor wire around The Beltway.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I'd build a $22 million dollar wall without any gates and with plenty of razor wire around The Beltway.

Probably be a good idea to send the collection plate around as soon as possible. ;)

NightDriver

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm astonished at how quickly and often some of you are able to post. Are you sure you guys drive for a living? :cool:

So far, the only reasonable responses are to remove the pee smell from rest areas and physically wall off DC. Both have my vote.

But I'm serious. And furious. Twenty-two million taxpayer dollars were granted and spent to install an anti-idle infrastructure that was politically opportune but abysmally utopian. The number of workers used to install those facilites were very local and very short term. There is no maintenance. There is no on site monitoring. Customer Service is staffed by people who answer the phones for numerous companies and are therefore largely undertrained. Few trucks seek the service when choosing their layover, and even fewer are capable of utilizing it. Any truck can park in one of the designated spaces offering this service yet not utilize it, and suffer no consequences whatsoever for doing so. The company offers no method to reserve those particular spaces for consumers nor do they expect or require the hosting site to do so.

And because few trucks choose to patronize the service, the company blames the abysmal response on the truckers' rejection of the service itself - as if they're too stupid or skeptical or selfish to recognize the benefits of the service.

Twenty two million dollars granted and all the company accomplished was to install a few well-spread consumption sites, and leave the interested consumers to fend for themselves.

Instead of this bull krap, what would have been a better usage of that 22 million?

Highway surface improvement?
Expanded rest areas?
Lowered road taxes?
Subsidized APUs?

There has to be a better investment of 22 million taxpayer bucks than Shorepower.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I'm astonished at how quickly and often some of you are able to post. Are you sure you guys drive for a living? :cool:

So far, the only reasonable responses are to remove the pee smell from rest areas and physically wall off DC. Both have my vote.

But I'm serious. And furious. Twenty-two million taxpayer dollars were granted and spent to install an anti-idle infrastructure that was politically opportune but abysmally utopian. The number of workers used to install those facilites were very local and very short term. There is no maintenance. There is no on site monitoring. Customer Service is staffed by people who answer the phones for numerous companies and are therefore largely undertrained. Few trucks seek the service when choosing their layover, and even fewer are capable of utilizing it. Any truck can park in one of the designated spaces offering this service yet not utilize it, and suffer no consequences whatsoever for doing so. The company offers no method to reserve those particular spaces for consumers nor do they expect or require the hosting site to do so.

And because few trucks choose to patronize the service, the company blames the abysmal response on the truckers' rejection of the service itself - as if they're too stupid or skeptical or selfish to recognize the benefits of the service.

Twenty two million dollars granted and all the company accomplished was to install a few well-spread consumption sites, and leave the interested consumers to fend for themselves.

Instead of this bull krap, what would have been a better usage of that 22 million?

Highway surface improvement?
Expanded rest areas?
Lowered road taxes?
Subsidized APUs?

There has to be a better investment of 22 million taxpayer bucks than Shorepower.

If,,I say if, one could follow the money trail on that project and see who's friends or who's relative was involved in building it, you would see quickly another side to that project. It could be that it was done to make someone wealthy and had nothing to do with truckers overall, but it looks good like all those Presidential Libraries we build...was a waste of money there. I could be wrong on my opinion .