how to get more mls when log alouds?own authority

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
RE: how to get more mls when log alouds?own autho

when i started with fed ex cc roberts then,i had my own authority also,but i was making more at roberts than my own authority would get me so i let it go

wolf

Seasoned Expediter

Raceman,
thanks for info on toppic.gess,i need to make the desision,to stay with panther or go on my own.need to think about it.Can you tell ,how much liability ins per year?Thanks
Others,
i do not feel right,than some one call me bubba or phony...
thats just stupid...acting like cb rambows...
you do not know tractor-treiler jobs...
in chicago i do know min 5 companys,whoos runing solos from chicago to LA,or WA and back ones per week,right now.The guys are staying at homes for 1-2 days the same week.They are runing 4200-5000 ml per week.I did this myself before panther.But thats low payd brokers loads-no good for owner.I never been cought by dot,always was having 2 setts off logs and bill of ladings,in 4 years.No accidents.Thanks for input anyway.
wolf

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

> you do not know tractor-treiler jobs...
> in chicago i do know min 5 companys,whoos runing solos from
>chicago to LA,or WA and back ones per week,right now.The
>guys are staying at homes for 1-2 days the same week.They
>are runing 4200-5000 ml per week.I did this myself before
>panther.But thats low payd brokers loads-no good for owner.I
>never been cought by dot,always was having 2 setts off logs
>and bill of ladings,in 4 years.No accidents.Thanks for input
>anyway.
>wolf

I murdered 5 people but I was never caught so it's ok. That's the stupidest logic I've ever heard and exactly the kind of big rig cowboy that causes PATT and CRASH to get more and more restrictions put on all of us. I'm sorry if that bluntness offends anyone but that's just plain wrong.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter

dont have a dot search your truck,they find 2 sets of logs or bills,you dont know what trouble is.
there are several companies out of chicago running just like you said,round trips to west coast,but let me tell you,here's what could happen,not now but some day,your driving thru chicago,and a drunk runs into you and kills himself,they do a search of your truck,and find just one log book,they then check fuel receipts,toll tickets and find your log book is over hours,guess what my friend,involuntary manslaughter,go to jail and dont collect 200 bucks,so if you feel lucky,use your 2 log books,and good luck,hear bubba is looking for a roommate

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
RE: how to get more mls when log alouds? own auth

>Is it true that if you are involved in an accident that is
>not your fault at all and you were over the 11 hour limit
>...the fault may be yours?
An attorney would have a field day with you . Contributory negligence . After criminal charges your negligence in a civil suit would make a jury ignore any violations of the other driver .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

Wolf , I really think you should get your own authority . New carriers are audited after a few months and you'll get a real quick lesson what " you can fool some of the people some of the time" means . Just one accident involving the morons running double logs will result in an attorney deposing records of the company and ALL violating drivers and dispatch will face jail time .

raceman

Veteran Expediter

If you are running tow log books you are headed for trouble. You do not do that period. Run smart and run legal.

NC, What I do is tape my signs on when I use them. They are magnetic but would never stay on anyway. I have never had a problem. I did speak with local DOT here in the Butler and Warren areas and it was explained to me that as long as I had the authority, city and State clearly visible I was fine. I had actually asked if I could display both, mine on the side of front end of box and then my lease company on doors and that is what they said no too. The DOT was who suggested my current approach.

Wolf,even with your own authority you can not run like you seem to want to. I personally do not think on your own in a straight truck you would ever get those kind of miles with good pay. I combine my work as I am not real happy on my own and I am not reall happy only with a company. Also keep in mind what I am doing is very different than expediting. Good luck but be legal. There is no loads worth jail time, fines and maybe the death of someone due to your hunger for miles.

Raceman
Dedicated O/O
OOIDA 741748

sunshine to all

Seasoned Expediter

sunshine to all on this Irish Day of St Paddy, Raceman where do you get insurance for load when you are using your own authority? This company I'm contracted to makes us pay for load insurance but will allow us to go out and find our own if we want. I know it sucks but with the market out there there isn't much out there.
Thanks in advance and if anyone out there knows where you can get decent load insurance I'd appreciate it.:) :*

Florida

Expert Expediter

>thoughht you couldnt use the magnetic signs anymore

I've seen haind painted "signs" which looked like the guys had a few beers before trying it, and I have seen PAPER signs on doors stuck on with duct tape. Usually these are on older (about 20 years older) model trucks, running around here in FLorida. Not sure how well these guys do at a scalehouse full of DOT cops with a lot of time on their hands...

My very first truck I bought in 1975 had all of its ICC (yes I.C.C.)regsitrations decaled on to its twin 150 gallon saddle tanks. When I took it up to Indianapolis Mayflower spray painted it ugly yellow and and logoed it on the doors with their DOT and ICC regsitration. Nothing on the tanks. Then I started hauling bugs.

(and yes, during Mayflower orientation, I still remember them going over the topic in the classroom on how to handle the situation of loading or I should say NOT to load bed bug infested cargo.) We usually ran 1-3 or so loads on a van at the same time. Bugs on 1 load would ruin the entire trailer.

Good old days, back before IFTA and the Fed Highway Motor Carrier folks. Trucks were peppered with fuel tax decals for states, as well as having that old "BINGO CARD" registration plate.

Want to see spray painted, hand painted, paper door signs? Come on down to Florida.

OOIDA MEMBER#: 708700

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

Food for thought. http://www.oig.dot.gov/Room?subject=10 . You can keep as many logbooks as you want . The company can only keep one set of logs on file . In an audit these will be matched against toll receipts , fuel receipts , scale tickets , and other info .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

>Food for thought. http://www.oig.dot.gov/Room?subject=10 .
>You can keep as many logbooks as you want . The company can
>only keep one set of logs on file . In an audit these will
>be matched against toll receipts , fuel receipts , scale
>tickets , and other info .

I'm not sure where you got that information. Everything I've ever been taught as well as what I found skimming that website says just the opposite. False logs get fines and jail time. You can't have more than one logbook unless all but one are false.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

You misunderstood . When I said " can " . I meant it's possible to do it and some do . I posted the link to show what happens if you get caught .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yes, I definitely misunderstood. I thought that was supposed to lead to something saying otherwise. This is one of the subjects that really turns up the steam. With these guys running two logs and illegal it isn't a question of if, it's only a question of when the accident will happen and how much will the rest of us suffer because they are selfish, thoughtless, greedy criminals.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

I posted the link to show the consequences and said the logs on record would be audited was meant to show you'd better be where you say you are . I've also know DOT at scales to scan logs and put them on file . Anybody checking your logs can further down the road can compare them to previous logs . I watched an IL state trooper do that with my logs .

gojack

Expert Expediter

I just completed a DOT Audit
Your own authority gets you audited;

They cross-check everything against everything else.
They told me that they can fine the carrier (me, or you if you have your Authority) up to $10,000 for each HOS (hours of service) violation.

Nice Letter From DOT

Dear ABC:
A Safety Audit has been scheduled for you in accordance with
Part 385 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations (49 CFR 385.337):
Wednesday, 3/14/2007, at 11:00AM

...To move forward with this process, please prepare all applicable files addressed in the RECORDS REQUEST form enclosed for review. Failure to present all applicable requested files at the time of the Safety Audit may result in the revocation of your registration and/or time of any penalties under 49 U.S.C. 521(b)(2)(A).
Upon completion of the audit, the findings will be reviewed and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) will determine if you have adequate safety management controls to allow you to continue to operate as an interstate motor carrier. An official determination will be made within 45 days at which time you will be notified directly by the FMCSA...

...If you do not appear at the scheduled time, we will be forced to forward information to the FMCSA indicating that we have been unable to conduct a safety audit with your company. As a result, the FMCSA could revoke your New Entrant Registration and require you to immediately cease your interstate motor carrier operations. Your cooperation regarding this matter is appreciated.
Sincerely...

Carrier Records
Needed for Safety Audit

As applicable, have the following available at time of audit

Insurance and Economic Documentation
if applicable: Have available a current copy of Form
MCS-90 or MCS-902 (insurance endorsement).

Also have available a copy of Form BOC-3
(designation of process agents). Reference 49 CFR Part 387

Controlled Substances and Alcohol Testing Administrative Records (if applicable):

Have available for review all administrative records related to controlled substances and alcohol testing. If you are enrolled with a consortium, obtain from the consortium and have available for review the consortium’s current list of drivers for your company. Have available for review a copy of your company’s Controlled Substances and Alcohol Testing Policy. Have available the semi-annual summaries (from the laboratory) of Controlled Substances and Alcohol Tests for 2006. Have available for review a copy of the annual calendar year summary for 2006. Reference 49 CR? Part 40 and Part 382

Accident Records: Have available for review all records related to accidents for the past 365 days, including an accident register.

Also, have available a copy of your damage / loss run from your insurance company and / or any State accident reports maintained.

Include all accidents resulting in fatality, injury, and / or tow - - regardless of whether or not your driver ot leased driver was found to have been “at faultâ€. Reference 49 CFR Part 390.15

Driver Qualification: Have available for review, driver qualification files for all drivers used within the past 12 months.

If your company operates with drivers assigned to various locations or functions, be prepared to identify each driver’s status (i.e., terminal location, commercial zone vs. long haul, van vs. flat bed operations, leased vs. company, etc.) Reference 49 CFR Part 391.51

Hours of Service: Provide a driver specific listing showing assigned units and account numbers for phone and / or fuel charges for all drivers, including leased operators, used within the past six months.

Have available all records of duty status for previous six months for all drivers, including leased operators. Also have available all supporting documents (Trip envelopes, driver expense receipts, telephone records, cell phone records, fuel reports, dispatch logs, payroll records, bills of lading, scale tickets, Bestpass, Prepass and Norpass records, hotel and motel receipts, maintaince receipts, etc.) for previous six months for all drivers. Reference 49 CFR Part 395

Equipment Maintenance: For previous 12 months, provide a list showing all equipment owned / leased /trip leased and operated in intra and interstate commerce, Designate type of equipment-trucks, tractors, trailers, HM cargo tank trucks, HM cargo tank trailers, buses. If applicable, indicate terminal locations and / or date removed from service.

Have available all maintenance files and records for each unit, including leased units. Files and records include evidence of annual inspections, repair receipts, maintenance schedules, and qualification of persons performing annual inspections and / or brake repair and adjustments. Also have available copies of drivers’ daily vehicle inspection reports for the last three months. Reference 49 CFR Pan 396

Hazardous Materials Records (if applicable: Have available a current copy of the DOT / RSPA HM registration, HM training materials and records of such training. Also have available a copy of the most recent shipping document for each class of materials transported. Reference 49 CFR Part 107 & Sub part H Part 172. 704

Articles of Incorporation (if applicable: Have copies of papers showing incorporation as registered with the Secretary of State.
GVWR of vehicles: Have a list showing the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of every truck, tractor and / or trailer under carrier’s control. Reference 49 CFR Part 390.5

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter

Well lemme throw my 2 pennies in....If in fact you are planning on running this way with Panther being your carrier, you will not make it past the first 14 hours without safty calling you or pinging you qc..if continued you will be released and contract termed...Panther will not allow it no way ,shape or form of it. So if this is your plan, might as well start looking for another place to call home, the cats won't put up it.

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter

Damm, It Takes All Kinds

AbeJr
TranStewart #6680
Stand Tall & Be Proud