How to find hot freight area?

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
As you all know ther is alot to learn in this business. So my question is>>> Is there any way to find out if an area is dead or does it have good freight without having to guess or lose 1 or 2 days waiting. I know experince is the best teacher, but having some insight could help save some money, time and headaches... THANKS

You Want Know
If You Don't Ask!!!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Hey Cowboy,
Welcome to the forum, your question is a good one but need more info.
Who do you drive for? Freight zones vary by carrier and what works for the cat drivers might be a dead zone for the Fed...
Laredo is a good example. What type of unit are you running? This can also affect your freight options, hit me back and I will gladly share what I have picked up.
Mike and Cyn

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An area that is usually good for your carrier can also dry up from time to time. There certainly are basic guidelines to follow but no guarantees. You will sometimes get great loads out of an area you would have thought you had no chance. Luck is a big factor.

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
Thanks, I have a DR unit, T-Val, Liftgate, The works. Am leased on W/ Fedex and Trying to be as cost conscience as possible. Recently sat in charlotte NC 3 days waiting on a load. This may have been a mistake on my part, But thought I was in a good area. But anyway, Thank you for your input.

Just Keeping It In Today!!!

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
I hear ya, sat in Durham the other day used to be a good T-val area but I haven't done well there all year.
Northeast is usually the best bet for T-val Mass, Philly to name a few.
If I find myself in Charlotte area I try to get down around Greensboro or Spartnburg.
Maybe it's just me but here of late I haven't seen as much freight in Atlanta or Memphis.
Midwest and Chicago is a good bet, West coast Oakland and LA are good.
If unsure about a paticular area the VRU is really helpful.
Mike and Cyn

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
as long as your not in an E unit,all the hot areas will be loaded with trucks,B C D,so you need to find area with less activity,then your single position will keep you busier than waiting for other trucks ahead of you to get dispatched,or just wait your turn in line

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I know this isn't the norm for the bigger carriers, but rather something for those on with the smaller carriers to think about. Dropped in Quincy, IL last week. Closest area was StLouis (120 mi). For once, I decided to let the freight find me. Next day, got a load from Quincy to Queens, NY. Being the only truck on the Alliance within 50 miles had its advantages I guess. ;)

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

ATeam

Retired Expediter
First of all, cowboyz, I apologize to you for the errant OPW comments I made earlier. I misjudged you. I'm sorry and embarrassed for having done so.

About freight areas, note that a great freight area on Friday may be slow on Monday. The area that is hot on Tuesday morning may be dead until Saturday. Sometimes it's not the area but the time of day, week, month, or season.

I'm going back now and re-reading your posts with an open mind. At first blush, it seems you are trying to do this all by yourself. There are lots of White Glove drivers and owner/operators out there that would be pleased to visit with you by phone as you find your way into the WG world. You might consider asking your contract coordinator to put you in touch with one. Otherwise, I'd be pleased to spend a few minutes a day on the phone with you for a week or two to share what Diane and I have learned about getting freight. Contact me privately if we can be of help.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
If there is one thing this business has given me, more patience. One thing I cannot stand practicing,, patience.

1-2 days is gona have to be acceptable or its gona cost you and gona cost you big. Three, four days now thats getting unacceptable. But it could be a thing of the future.

There are no givens, just cause you want to work its more luck than a method or knowlege. Its your card game, want a hit?

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
Hey ,no problem ATEAM Im a easy going person. And thanks for the info on WG teams. I know a few and a couple of owners. Just trying not to worry them to death. Reaching out to all I can. And Im not really trying to do this on my own, I promise I do take suggestions from others , But also fear the unknown. But I bought the DR unit, FEDEX changed the FSC which also changed the numbers I was baseing everything on. So theres a little fear there. But there is also a challange there.... How to make up the difference. This is a real numbers business. And I learn a little more each day. Anyway Thanks again!

"BETTER TO FORGIVE THAN TO BE FORGIVEN"

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
I can't help but wonder where the freight is going. Are other carriers moving it? With all the buyouts thats going on, Companies are aquiring contractors also. So does this make the freight hard to come by? Sounds like there is a small window of time to get good freight, I guess with time one would learn when this window is about to close so they could avoid a certian area.

Just Playing My Part