How much should you make per loaded mile

xracer

Seasoned Expediter
Just wanted to know how much you should get per loaded mile to be profitable. That is with a D-unit truck. I know everyone has a different situation. Truck paymets,single driver or team and so fourth. Just trying to get a good average. I know where I am and how much I am making and its nothing to brag about. But I had a driver the other day told me he did not move for less than 1.30 per mile. A hour later I got a load offer at 1.07 which I refused. Fifteen mins. later I seen that dude pull out. I guess he was just running a game to get out a head of me. I don't really care I did get a good paying load later. But I was just wondering now who to believe. Thanks for you advice

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I forget the designations, if D unit is a straight truck or not.
Anyways, you need to figure out your fixed costs per month and then also figure out your rolling costs ie diesel etc.
once you figure out what your cost per mile is then you can decide what you will run for. This figure is different for every single truck. Diesel would be the closest to a constant but even mileage differences between trucks will skew that number.
I know some here use spreadsheets.
Some people could not be profitable at $1.07 some could.
Another thing to consider is if your in a bad freight area taking a run where you break even might get you into a better area.
SO the answer is every person trucks is different:)

transporter

Expert Expediter
dakota that is reasonable advice. d unit =large straight.
however what he asked was what is current average pay for d unit. not what he should run for.
i cant answer i dont run large straight

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If just looking for a industry average for a leased truck to a carrier, I would probably say 1.20 plus FSC.
By average, some run below that and some run above it. If you are at 1.07 per mile, I personally would consider that quite low.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get the free spreadsheet from OOIDA and plug in your personal numbers to see what it costs to run the truck. Without that number there can never be a logical answer. If you have to get home for a doctor's appointment or something then $1.07 may be a good rate. If you are just talking about everyday running then $1.07 is definitely low.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
If your leased on with someone,,run for your contracted rate,its that simply with me. If the freight takes you into a dead hole,,try to negotiate a way out that leaves some fuel in your tanks before ya accept the load offer.
I have no problem with them moving on to another truck with reduced rates, if that truck next to me wants to run it great, Let-em and there is a good chance they wont be doing it long. (Maybe they will survive??) Ill either wait it out or simply head home. Sure I lose out by heading home but so does the company by losing use of my truck..(and yes I know they dont care:rolleyes:)

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I don't wory about my money per loaded mile,I look at when all in,what is my money per mile going to be.I look at what the total miles are going to be,thats:dead head to pick up,the loaded miles,and finally where I plan on laying over.You may take a load that looks like it's great, but when empty your going to have a bunch of empty miles.If the pay is right,then that high paying load is good,but if you take a load that goes to a non freight area,and your going to have to dead head a long way to get in a freight lane,that good load will make you feel you made a mistake,as your profit goes away as you sit for a couple days trying to get reloaded.
You have to know what the cost is to operate your truck,whether its a tractor,large straight truck or even a cargo van.Unless you know these costs,you cant make a good decission on what loads to take or turn down.
If you already have a year in,cost per mile is easy.you just take your total cost for operating and divide it by your total miles.I'ts not rocket science.
By knowing your costs,you will find you don't have to have that home run load everytime your dispatched.When you know your costs,your able to take a non profit load to keep you busy,if your running in the black,not in the red.If you've been making bad decissions and your profit is in the red,you need to be careful with your load decisions.