How much money do you make?

are12

Expert Expediter
What I find rude is when a driver from the same company asks how much we are making per load. To me, that is personal information and should not be discussed among O/O of the same company. That is a question for the company itself to answer.(even though we know they won't)

When someone is interested in the expediting business or running a straight truck, they usually ask, if we would mind telling them, what we make a year. Jim and I usually do not have a problem with that but we also tell them, what works for us, may not work for them.

kangar0085

Seasoned Expediter
I'm not offended by that question in any way shape or form. I love it when people come up and talk to me, this job is way to lonely for me to get offended by people questioning me. That's how I found out about this business, by friendly strangers willing to share some helpful info with me.

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
I agree about the people from the same company though...usually they're just looking for a reason to start bashing. People love to be negative don't they?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I always ask others how much money they make. Why just this morning I asked my dentist what she makes. I have asked the cashier at Walmart, the nice DOT man inspecting my van, the lot lizard at the truck stop, the loan officer at my credit union and a dispatcher at Panther how much money they make. If I suspect they are not being truthful with me I ask for documentation.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Well the DOT officer's salary is public information. My sister is going to be starting as an elementry school teacher next semester. She said she doesn't mind when people ask how much she will be making because it is public knowledge.

Another thing have you ever thought that may be asking because a recruiter gave them a figure, and they want to find out how accurate it is? I agree it shouldn't be the intial question. Maybe ask what kind of freight and where you mainly run those types of things first.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My point was that even if I told the absolute truth, (and some drivers don't), the info would be meaningless, due to the huge number of variables involved. I feel comfortable referring them to EO, where they can learn everything they might want to know, from the whole spectrum of expediters, all at once.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
My answer always wuz "if you take care of the customer and their freight really, really well, the money will come and lots of it". Problem is, i never minded the question, but, the vast majority, didn't like the answer. Guess it goes boff ways. Guess??

M

mcclain

To be frank, I ain't much of a desk jockey but keeping our trucks moving is making me more money than I could ever make driving on the road.

We have six trucks right now, 4-5 coming over the next two weeks, and I can't complain about the income.

Of course now being the desk jockey I have become, I don't have all that on the road expense either.

The again, like I mentioned to another recruiter from another company I use to drive with - I still miss that on the road feeling, and all those pain in the butt problems you all have to deal with..........

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
To be frank, McClain, I doubt anyone on here is buying your sales pitch. You come back, after a self-imposed exile, and talk chips about making more than someone doing the actual dirty work. I think I speak for most on here that your rants and brags are beyond getting old.

I'll leave it at that, before I break a rule or two.

M

mcclain

Hawk -

Yes it was a very short lived exile eeeeeeh.

But, I have returned - yet again.

Why?

Not sure, don't have alot of time to kill so can't spend hours each and everyday on here like some of you can.

Yet, I never give up and maybe just maybe some day those self-appointed Ministers and Reverands on here will put the past in the past.

If not and they can not move past that, then, so be it. I am done running, hiding, and forgetting about the past. What I am doing is standing up for myself, learning FROM that past and moving forward to the future and the next day.

And for those that are willing to do that with me - fine, let us do that. For those that don't, well, you have that right - just as I have the right to ignore your petty nonsense and endless personal attacks regarding my character and past downfalls.

There is a reason it is called the past - it is in the past.

There is no beneift or cause served by living in the past - and I will no longer be destroyed, hindered or intimidated by those errors of poor judgement from the past.

garman351

Expert Expediter
One thing I noticed when driving a straight truck was people asking those questions were not trying to be rude, but just curious and very tactful about it. Plus if you take someone who has been hauling bulk loads all their life they think along the lines of payload and capacity. Then they see me in this Class 8 truck with a 22' box and they think there is no way they can be making any money.

When I asked I responed with I make x% of x per loaded mile.

How much do we make?
IT'S NEVER ENOUGH
Or,
It's not the money! we simply enjoy living out of a truck for weeks at a time to experience the feeling of the open road. Than I throw-up.
Garman

M

mcclain

I just tell them enough for me, not enough for some, not anywhere enough for most, and not even close for those greedy SOB's on Wall Steet and in DC.........

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I just tell them enough for me, not enough for some, not anywhere enough for most, and not even close for those greedy SOB's on Wall Steet and in DC.........

So how's the job at McDonald's going?

Learn the right way to flip?

M

mcclain

greg334 -

Dude, I got a feeling your trying to go a couple of rounds with me - is that the truth?
I am not here to stir anything back up or participate in any of these personal attacks.
So, if you think you are going to get under my skin with your pokes - it ain't going to happen.
Besides, I don't like McDonald's, I don't think I could ever master the whole 'flip' deal.
I am more of a Long John Silvers person. That way all I would have to do is drop everything in a deep fryer and grease the hell out of it all.
Now, if that whole McDonald's shot was for someone else, sorry about that - but I don't want anyone associating me of all people with McDonald's.............Burger King maybe,,,,,,,,,

greg334

Veteran Expediter
No Mcclain, I am just trying to liven up my day, beside I don't think you could handle McDonalds :p

Seriously I think when you post your truck stuff, it really gets me to wonder if I should have gone down that path and make all that money. But again, I am movin towards other work maybe out of the truck by my deadline...... leaving all that work I would have done for you and your 8 trucks - I think it is 8 trucks.

I was wondering if you have all these trucks moving, and people are doubting you, maybe you should just throw a few key people here a bone or two to quiet some... you know what I mean?

Like you know.... IRT could have used a run near home ... could have open a door for you if you called someone at FedEx, like Virginia. You could have called her and say "hey Gini girl, you guys have been really cruel to IRT, you know he wanted to go home and spend some time out of the truck so I tell you what I will do, I got a load going near his house and I'll let you have it for say $3 a mile to help him out, what'ch ya think?" I think this would have opened the door to all that FedEx freight for you, and seeing Phil has said that FedEx is really booming, you could pick up that slack for them... maybe get you a white glove fleet like FedEx and really rake in the dough.... no more working at LJ silvers.

M

mcclain

greg334 -

Like I said no McDonald's.................that whole flipping deal just is to much. I could handle a deep fryer though that would be OK.
It's actually six trucks and I have been able to keep them busy so I worry about them and any loads I can not cover go to the other terminals..........no bone tossing with this company.
Now, I know we have two other owner operators starting by Wednesday which will give me eight out of here, but for now it is six.
Hey, and what else would you want to do anyways outside of trucking - its the hooooooooooot........

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I tell them how much I get per mile on the average load, and then mention how much fuel I burn. The last number usually gets an envious look from most truckers.