How much is too much?

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
Questions for the expediting owner/operators and drivers:

*Have you established a certain fuel price (diesel and gas) that is the cut-off point for your business?
That is, at what price level will you be forced to shut down or cut back on transporting some loads?

*What reasons would you cite for the recent jump in fuel prices?

*How high will the cost of fuel go?

Jeff Jensen
Editor

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Well...It would be nice to shut down until the prices dropped, if they ever do, but not everyone can afford that. Everyone speaks of shutting down in the middle of the road as a protest, but I have never seen it. Course, I havent been out here as long as some. I expect to see fuel prices get above $2.00. WHY? I don't know. OPEC says they will keep on pumping. Hope something gives.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
I CAN LAST A LITTLE LONGER THAN SOME, SINCE ALL MY TRUCKS ARE PAID FOR AND MOST OF MY DRIVERS PAY FOR THE FUEL. I ASKED THEM AND THEY SAID AT $2.00 GAL, THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO RUN, SO I WILL WORK SOMETHING OUT WITH THEM SO WE CAN ALL MAKE MONEY, I HOPE

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I think it was about 4 yrs or so ago maybe longer or less im not sure but they did shut the trucking industry because of the fuel prices and they had people go in front of high up politicans and they finally worked out a deal on diesel fuel..I know drivers have in the past shut there trucks down where ever they where in america as a protest to the prices of diesel....So we will see.There is no reason for fuel to be rising like it is.ITs really bad when you get fuel today and tomorrow and get it from the same place and they have not had a truck bring fuel in and the price is still rising...Makes no since.Oh well if all else fails i will park mine and go back to painting cars....

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Price gouging by the oil companies... a steel hauler I drove for as a casual back in '73 went under because of the "oil crisis" back then... As soon as big oil get their numbers there will be plenty of fuel at their price, and the hell with the general public. This is why I think Bush and his crowd will be voted out of office in the '04 elections...it's the economy, stupid,( to quote former president WJ Clinton).

DooWop

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
well thats what happens when you elect someone into power that has ties with the oil industry.Hell he can control how much money he makes.Its all about politics.I think i would have rather had a president who like taking advantage of interns....lol its a lot cheaper...

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
A steady average of $1.859 a gallon for gasoline and I am done. I will not haul freight at a loss for anybody.

Reason for gas and fuel price spikes? I would have to say it is corporate and political in nature. (Can't make money in the stock market, so let's put our money in gas futures...Thank You Bubba)How about releasing some of the US reserves, Please.(NOTA chance in he$$) Then add in the greed of the oil companys with price gouging. The AAA is already screaming FOUL.

The FEAR MONGERS....The press and their alarmist headlines. The all time kicker to the hike yesterday...Bin and his latest message.Sent all the Gas Station Managers to the sign bin for higher numbers.

My sister is a store manager for Speedway and she calls me the minute she gets a call from corporate. I immediately go and fill up.Thursdays are their usual "price restoration" days.She told me tonight her DM said get out the $2.00 signs you may need them in the morning.She is figuring mid-grade and premium will go over the top of $2.00 here in NE Ohio with the next "price restoration".

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Well for me it might be geting to that point,but this weekend I'm changing to my Ford van which has a 6cylinder in it my Chey is a 8. I'm going to try that for awhile.How high will it go?2.10.And quit putting this on Bush. Hawk

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
For me $2.00 is the cut off line.My truck is paid for ,my living expenses are low so I can do something else and survive.It might not be fun but who said life is supposed to be fun.
G.W Bush is not the problem,the problem is the top guys at BP/Amoco,Shell (which is a Dutch Company) the Saudi!s ,the Venezulan
mess and so on. They see a way to raise prices due to the fear of disruption of supplies and go ahead and do it. If this disruption does not happen (which it probably won!t) they rake in big bucks for bigger bonus!s. I personally would rather have a President who is willing to kick some A-- rather then a President who is getting some A--. from a 21 year old. Garry Addis where are you??

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't worry too much abot price right now. Good to get that 11 mpg. The only concern is that rates don't take too long to adjust. I was also truckin in 73 when I had to get in 2 hour line to buy maximum 50 gal at a time. Shortage really sucks. Shippers gettin off real light here in US compared to Europe. Plenty room to raise rates. If anyone has time go to discusion group Misc.Transport.Trucking. Go down to thread titled "Motorhomes" and read the posts from guy named "Stubaxel" He is a roadtrain driver in Australia. He does the Perth to Darwin route. 6000miles roundtrip takes 2 weeks. His rig gets 2 miles to gallon loaded in the wind. Fuel is $5.00 a gallon in Australia. $12,000 fuel bill for a round trip. Now yer talkin fuel expense lol. The post was on Feb. 11 Very entertaining

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
Here is a Easy solution.We do have enough oil in our country to last a very very long time.Why not release some of our oil reserve....Or would this be too easy of a resolution.I know people who own land where there is oil and there has never ever even been one barrel of oil pumped from there.The company who he sold the oil rights to say they will never pump oil out of there in his life time.So he dont make any money till they pump but they own the rights...Unreal.Oh yeh and Bush can demand they release some of our oil reserve if he wanted but why would he that would be taking money out of his families pockets...lower the fuel and oil prices = take money out of people who own oil.....or leave it alone and make lots of money.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'am new here, well actually been snoppin for a couple months now and decided to register, being a van operator for a small expedite and courier company out of Hamilton Ont.

Gas here to-day hit 82.9 cent a liter 3.8=approx. U.S Gallon 79.9 for diesel sheeeeesh! Relatively new van I have, I keep to the speed limit and co. has fuel surcharge so I'll be okay.

I figure Wall Street and they're damn speculating just cuz of a MAYBE war, Wish ole Bushy would get off the fence and kick a## and we could get on with our lives, He's hurting the whole economy with all this foot dragging.

Drive safe and live for tomorrow!

joker

Expert Expediter
RichM, seems to me the only a**es being kicked since dubya was appointed is our own. Think we should grab another PETROLEUM product as in the jelly form and brace for the other option you mentioned??? :D :D :D :D

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
they need to come upo with a serious adjustment for the fuel I know the minimal fuel surcharge i get does not even come close to covering these prices..the truly sad part of it is enough of us are going to have to go under and the industry lose enough trucks for a shortage to accur for true rate adjustment to take place..god i hope these prices dont stay high that long..

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
i got caught needing fuel at the wrong time and in the wrong place yesterday. $202.9 a gallon on the new york state thruway,ouch!!

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Jeff,
I was reading some of the replies and I understand where allot of the drivers are coming from being leased on to companies that get more than half of the trip money for doing very little.(The Companies are over paid, the driver needs to make more.) I notified all my accounts and told them that if and when the fuel reaches $2 I would have to adjust the contract accordingly, and tact on a fuel surcharge. I had to do this about a year or so ago, just after 9-11 when the fuel climbed above $2 gal.

I know other companies are also getting more money now or will be soon. If I was a driver and leased on with a company, I would write a letter to the company and tell them that if and when the fuel hit ? (your cap) I need to get X amount of money per trip or I will have to park my truck. If you as a drive are going to park your truck as you say, then what do you have to lose? If each and every driver reaches his/her cap, and you all parked your trucks, then what? The one thing I do know is that I’m not going to deliver someone’s freight and have it cost me money.

The bigger companies are already telling the shippers they will need to get more money. I know this for a fact. My phone is ringing 10 hrs. a day every day from shippers wanting to know my rates, and fuel surcharge percentage.

JJ

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
"I was reading some of the replies and I understand where allot of the drivers are coming from being leased on to companies that get more than half of the trip money for doing very little."

Teacel,
Are you saying that leased drivers are over paid????

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Well, I'd have to say much of the issue is with individual stations. I fueled in Akron, OH the other day at $1.639, all of the turnpike service plaza's in OH and PA were at $1.689 (and I usually expect them to be high), then I passed a stop on I-70 in PA with no near-by competitor who posted their price at $1.989.
Who knows what will happen. Just keep in mind, it's not Bush that's to blame, try the greeny weenie environmentalists that insist we not use our own resources.
I'm a company driver, but still watch fuel prices closely as much of my wages are bonus based, and I like my stock to grow. Try to avoid fueling on Friday/Saturday and hold out til Monday if you can. The prices seem to drop a bit in the early week after a hike.
Shutting down isn't really an option, but avoiding Truck stops that seem to be taking advantage is.
Also, good reason to watch the speed and idling.

Just my thoughts. Be safe.:D

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
No JJ. You read the post wrong or I may have written it wrong. I'm saying that the companies you are leased to are over paid. They do very little to be earning the kind of money that they get. Then on top of the higher prices at the pump, and the surcharge %, They do nothing to earn any of that, but still take a cut.