How much does your sprinter weigh?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I was talking to a sprinter owner last night and he got dinged with an over weight ticket (warning) here in Michigan for being 40 plus lbs over. He was hauling 3 pallets that were 2821 lbs (as weighed before it was placed on the van) and his GVW is 8660 lbs - meaning with the generator (onan), the personal stuff, securement stuff and the A/C unit (small RV type) on the roof all added over 5680 lbs. After he dropped, he went, filled it up and got it all weighed - 5693lbs.

How many of you actually have had you sprinter weighed with all the stuff you carry, full tank of fuel and yourself?

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Greg,

I don't have my empty weight ticket right to hand but I think mine was at around 5600 or 5800 lbs. and change ...... with all my cargo securement gear, my personal junk, a full tank of fuel .... and me. Obviously I should probably pull it out and look at it again. ;)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Posted on the door frame of each of two new 2500, 170wb high top, extended sprinters was a label that, on one said "maximum capacity of occupants and cargo, 2877 pounds" and on the other it said 2785 pounds; the difference, I reckon, being factory installed options. The GVWR of each of these Sprinters was 8660. One of the Sprinters had a recent scale ticket, at a little over 7000 pounds, that reflected the van with a very nice owner installed sleeper area and all the securement devices. I don't know if both folks were in the van when it was weighed.

The latter of the above vans was leased to a carrier that expects its vans to tote 2500# van loads, but as the numbers indicate, the van can only safely haul about 1700 pounds of freight.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 05 158" high top door sticker says 8550lb Gross..
With me and wife and all our gear weigh ticket is about 6300. That would leave about 2250 for a legal and safe payload! I hear all the time so many claiming to take over 3,000lb loads...and then they are whinning that the motor is going or tranny is slipping. Well to you's that overload you know where sympathy lies?? Between sphylis and sh#t in the dictionary.

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 07 2500 140" med top, Cat Scale 5940 lb empty with a "ton" of cargo securement items, carts, pallet jack and personal stuff.

Brownie

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
His weight rating is 8550 and curb weight about 4800 depending on factory options. I'm wondering what he needs a pallet jack for.

One other comment on the post I made above. The van I saw with the nice sleeper had a fixed wall which left 9-1/2 feet of cargo space. That meant that 3.5 feet of cargo space was forward of the axle and 6 feet aft of the rear axle. I shouldn't think that a 2000 pound load back there would be a very comfortable/safe ride

fastrod

Expert Expediter
So what do you do Terry, haul 2500# loads illegally or turn down anything over 1700# and have the carrier mad because you signed a lease agreeing to haul up to 2500#. I would think that if you are required to haul 2500# you should set up your van to haul it legally. What it sounds like is that these sprinters can not haul very much. I have a 1989 ford extended 1 ton with a gvw of 9100# and it weighs 5970 with me in it giving me 3130# of cargo capacity on 10 1/2 foot of floor space.

brownie4042

Seasoned Expediter
I just had a feeling someone would ask why I carry a pallet jack. Well I am getting old and nutritionally challenge (only can shop at “big boys shopâ€), (and a face only radio and e-mail could love) so at the end of day just trying to save some wear and tear on the body. I work out of Chicago metro and do 80% local, and do a “ton†of inside delivery. Many office building that require hand unloads since no docks. Also some of docks have only the hand power stackers and due to insurance rules will not pull front pallet back with, chain, rope, or pallet puller. And not of fan of “come longsâ€. Case example 70 cases of wine 2400 lbs and booze from Jim Beam Corporate headquarters to one of the many charities they donate for auctions. No pallet load at pick-up, so I always carry two light pallets hand load one pull it forward, and load rear one. Like wise at drop no pallet unload, saves many jumps up and down out of truck to load and unload up front part of van. Load 1 hr., drive 12.4 miles in Chicago traffic 50 mins., and unload 1hr. 15 mins. = 164.80 in my pocket and not as beat up. Would buy a power gate if they would make an above bed rail type for Sprinters, but none available at this time.

Brownie

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Every time I add (or take away) something from the van, I get an empty weight ticket. And at the very least, once a quarter, generally the same day that I send in my Quarterly Maintenance Report (best way for me to remember it), I'll get a routine empty weight ticket. If I get loaded with something that doesn't look or feel quite right, I'll make a beeline to a scale, as well.

In my case, my empty weight is currently 6020, which leaves 2530 for cargo. Panther rarely puts more than 2000 pounds on a Sprinter, and the vast majority of my loads are 1000 pounds or less. (In the last 15 months that I've had this van, 62% of my loads have been 500 pounds or less, 88% 1000 pounds or less.) I have had loads of more than 2000 pounds three times, with the heaviest load being 2835 pounds. For me to accept a load of more than 2000 pounds, it will have to depend on the routing and road conditions. I wouldn't want to haul 2500 pounds through the Smokies, but I'd take it for short distances that will be routed over relatively flat land.

No, Sprinters cannot haul the same freight as a Ford 1 ton, because the GVW of a Sprinter is 1000 pounds less than a 1 ton van. Some carriers will try and max out your van every chance they get. Con-Way was like that. Sheesh, every time I'd look up they'd have a load offer of 3500 or 4000 pounds for my E-350, knowing full well that I was contracted for 3000 pounds max. With Panther, I'm contracted for 2000 pounds. Once in a while they'll offer me one that's more than that, and I accept or reject on a case by case basis.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Terry, what is your empty weight? I'm at 6900# with myself and a full tank of fuel.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I'm a tad over 7000 when Rene' and all her belongings are aboard my 2006 chev 3500.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
>I'm a tad over 7000 when Rene' and all her belongings are
>aboard my 2006 chev 3500.

Rene must pack like my JuJu!!*LOL*

6300 with her...6000 without...

60MPH

Expert Expediter
I don't have a sprinter but my 06 3500 ext express with D-max comes in at a wopping 7200# unloaded of course, thats with me and a full tank of fuel and my sleeper and all my stuff that I own. I live in my van so there is alot of stuff in here. the GVW is 9600# which leaves me with 2400# cap, but I have it reduced to 2000# with my carrier. And yes I refuse anything over 2100#. I have had to leave customers empty because the freight was to heavy and the customer wanted to ship all of it. as I have found out most customers do not care about your safty or any laws you would have to break. All they know is if the van that was here yesterday hauled 3000# why can't you, and why did your carrier send you here if you can't haul that much weight. And I just say "I don't know me just drive's the truck
take it up with them" I learned my lesson about talking to customers I let disp. handle all problems, just like the good little driver I am
I know some of ya'll may think it's dumb to call disp. for every little problem but I do, and I record all my conversations with customers and dispatch. I gots me a little mini tape recorder and it has saved my but more than once.

60 MPH ALL DAY-EVERY DAY