How Much Do You Really Make per Hour?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are no pay per hour here. Unless you drill down your hourly rate would be somewhere around 7.5 cents per hour. Do you really want to try and drive yourself nuts? This is NOT an hourly business.
Exactly why I check - so I don't go nuts - I average between 5-8 an hour after everything, including sleeping. The truck makes about 30 - 40 on deliveries but I don't, so that figure to me is pointless. At 7.5 cents I would be flipping burgers ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I guess you could figure you hourly wage using only the time you are behind the wheel and driving while loaded, and the time spent getting loaded and unloaded. If you do that, you'll think you make some real money.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Trying to calculate an hourly rate is an effort in futility. This is not a by the hour industry, so therefore, you just can't calculate a by the hour pay rate.

Imho, of course!
accountant-smiley-emoticon.gif

Reactions: Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
when you are sitting in some truck stop for days on end ...many things go thru ones mind...and this is one of them...

approx...672 hours available in 4 weeks and you are on duty all that time....IF you gross $6,000 average that month....thats still less then 10 bucks an hr....:p

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trying to calculate an hourly rate is an effort in futility. This is not a by the hour industry, so therefore, you just can't calculate a by the hour pay rate.

Imho, of course!
accountant-smiley-emoticon.gif
isn't nearly everything that gets posted?....LOL :pokepoke:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I calculate the hourly, with deadheading, just as a gauge to see whether I should be looking elsewhere or not. But think of all the people driving to work that don't include that...or taxes...you can be misguided as an employee too

Yeah, hourly employees pay more per year in taxes, but they also get more in return. They get unemployment insurance, they get social security retirement/disability, and they get Medicare. Even if an expediter pays into these systems all on their own, they are losing even more money than an hourly employee. As an hourly employee, your employer pays 6 percent into social security taxes, and another small percentage into Medicare taxes. If you pay into it yourself, you are holding the bag for the entire 12 percent and another 4 to 6 percent for Medicare. Medicare is perhaps one of the most important benefits to have as an elderly person; as medical expenses are what eat up most of old peoples retirements. Medicare pays 80 percent of your medical expenses which can be a huge amount when your body starts breaking down. As an expediter in a cargo van, paying an extra 10k in taxes by not taking your mileage deductions would pretty much suck half of your profits away. I'm just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
when you are sitting in some truck stop for days on end ...many things go thru ones mind...and this is one of them...

approx...672 hours available in 4 weeks and you are on duty all that time....IF you gross $6,000 average that month....thats still less then 10 bucks an hr....:p

But then again, what job do you know of that pays you to smoke, drink coffee, listen to talk radio, and chat on the phone all night long? I always hated sitting around at truck stops, but I actually never considered driving actual work. I loved driving and was just thrilled to death to be getting paid for it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
(Removed my post, I'm tired of my own complaining)

Yep, paid to listen to music and smoke and relax is the only way to think about it...

Last edited:

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you go to eHarmony and post that you are available, does that mean you are on a date?

Unless you bill your time by the hour, you don't have an hourly wage. As an independent contractor running your own business, the only person that pays you is you. If you want to pay yourself to sit at a Pilot for 2 or 3 days, then by all means do so. The question is, would you hire an employee and pay them to do the same exact thing?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok but if you crunch the numbers, and divide your net by the time your job takes, you get an hourly number. Useful only as an idea of what your time is worth.

I've been doing that calculation for years to counter wife complaints

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For Canadians: from CRA interpretation bulletin

"A claim by an individual for "motor vehicle" expenses calculated on a cents-per-kilometre (mile) basis is not acceptable."

Found my answer. Yay. :mad:

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Yea yea
Just seems to me every time election year rooms around rates drop
Everytime they raise wages rates drop
Its getting close to the time to just say the hell with it and go on disability