How Low Will You Go? II

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A really good question was raised by easyrider2697 in a topic entitled "How Low Will You Go?" Unfortunately, the thread went south and was locked. Patrick House presented a hypothetical situation:

"I know everyone situation is different, so the answers will vary on this, so please tell us the type unit you drive......no need for company you are leased on to that don't matter..........ok here are the events leading up to this.

1. You have already delivered into a slow area.

2. You have already been sitting for 2-3 days and no good load offer.

3. You are bored to death sitting not moving.

4. How cheap will you allow someone to load you unit?

"Now I know some will say you should have gotten more money to go in and then deadhead out.....others will say you should not have taken it....but all aside you have already done it now just waiting on th QC to ping and it not doing its thing and you have made your mind up to run a backhaul.....so whats your bottom dollar to run?"

Back on topic, my reply is:

If the freight does not come to us, we go to it. Our practice is to sit for up to 24 hours (give or take, depending on time of day) after a delivery. If an acceptable offer is not received in that time frame, we deadhead to a more promising express center (not always the closest express center).

That is not a hard and fast rule. If we can make productive use of the time (truck maintenance, business paperwork, sleep if needed), we may stay longer in the delivery area. But most of the time, we will move toward the freight. If we can get relocation help from our carrier, that is fine. If not, we deadhead anyway.

If there is a recreational or tourist reason to stay in the area, we pass it up until we know what our next-load schedule permits. Part of being in service and ready to run is being in service and ready to run. While waiting for freight, we stay close to the truck and ready to roll at a moment's notice.

We do not use third-party load boards or brokers to find freight. The downside of that is while we are on a cheap back-haul load, a very good load might pop up from our carrier that we would miss because cheap freight is already on the truck. As often as not, when we are deadheading to a better freight area, a good offer comes in.

Now for the ironic part. I write this as we are in service, ready to roll, waiting for freight with 28 hours of dwell time...sitting at home!

Home for us is in the Minneapolis express center, which is a very good express center. We have never waited more than a few hours to get a load after we have been home and gone back in service. But today, here we sit! Ha!

When we were first researching the industry, a number of experienced drivers said we would get bored with the work after the novelty wore off. While that may be true for some folks, it is not true for us. It's been four years now and every day feels fresh. You want to see bored? Look at us after we have been home for a few days. The truck is already clean. I'm starting to think about waxing the Webber grill.

The next-best express center is Chicago but I doubt we will go there. Minneapolis is very good. By the time we got to Chicago, a Minneapolis load would probably have popped up. Some neighbors are keeping their State Fair pig entry in the barn. Maybe I'll go make friends with it.

There is that stack of trucking magazines to go through that build up at home when we are gone. But golly, you can only take those in small doses. They read like a broken record....fuel prices, driver shortage, trucker of the month, manufacturer offers new product, hours of service, home time...yawn.

Dwell time now 29 hours....dum, dum, deedle, deedle, dum, dum, deedle....

greg334

Veteran Expediter
28 hours of dwell?

then

29 hours of dwell?

Took you an hour to write this?

Just kidding, Phil - really you have a good grip on it.

You are right about the use of load boards and the opportunity of a lost run that is a lot better paying.

Actually I never knew you could wax a weber grill? Does it really work?

Hey if you have sometime to kill, go down to Milwaukee to Amateur Radio Supply and get a license study guide and get your tech ticket. Eh, you may find it at a good bookstore around your home.

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
thanks guys, maybe it will work this time, I tried to set it up right the first time, but apparently some didnt read all the original post before replying.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
About the only time I use a load board is if I need to get home. In that case I usually don't have time to wait a day or two so it's either take something or gamble. I realize there is the potential of missing something better by taking something off the load board however there are other things to be considered as well.

I may find a load picking up nearby and delivering near home paying a dollar a mile. It isn't an expedite load so that isn't horrendously cheap freight, it's an ltl get there sometime in the next week to 10 days load and that's what they pay. It will only delay me an hour or so to get to it and get loaded and will be $1000 gross to the truck delivering just off the highway I'm on to get home.

I could start empty and hope something comes up and sure enough by the time I get to Little Rock an expedite load comes up paying $1.62 a mile with fuel but it's a 2 hour detour to get it plus another hour on the other end delivering farther from home. It does however pay $1000 gross to the truck.

There are no absolutes in this business other than for me for this truck it's 32.1cpm plus fuel for it to roll so I work from that point.

Now, off topic but relative to another post,

>Hey if you have sometime to kill, go down to Milwaukee to
>Amateur Radio Supply and get a license study guide and get
>your tech ticket. Eh, you may find it at a good bookstore
>around your home.

I recommend the Gordon West book. It gives the question exactly as it will appear, the one correct answer, and an explanation of why that is the correct answer. There are a number of good stores around the country one could visit. To get locations you can visit their websites, some of which are:

www.aesham.com
www.associatedradio.com
www.gigaparts.com
www.hamcity.com
www.hamradio.com
www.randl.com
www.texasradio.com
www.hamstation.com

Between them there are probably a couple dozen locations around the country. More information can be obtained from www.arrl.org as well.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That's right easy, many don't READ, to understand. It's kinda like not asking THE question, because they don't think they'll like the answer. It is in fact, the nature of the beast.

markafd

Expert Expediter
I did read the entire post the first time and this time and my answer was and still is I personally try to not move cheap freight just to move. If I can get a relocation at the carriers expense empty maybe the next guy can get 10 more cents on that load thats still sitting there thats all. get ready for the mexican trucks then we will see how cheap we will all go.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think some are confused with what is cheap freight. LTL is cheaper freight, but it is not expedite freight. In otherwords, no appointment times or exclusive use. That dollar load that some wouldn't want, may be combined with another. If you run at a decent rate, you shouldn't have to worry if you "missed" something. Wow....I am starting to sound like the Colonel. Same thing if you know how to deck a load. You might have the opportunity to do a load at a tractor rate. Sure beats sitting or fooling around with a bunch of short loads, but does require some effort.
I find that most that are critical of this type of freight often know very little about it. It is all a load, just a matter of whether it is the right rate.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Welcome there Dave. But yous clowns wit the toy trucks an dem wit a dozen foot cargo areas, jes gotta sit an wait fer da homerun. An dem dat don't have tollerance for a hose'in, dat don't pay tention, got no business wit the biggboys either. so, what's da answer???

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
As a B unit if fuel is 2.50/gal, which it is here today, I calculate 13.8 cents per mile to move the van (Fuel only).

I can get 15 cents per mile to move, so I have often done so to move back into the freight lanes.

Business is a "TWO-WAY" street. It is pleasure to work with folks who understand that concept.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Like ive stated many times before,while your doing that back haul thing,otherwise known as cheap freight,your going to miss out on the load you really want.If you need to go home,plan your loads in advance,if you have to be home on the 15th of august,then dont be taking that load to california on the 10th,especially if you live in new york,this will cause you nothing but greif.It doesnt take a rocket scientist to make a great living in expedite,just common sense.
I realize most of you in the vans and straight trucks came from other industries,and what you have gotten into sometimes looks as clear as mud,but those that have a hard time,in many cases bring it on themselves.When I have a set time I have to be home,I start working on it a couple weeks in advance,and when I take a load to somewhere that isnt really a good area,it better pay enough that I can afford to deadhead out on my owm nickle,and yes it is easier in a tractor,much less competition

Daytrader106

Seasoned Expediter
Decking a laod is a great way to increase revenue per mile.

LTL is not always cheap freight. Many times it pays fine. You just need to combine it with other stops.

Some of the best money on the road is LTL freight. What would you rather haul?

1 load with one bill at 2500 bucks for 1000 miles. Or 30-50 differant bills on one load for 60%? We have put on Con-Way freight with 42 bills at $16.80 a mile.

Its like Hauling off U ship. One big screen out of Florida at 300 bucks is not good, but pick up 4-8 big screens at 300 bucks each, not to bad.

We came out On Tuesday with 2 motor bikes, 2 big screens, 4 art works and 1 skid of water mellons. All got delivered in The Atlanta area. Not a bad 6 bill load. We used to come out of there empty.

We turned down the load Tri-State offered us. It was very heavy and didn't pay good. We also could not fit this stuff on then. They had 8 skids of tile for under a buck a mile to Atlanta area. They are crazy.

Our truck is older. When we roll we need the best we can get.

The wife and I have not been doing this as long as most, but we sure do not sit around waiting. Our lift gate has paid for its self so many times. As has our loading ramp.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It is amazing the opportunities when one can think out of the box alittle.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Dave, I couldn't have said it any better, great to see some do look outside the box and not just wait on the qc to beep.....keep up the good work guys, with a thought process like that you will go far in this buisness. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It is interesting to learn of other opportunities. We spec'd our truck with White Glove services exclusively in mind. Multi-bill loads? I guess that is an option if expediting tanks and we have to maintain a revenue stream.

That is not really news. LTL freight is a well-known sector of the trucking industry. Still, it is nice to see others saying publicly that when it comes to hauling all sorts of freight, a truck is a truck; and an enterprising truck owner does not have to be left not out in the cold if the expedited freight market dried up. This is a pleasant change from those who broadcast that a specialized truck is doomed if the market shifts against it.

By the way, decking is a common concept too. White Glove trucks are required to carry load bars and decking sheets. With our 12 load bars, logistics sleeves, straps and custom-sized decking sheets (more than required by FedEx), I can comparmentalize our entire truck body vertically, horizontally, and a combination of the two. So could anyone else that wanted to invest a relatively small amount of money in additonal E-Track and decking materials.

Decking and LTL is good news for straight truck owners that need additonal revenue sources.

I do not have a photo with our decking equipment in use. In fact, we have only used our decking sheets one time in four years for the kind of freight we haul. But to explain the concept to readers that may not know, look at the photo below.

You will see 8 rows of E-track installed in the truck. The dark-colored plywood sheets in the front are the decking sheets. The load bars (shoring beams) are stored inthe top row of E-Track. The sheets have hand holes and rounded corners cut into them to make them easier to handle. The wood stain and polyurethene coating has only a cosmetic function.

With decking, the idea is to build a foundation of load bars, at a given height (or varying heights depending on the freight), on which decking sheets are set and secured. Freight can then be loaded at two or more levels. On a multi-bill run, one shipper's freight can be segregated from another's. With some freight, the sheets may not be needed. The load bars alone may be enough.

Multi-bill runs present an opportunity. For us, we don't want to work that hard. Fortunately, FedEx keeps us running well enough that we do not have to. One load of exclusive-use freight at a time is good enough for us. I'd rather wait two days for one FedEx load than spend that time rounding up and delivering multiple LTL loads. There is something to be said for a little free time between loads too.

I might be wrong, but the money would be about the same, would it not?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Impressive set up Phil. Question how does one keep the wood floor in such good shape? How does the refer unit not warp or seperate the wood floor? I figured it would have been a steel floor.

Once again very nice, set up I like all the rows of E-track.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Another really dumb question. How much space do you have for freight?

Wouldn't it be easier to make a deck with some of your load bars, and put the boxes and blankets on that?

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!