How I Spent My Holiday Weekend

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
On the to do list for this weekend is installing:

Dynamat on the floor, ceiling, walls and doors
Routing CB cable & install antennas- (truck didn't come with one)
Replace spot mirrors with heated ones
Install new Seats, inc seat.
Install new midship signals

For anyone contemplating such a job a couple pieces of advice: First get a trim panel tool - I didn't as I only saw the two large ones in the middle of the headliner and figured I'd just replace those but there are also I series of wire clip type ones up near the top edge of the windshield that aren't so easy to remove. The other thing is a second pair of hands would be VERY helpful in removing/installing the accelerator pedal since KW used nuts/bolts rather than putting a nutplate in the floor - god only knows why they did that.

Getting to this point in the photos is about 4 hours work, so this would NOT be a cheap job to have done although a shop that's done it before could probably do it in half what it took me. Other than the interior panels, sound insulation consists of a single layer of quarter inch open cell foam - its no wonder so much engine noise passes though the cab.

In the morning I can start cleaning up (there's quite a lot of dirt that gets under stuff) and installing some Dynamat before moving on to the other stuff.

More to come..........

Attachments

• PICT0029.JPG
    PICT0029.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 46
  • PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 42
  • PICT0031.jpg
    PICT0031.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 43

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Well, here are the results of about 18 hours work. Dynamat installed, CB antennas mounted, cable routed inside the dash and all nice & clean inside. I got three 32sq/ft. boxes of the Dynamat Extreme (9 - 18 x 32 sheets each) At this stage, I've covered the entire roof, floor, and back wall and have used 17 of the 18 sheets in 2 two boxes with both door panels left to do - which will probably wait till everything else is reassembled. Sore fingers, knees and back - now I just have to put it all back together by Monday night. I'll tell you that while not a difficult DIY'er job, its a boat load of work - I'd hate to think what it would cost to have someone do this.

Attachments

• PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PICT0035.jpg
    PICT0035.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 42
  • PICT0037.JPG
    PICT0037.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 41
  • PICT0038.JPG
    PICT0038.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 39

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey OVM, I like my dinosaur rating, I take pride in my
"OldFashionedness" !!!

Yes, P51, I would have been less bored, but it has rained most of the weekend. The rain/wind/lighting is the main cause of my boredom. Had it not been for those problems I would have been fishing!! The truck is also parked in a KMart lot and I am sure that they would frown upon me doing that kind of stuff there.

SKIDROCK

Expert Expediter
Wow, nice job! Where is a good place to get that stuff? I've always wanted to try using that stuff, but never have took the plunge!

Jordan

P51bombay

Expert Expediter

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Well after one day running I have come to the following conclusions. The Dynamat did make the truck quieter but only slightly, not the wow factor I was hoping for. I still have the doors to do but I think most of the noise is coming through the firewall and I might have a go at their spray on treatment later on. Second, the T300 is a bloody small (front to back) cab, I can see that now - tried installing that new Seats Inc Legacy Silver and there is no way short of amputation at the knee. Even mid track and only slightly reclined it hits the back wall (with an annoying little squeek) and the seat cushion must be longer as it sits way too close to the steering column. So the stock one went back in...............booooooo.

moose

Veteran Expediter
If You ever get to Maplewood ,M.N ,
There is a place that will rebuild that driver seat .
Did a great job for me once for only 140$ .
2-3 hours .

Moose.

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
The OEM (national) seat? What did they do and did it make much difference? What's the place called? Actually the stock one isn't too bad after a little time for my butt and back to get used to it - could do with a new seat cover though.