How Goes the New 34-Hour Restart for You?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What the ATeam says IS correct, assuming one figures in the cost of a long DH OUT of an area after a delivery. That can often cut the value of a load rather drastically.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I agree with Phil.
My truck doesn't know the difference between a dh mile and a loaded mile.
A mile is always a mile.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One also has to take into account the hours involved in long dead heads, made all more important with the changes in the HOS.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
ATEAM; Please tell me of a carrier that is willing to give you or me more money because moving freight costs more, I cant even get my company to even remotely try to get dead head covered...they think its the drivers responsibility to cover any and all dead head no matter how far it is...ave 100-150 miles per load.

Pay attention to what TennTrucker & ATeam said, because it's good advice. If your carrier can't provide pay that makes a load profitable [including DH on either end], don't take the load. If it's a frequent thing, don't stay with that carrier until you're broke.
You have the same right to expect a profit [the amount is negotiable] as any business, unless you agree to give it up. Your choice.

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
Deadhead pay is no problem for Diane and me. It was not so with our former carrier and is not so with our present one. When a load is offered, we total up the pay and all miles that would be driven for the load. If there is enough pay to make the miles worth driving, we do the load. If not, we decline it.

It does not matter how many miles are deadhead and how many are loaded. The total miles driven is the number that counts, and the total pay offered.

Agreed, I look at total pay for all miles. That why I perfer percentage over miles pay.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many bills are introduced in Congress that do not become law, and a bill recently introduced to undo the 34-hour restart rule change may be one of them. Nevertheless, the introduction of such a bill is an interesting development.

See: House bill would undo hours rule, reinstate previous restart provisions

I have spoken with and written my congressman on this. He is for this bill. My senators, useless as they are, would NEVER try to override a regulatory agency. They would not kick their lap dogs.

8secondbull

Rookie Expediter
2. I had a load a couple of weeks ago where I was dog tired on Saturday and wanted to stop but I couldn't because I had a noon appt on Monday and wouldn't have been able to start on Monday until after 5am. So I drove tired into the evening on Saturday because of this stupid rule.

Where have I heard this before? :rolleyes:

bullwinkle37

Seasoned Expediter
hello well i havent been out there since the new hours has been in service so i dont know anything about them...so how does it affect solo drivers?

sectra1

Active Expediter
...How goes the new 34-hour restart for you?
Responding to original post...we're not getting used to it. We recently accepted a load that required us to have one driver sit up front. It was a weekend load. The initial plan was a weekend at a safe haven (sister company location). The safe haven would remove the restriction of having a person sit up front. This fell apart when the safe haven facility shut down for over half the time we would be there thus removing rest room facilities for over half the time we would be there.

This forced us to a truck stop, and having to abide by the upfront rule. We may be wary of taking loads of that nature in the future but it depends ... in the case of this load it paid enough to justify the inconvenience. But in all seriousness it was definitely a royal PITA.

Regarding the 8 hour break rule...we find that we were doing it before anyway in one way or another so it's not difficult.

Last edited:

cubansammich

Not a Member
What are the exceptions?
Most vans are exempted. Maybe these stringent regulations on big heavy vehicles is just what the doctor ordered for expediters. We need to get back to the basics of one man and one skid then everyone will be busy beavers.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Again, why do i need to do all the Googling around here, go fish. you can start with Hazmat, livestock, oil fields, regional, and my favorite:snow plow.

Except for the Hazmat, I don't see the others affecting expeditors.

Except OVM snowplowing, and he isn't logging.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most vans are exempted. Maybe these stringent regulations on big heavy vehicles is just what the doctor ordered for expediters. We need to get back to the basics of one man and one skid then everyone will be busy beavers.

(In honor of Moot's birthday)

BAN THE VAN!

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
hello well i havent been out there since the new hours has been in service so i dont know anything about them...so how does it affect solo drivers?

Pretty much the same as for teams: it sucks when it interferes with your personal needs and decisions on when to stop & go.
The less flexibility we have, the less safe we really are.