how do you stay awake?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK, you got a good night's sleep last night and tried to nap during the day but couldn't. Now it's around 1530 and you get a run offer picking up at 1730 for 483 long slow OH and IL miles. You'll have to stay awake all night to do it. What do you do to stay awake and alert? Please keep your answers serious and to the point as I'd like this to be usable in the faq section for everyone looking into this business.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I buy a bag of potato chips,crumble them all ,then pour them in my shorts,guarantteed to keep you awake for days,but on a serious note,running team makes it much easier,you have your partner to share the driving duties

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
Night... good stuff!!!

I drink tons of coffee and try to have phone conversation if possible. I stay away from "energy drinks." They rarely work. Seriously, try something that puts a nasty taste in your mouth. You stay awake forever trying to get that flavor out of your mouth.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We enjoy the late night Road Dog Trucking show on Sirius radio. It is informative and entertaining. If it is a topic we are not interested in on a particular evening then we both enjoy the comedy channels or just Sirius music. I think Sirius has been worth the price for late night driving. Also, the high caffeine coffee at Pilot is amazing! Whew, that stuff is a killer!!

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
An IPOD really helps also. I listen to the radio usually Dave Ramsey from 3:00 to 6:00 then Landline on XM. Then I listen to books on the IPOD or if the book is making me drowsy I have "Stay Awake" music I have down loaded just for that purpose. Sing along high energy type stuff. For those of you that are wondering I do not sing out loud as that would make Molly howl! Also Bob sleeps better if you do not sing out loud.

I also love the coffee at Pilot and have used Cheri's idea and made up little snack bags of dried fruit and low cal cereal.

I also use the phone to help out and call a friend!

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
Hard jammin heavy rock-n-roll administered via ear buds...redbull in an emergency or the liquid screaming energy...those will leave a nasty taste in your mouth for awhile as Critter Truckin alluded to. If the music doesn't work... The Howard Stern channels on Sirius will work...interesting talk radio is always a bit better than music anyhow.
ALSO, NEVER EAT A HEAVY MEAL B4 DRIVING!!!
Light snacks with lots of protein. beef jerky, wasabi coated almonds, or peanut-butter crackers are a few of my favorites.

If all else fails...I wake the wife up...women get grumpy when you wake 'em up...that will get the blood pumping, lol!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unless you are sure you can stay awake and alert, or you are sure that you will have the time to pull over along the way and take an hour nap if needed, refuse the load. No load is worth risking your safety, or the safety of others. High carb snacks will give you a a quick energy hit, but they wear off quickly and cause you to feel even more tired when they do wear off. Caffeine works for many people, but that's not something that should be relied upon night after night for the long term. Satellite radio is a big help, as is getting into a conversation on the CB radio. The bottom line is, the only remedy for sleepy, is sleep.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Turtle's point is valid: if you are simply too tired to remain alert, don't drive. But when it's a case of sleepiness that's due mainly to boredom, then high energy music or snacks, or something that requires attention, such as a phone or CB conversation, an audiobook, or listening to a provocative talk show, will get you past it.
When none of the 'quick fixes' work, then you're too tired to be driving, and need to park- immediately.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
#1 Coffee Spaced about 4 oz per hour. Gulping large amounts won`t help any more.
#2 Rag dipped in cold water applied to forehead,back of neck,and what ever else you can reach.(thanks DAD for this advise)
#3 Power nap 20 to 30 min at "hit the wall" mark (3 am for me).
#4 Notify dispatch you are too sleepy to continue safely.Accept no phone calls urging you to continue unsafe. Make them put it in writing on the Qualcom.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We had to give up on caffeine it wasn't helping. In turn we started sleeping better and have less trouble driving 10-11 hours each. We have pets so the stopping every 3-5 hours to walk them for fifteen minutes helps keep us from getting too tired as well. Little fresh air quick walk to the building gets the heart pumping.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
There you go Moores, a few laps around the machine in January, will get things woke up. Crack the windows, also helps. Actually, if you keep the cabin a little less warm than comfortable, is a good method also. Don't work tho for the creature comfort lovers, or, the health freaks. Summer is a tuff one tho. But, those of you that can't cut it, turn it down. We'll run it.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Seems lately I've been getting that late night shift. (Yawn) I'll stop long enough to get out and walk around amazing how that helps. Listen to upbeat music, Dave Ramsey, or Old Time Radio. I also eat sunflower seeds, it keeps my hands busy cracking the dang things. :+ I also drink bottled water with lemon, it's a refreshing change from coffee.

Oh yeah, if all else fails, I think of Mack in "CARS"...looks like we got us a nodderrrrrr.....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Coffee for the most part and a 10-15 minute Power nap is good for 2 more hours of Driving for me.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Plenty of Sleep

Stay away from the Sugar
Drink plenty of Water
lay off the Caff Pills and Coffee
Eat a Good Meal and dont over stuff your self
stay away from Turkey Sandwhiches and Ham sandwhiches
Take your Vitiams
Also Spinich and green Leafy Veg Can help as they super ALKILINE your System of which Combats What one would call Bad DHL or ACID.
the PH Balance in your system, The Higher Alkine in your system the Lower the Acid in your system the more Energy you will have.
Beverages like CoFFEE and Cokes Pepsi have High Acid Cont. also which make one gain weight as well. How does that Happen well simple your bodys blood steam counters High Acid in the Blood by making Cholestrol HMM (FAT) which lines the Veins (Knows to old peolpe as harding of the artieries) Look it up if you dont beleive me. Well FAT Cholestrol makes you tired. also makes you gain weight make you feel bad. Hmm get my Drift now By Eating Spinich and Green Leafy Vegs or Peas, SUPER ALKLINES the Syestem and give you robust Energy well that how its done for those long hours in the service. IT Works check it out. Im sure there will be some People on here that will not agree but guess what: They are not Physical Fittness Trainers certified through the COOPER Instutite of Dallas Texas are they.

ALSO make sure YOu take a Healthy (DUMP YOUR Garbage) before you took over driving. To be polite. (Use the Rest Room)
that is all

Dissmissed

Cover Your Rear and Have a Safe One.
God Bless
Kevin

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
My husband eats a can of spinach to stay awake. Might sound crazy but it works fantastic for him. It gives him lots of energy and keeps him wide awake for hours, plus it's healthy & good for you. Spinach also doesn't give you a caffeine headache or the jitters like coffee and other high caffeine products tend to do.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
listen to Sirius
stop at a rest area or ts to use the can, whether I have to or not
splash face with cold water
smoke a lot
take a nap if I have time
walk around the truck

Used to go inside truckstops and play a video game to get the mind moving, but that don't cut it anymore.

If I haven't slept all day, I work the run out in my head to see if I have enough time to take a cat nap. But I try to make sure I get at least a small nap every 5 or 6 hours during the day.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This works 100% of the time for me. I have over and over been in this exact situation. At C&M if your gona get a load its usually gona come at 4PM with PU late in afternoon or early evening, delivery next morning.

Natural Caffine Pills, the high dose ones. It is equal to about 4 cups of coffee. No jitters, shakes, or anything take two when you begin to feel heavy eyes, a little stretching or a lot of stretching after taking them to get the blood moving and they are good for keeping one awake for at least 4 hours with no lazy eyes. Sometimes before sunrise I would take one more.

Falling asleep is not an issue either, I could lay down with this in my system and nap if time allowed. As the earlier poster also mentioned, RADIO, and any friends that might be running that night as well.

Hope this helps, it works for me.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
Firegears: Nope, he's never been in the navy or any other branch of service. He's just one of those good ole farm boys from upstate NY. :D