How Do You Secure Your Freight?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In a thread started by wombat52, reference to securing freight was made. He said he was hauling totes that shifted and contributed to an accident. It occured to me that a new thread on securing freight might be helpful to some readers. I'll start with hopes that others will jump in and share their techniques too.

There are many ways to secure freight. The photo below shows not the only right way, it shows one of several ways that may be right (trying to avoid arguements here). I do not have a photo of totes secured in our truck. If we had 1, 2 or 3, totes on board, we would secure them down the center, similar to the way shown (a C-unit only has space for six skids). Six totes would be secured three on each side. Five totes would be secured two on each side with the fifth one in the center. It would take a major impact for this load to shift.

This load (shrink wrapped by the shipper) is secured with six shoring beams (E-Track load bars), four ratchet straps and four plastic corner pieces. It is positioned in the center to balance the truck. The bars keep the freight from moving forward or rearward. One end of each strap clips into the E-track on the wall. The other end is then wrapped around the freight and clipped into the E-track on the same wall. When one strap is tightened, it tends to pull the freight toward that wall. When both straps are tightened, they work against each other and keep the freight snuggly in the center.

The straps are hooked to the wall inside the load bars or "inboard" of the box edges. That brings strap pressure to bear on all four corners of the box. If they were hooked "outboard" of the box, strap pressure would only apply to two corners.

Six bars are more than necessery. But if one happens to fall out, as can happen if the driver didn't get it in the E-Track just right and didn't check the bar before leaving the back, there will be five bars remaining to do the job. Four straps are more than necessary. The same reasoning applies.

On this freight, the plastic corner pieces keep the straps from digging into the box. On wooden crates, the corner pieces keep the rough lumber on the crate from damaging or cutting through the straps. On a tote, corner pieces would not be used as the rounded bars on the tote cage would not damage the straps or be damaged by them.

The load bar and yellow strap on the floor (bottom right) is to secure the pallet jack. After the photo was taken, the pallet jack was run under the pallet and secured there. It will be ready for a quick unload at the delivery (also keeps fork lifts off the truck).

The floor is not wet, as some people assume when they look at it. It is coated with Key Polymer Floor Restore to seal the wood and protect it from moisture. That product brings out the wood grain and gives it its high-gloss shine.

FireGears

Expert Expediter
Timely thread ... good idea.

Over the years I've been ribbed about "over securing" the load.
Yet, what is "too much" as long as the load stays in place.

Expediting often requires some interesting solutions for
odd sized/shaped loads. Of course, there are the fragile
items where protective padding AND securing are required.

I believe a major factor in "securing" is maintenance and inspection.
Maintenance is required for the floor, e-track and DOOR(s).
Constant inspection of straps, load bars and wooden chocks
can prevent disaster. Don't hesitate to replace equipment.
Attempting to get "one more load" from a very worn strap
can get very expensive, very fast.!!!!

Finally, correctly securing a load is also "securing" your safety.

STAY FROSTY .. ;-)

plus ...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't have the luxury of a reefer and thus am not handicapped by the narrower box it mandates so I usually always have freight loaded side by side and if it's an odd number of pieces the last is usually centered. Depending on what it is I may put bars across behind the last pair and then the last one gets straps around it in a horseshoe shape, one each, starting and ending on the same wall. Once snugged they effectively pull it toward the wall while the opposite strap pulls it toward the opposite wall. One or more straps go around it from the back in the usual fashion. I may put bars behind that as well. It all depends on what it is. Totes always go in this fashion as I consider them one of the most hazardous, from a stability standpoint, that I may carry.

If I had to load single file I would probably stagger them against opposite walls and horseshoe them to the wall with straps. I've never given much though to single file loading since I don't have that requirement.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Amen on thorough securement!
Further tips:
Double-strapping and triple-strapping give extra security.
Insert strap ends into E-track right-side-up. (If inserted upside down, an end will more likely fail to remain in place.)
New Haven (Moving-equipment Company) offers a nifty item which goes by the name of "logistic sleeve" (part number NH8000-LS). It slips onto a shoring beam, can slide along the beam, and allows one to secure straps onto the sleeve (and therefore onto the beam). (That's an upgrade on an old-time bedbugger's trick of wrapping one end of a strap around a beam.) A pair of those sleeves allow us to secure a single item or stack against the beam on the centerline of the truck -- or two or three pairs of sleeves allow us to secure the cargo against two or three beams. That gives lateral (sideways) stability as well as longitudinal (lengthwise) stability. The sleeves can be used in various combinations. Use imagination and inventiveness!
Marda and I firmly believe in thorough securement.
We've done this since 1992 -- and I did it one year in -76.
We've never had even one cargo claim.
Securement works!
Ironically, not long ago, one employee at a shipping point -- a federal ammo plant -- a mouthy middle-aged woman -- criticized me for what she called my "overkill" -- my thorough securement -- using three straps on each of two skids of ammunition.
Well, that's OK.
Nobody has ever filed a claim for our having secured cargo too well.
("Overkill" in securement has never cost us any money.)
Best wishes to all!
Doc.
FedEx CC D-6789.

CozDream

Seasoned Expediter
All those e-tracs & adapters & staps are real nice.

BUT

Nothing will secure totes better, than simply nailing
2 8" pieces of 2X4's at each corner. Directly to the floor.

I guarentee it'll take you no longer than 2 mins per tote and you'll never have one go sliding.

2X4's are cheap & reusable. Nails are even cheaper.

I've run mutible 3,000+ pound totes in all terrain conditions and NEVER
have I had an issue.

Bars & straps are nice, simple blocking is the way the pros do it.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Put nails in our wood floor when a load bar on the floor works just as well? Not a chance.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Good thread.

Coz does bring up an interesting point. When I was there, FedEx used to require us carry 2x4's and nails. In the past I had loaders actually use an air nail gun to nail blocking boards to my floor when they loaded something. (yes I raised cain, because it was killer to remove). With the laquered floors that many are going to now, how do you deal with that? No way would I want someone to nail something to the floor if I'd spent all that time and money coating it.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
i always thought of load securement from the stand point that you can't have anything to secure. i used to get picked on by other drivers when i pulled flatbeds. they would say i had so many bungees on my tarp that they could hold the tarp and load down as well. :)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If we are at a loading dock, and push comes to shove, and there is no other way agreeable to the shipper, the shipper wins and nails go in the floor. We will fill in the nail holes later with wood putty or Key Polymer's Crack Filler. We carry 2x4s, a hammer and nails as required by FedEx Custom Critical. Since putting the truck on the road in June, 2006, we have not had a load where nails were required.

We came close one time. The shipper was obviously accustomed to nailing down the freight once it was on the truck. Once it was on board, he approached with an arm-load of 2x4s and his nail gun. He had not seen the floor. A co-worker loaded the freight.

When he laid eyes on our floor, he stopped and said, "You don't want me to put nails in that floor, do you?" "No sir." I answered, "and thank you for your consideration." We secured the freight to his satisfaction.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Mountainman,
There's where you have a responsibity to refuse to work for that person. And I'm sure his company would be interested to know he doesnt' provide a method to secure the freight. If you get inspected, you will be the one getting fined for failure to secure freight.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

"Ability can take you to the top, but it takes Character to keep you there."

- Zig Ziglar

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I know alot of companies inspect for frieght securement equipment when you sign on and if you don't have what they perscribe you get it or you don't lease on.

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Marda and I too try to avoid nailing whenever possible.
When nails are unavoidable, and when we do the nailing, we use duplex nails -- double-headed nails -- used for building temporary framework and other temporary stuff.
One head holds the cleat in place -- and tells when to quit hammering -- and the other head still sticks out so as to make it easier to pull the nails out later.
They're available at Home Depot and other fun places like that.
We use a 24-ounce framing hammer for whamming and a long-handle crowbar for pulling.
Cheers!
Doc.
FedEx CC D-6789.
OOIDA.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I thought FedEx still required 4 4ft pieces of 2x4, nails and "plywood decking" It does not say how much decking or thickness etc. They also require 3 rows of e track, floor rings and don't forget the hammer and nails. I have never used decking or 2x4's but will have them when they check me in two weeks. I have had nails driven in by shippers. I have never put one in myself. A couple of shippers have said I was "too slow and picky" about my securment methods. I always politly remind them that is is THIER freight and I am sure that they want it to arrive in perfect condition and that I have never have a freight damage claim and I will make sure that THIER freight is not the first to have a claim. ALWAYS works, they stop complaining then. By the way, FedEx requirements can be found starting on page 3.6 of the new handbook. Layoutshooter

CozDream

Seasoned Expediter
FedEx puts requirements like 2X4's for a reason. Don't ya think ?

You really believe a straight truck could possibly flip if those totes were properly blocked by 2X4's ? Unless there was a total suspension failure, failure to properly block the totes is the sole cause of the accident. The deck is made of wood for a reason.

Paul56

Seasoned Expediter
Good job!

Obviously not everyone secures the same way; however, there are two fundamental things we do different...

We don't have the floor covered with a gloss finish as I believe that makes it somewhat more slippery than bare wood, unless it has been treated to create a non-skid surface.

I will drive nails into the wood in a heartbeat to secure the load by my own doing or the customer's request.

Obviously, the floor in the box is one area of the truck I'm not too fussy or particular about. :+