How Do You Remove Graffiti From a Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Our truck was tagged today. After leaving a shipper in Los Angeles, we saw it. Graffiti is on the passenger side sleeper wall and truck body. It appears to be made with a black felt-tip marker.

Under load and not wanting to stop for any length of time, I tried to get it off at a fuel stop, using Goo Gone we carry in the truck. It had no effect. The truck stop had nothing on the shelf that would do any good.

Does anyone know of a good graffiti removal product or technique?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well Phil, sorry to hear that. There is something that just wants me ...... never mind.

Anyhow, the problem is it could also be a paint pen, which in any case don't try things that will set it. A paint pen is the same as using paint, except if it a certain brand of paint pen than you may have a real issue as it can not be removed.

As for a product, Tagaway works to a point, you can call 877.824.7763 to find out where you can by the stuff on the west coast or order it at that number. Goo Gone, acetone and even lighter fluid will mess up the finish if not used properly.

Of course your truck is waxed? I would expect to be but waxing it helps a lot with these little real world issues.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
3-m makes a little wheel that fits a cordless drill called a Eraser takes the crap off and leaves the Paint. I've used it to remove Glue from signs and those little Yellow marks from where I open the rear door into a pole.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It won't remove the paint but a .45 between the eyes of the tagger would be well deserved.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i have used the eraser on a drill it works.... but i like leos responce better...gauranteed never to tag again

XCountryTeam

Seasoned Expediter
WOW, that is terrible. I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. We have used goo gone for many things. The eraser sounds like a good choice to try. I would also call a body shop and see if they have any suggestions. Let us know how you make and what you ended up using.

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Oven off, oven cleaner works and will not hurt the paint. I've used it TWICE already, but I find myself in NYC alot and it's got to be expected. Jack

P51bombay

Expert Expediter
Another vote for Goo Gone which is a citrus based product that will not damage paint, however it is not as strong as Goof Off so should it be a paint then the Goo Gone probably will not remove it. You can find both in most hardware, Grocery stores, Walmart etc. Be careful using the Goof off, it wont damage paint provided you apply it and wipe off right away - which works fine as it is strong enough to remove felt pen immediately.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
Thats unfortunate that happened to your truck. Using an eraser will work. I used the Eraser wheel from 3M before and it worked wonders. Try it in a small spot first. Also I did they get it on the vynil graphics? Be carefull on those with the eraser wheel not to burn thru it.

About 6 years ago all of our cars and a few others in the street were tagged, but they were tagged with spraypaint. We found a product called Graffity Wipes that took the paint off. You can find it as some auto parts stores.

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Try paint thinner, or gasoline. I`ve used both successfully before. Just rub lightly over the graffiti and check your rag to see that it`s not removing your truck paint. Or, you can try it out in an obscure part of your truck, but your truck paint should not come off as it`s alot more resistant than a magic marker or paint pen.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Phil I sent you an pm.

I'll tell everyone else a short version of what I told Phil. If you get graffiti on your truck and don't have the time and resources to take it off right then try to cover it with something like a posterboard and tape. I got shot at one night in Chicago while driving for CR England just because a gang had tagged the trailer and I drove on a rival gangs turf. Those people don't think they just shoot. I don't want to hear of anyone being injured or loosing their life to someone's ignorance.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let us know how you get it off, I am surprised that we have not been tagged in LA yet. Have been there a lot this year. Layoutshooter

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I worry about this happening to us when we are in some of those areas. We will also be really watching to see how you get this off.

I am so sorry though this happens to anyone's truck and I can only imaging how you felt and maybe a few words that were said when you saw this.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Thank you all for your suggestions. We are on a long run now that originated in Los Angeles and will keep us under load until Friday afternoon. There will be little time to stop and work on the graffiti.

Ark, your word of caution is well received. When I worked for a while in a prison (computer gig), I learned a bit about gangs and graffiti. We are on a straight-through run that delivers in a safe area. We will be fine.

I was surprised at my own reaction to this happening; actually the lack of it. There is a mess to clean off the truck. There are ways to do it. I just want to get it done, like you want to get a wheel alignment done when you know it needs it, or get a city horn fixed when it is not working. Once fixed, it's just another day on the road.

If it was a true gang-banger that did it, I don't have to worry about retribution. He will likely be dead, wounded or in prison by the time he is 30. If it is some kid being cute with a marker, his present mind and values set will likely stick with him into his adult years, which pretty-much assures an unfulfilling life.

Either way, that is not my problem to solve. My problem is graffiti removal, which will be solved by Saturday noon.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ark got me thinking. He brings up an important point. Gang graffiti is something to be taken seriously. Expediters are often sent into parts of cities where graffiti is very much in evidence. Knowing a little about it can't hurt.

Here is a primer.

The rule of thumb Diane and I follow when looking for a place to spend the night: If graffiti of any kind is in the neighborhood, we aren't. We will drive dozens of miles to another place if that is what it takes to stay clear.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sprayway has something called Sprayway - 963 - Industrial Strength Cleaner Wipes that will,. absolutely, remove the graffiti without harming the paint or finish. Auto detailers use it all the time. It works wonders. It may be the same thing as the Graffiti Wipes that was already mentioned, or at least something very similar. I got tagged one day in Detroit and just used the far weaker Sprayway - 983 - Heavy Duty Multi-Surface Cleaner Wipes that I carry with me all the time, and it took it off with little effort.

You can get this stuff at any Fastenal location. If they don't have it on the shelves (most will) they can certainly get it in for you next day. Any auto detailer will have it, or something that will work like
PrepSol/Prep-All. Also, in many cases 3M Adhesive remover (or the Sprayway Adhesive remover) will do the trick, as well.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
Your attitude is commendable, I don't think that I'd have been as "calm". Good luck, and please let us know what you end up using

TinInTheWind

Expert Expediter
I am including two web sites for your consideration in removing the Graffiti From a Truck. I immediately thought of WD-40 because I received an email regarding how many uses it had....The first web site is the official WD-40 web site....The second address is the Snopes web site that reveals bogus emails....I hope this helps you guys.....and do keep the tin in the wind !!!!!!
WD-40 Brand 300 Uses - No Mess Pen
snopes.com: Uses for WD-40 Spray Lubricant

markafd

Expert Expediter
the times any of my trucks have been tagged the clean up answer has been the fuel tank right below. Just dip a rag into the diesel and wipe WAALAA gone and only damage was wax was removed from the paint of the truck very easy to fix. Disclaimer: this method does not claim to be enviromentally friendly nor improve your mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.