How do I shut off Spell Check?

vipra

Expert Expediter
For some reason my laptop has started running its spell check feature when I type. It puts a red line under anything it's unsure of, and I would like it to stop doing that. It happens on Wordpad, Yahoo mail, this forum, everything. As far as I know I didn't do anything to make the spell check start working, it just started up on its own recently. How can I shut it off? It's a Toshiba with Windows XP, Service Pack 2. thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK..
What program are you using?

I am assuming that you are using MS word.

If it is 2000 or earlier there should be (I think but not sure) an option in Tools...Options under the spelling and grammer tab to turn off the option but 2003 it is there, just turn off the option.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
If you are running Firefox 2, that would explain the spell check in the web browser windows, but not the one in Wordpad - which you stated it is also happening in.

There is an option in Firefox to turn off the spell checker there (again, *if* you are using that program.)

I've heard of third party programs that will let you spell check Wordpad, but you would have had to install them yourself. Have you installed anything recently that may have added this function to your entire computer?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
As Gregg said, it in options in Microsoft Word. That also carries over to other programs. I did not realize this, til I was typing a letter before I installed Office on a new laptop. I was used to the misspelled words being underlined as a heads up. I hit spellcheck for the email and it told me I needed to install a Wordprocessing program for this option to be activated. My mail program automatically uses the spellcheck from Word now.

On a personal note, why would you NOT want that there..LOL.. I need it!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"You cannot tailor make the situations in life, but you can tailor make the attitudes to fit those situations before they arise"

Zig Ziglar