How do I say thanx?

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hi,

I have another question here. With my old van, when a truck would let me into their lane, I would turn on/off my headlights as a way of saying "thank you." The Sprinter I now have, the lights are always on. So turning then on/off doesn't seem to be an option. I've thought of flashing my brights right quick, but that might make the vehicle in front of me think I'm giving them the brights for some reason.

How do I let the driver know I appreciate him letting me in? I feel kinda rude not being able to acknowledge a nice gesture by someone?

Thanx,
Danny

ps: currently what I do is put my hand out the window & wave/thumbs up if it's not to cold, that's not always practical though.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
>Try blinkin' your 4-ways once or twice

PERFECT-A-MUNDO!!!

Thanx a ton & amazing how the simple things sometimes escape ya.

PS: I tried to go give ya a + rating. I guess I've already done that once so they wouldn't lemme do it again. Prolly better, people might think I'm starting a fan club for ya. Thanx again. =)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I always flash each turn signal once: left, then right. To me, that says "thank you". Some of the big truck drivers, I notice, only flash the left signal, which I consider the ultimate in lazy, & I don't care if they do have to signal 98 gazillion times a day, it;s plain lazy! :+

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Miko,

I've prolly griped about my Sprinter on here enough. My opinion hasn't changed much, but I guess I'm learning to live w/ it. The best way to put it would be to say "this thing is growin on me...... kinda like warts" =) If ya want more info on it, ya can mail or call if ya wish.

Broom,

Sorry, but I don't have anything smaller than $100's.

Cheri,

Yeesh!! Some of those trucks weigh 50,000+ pounds. I come in at less than 10. "I" ain't callin em lazy by golly!! I might suggest weightwatchers to em, but I aint callin em lazy!!

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Cheri, as a class A driver I would like to say flashing one light has nothing to do with be lazy. If you pay attention one flasher has just stopped and then the driver flashes the other side. That then means that in the last few seconds both sides have flashed. One flashed for the turn or change and then the other side flashes for the thank you. If you need both that is then accomplished by flashing four ways.

Nothing at all to do with be lazy. So many vehicles are without any signals these days, I suggest you take what you can get get.

Raceman
OTR O/O

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Raceman, I was JOKING! But, I am also a Class A driver, & have always flashed both lights after moving in front of someone. And, years ago, I went to a car dealership to see for myself whether turn signals had been made an option, cause I wasn't seeing them very often, & thought maybe they weren't included in the base price anymore! (It wouldn't surprise me, considering the way vehicles are priced - seems you have to buy 3 things you don't want, to get one thing you do.)
:p

raceman

Veteran Expediter
>Okay I got ya. As for turn signals, they do not come on newer cars, SUVs and some trucks. So what I started doing about a month ago is telling folks in a concerned way that their signals were not working. If I get next to a person at a light who has been jumping around without signals, I get their attention and then tell them. I think it atleast makes them think about it. Usally I just get a stupid look and now and then a thank you but they drive away with my point, they just don't know it.
Raceman
OTR O/O

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
New cars still come with turn signals as standard equipment. The problem is the world wide shortage of blinker fluid. The United States imports more than 90% of its blinker fluid and is the largest user of blinker fluid in the world. China is a close second due to their growing economy.
Many people are trying to conserve blinker fluid. Green Peace has offered a few suggestions:
Don't make unnecessary turns and lane changes
if you must turn or change lanes, blink once or use hand signal
never use 4-ways
Truck-pool by consolidating your expedite loads

The A.T.A urges its members to put pressure on congress to pass a bill to open parts of Arkansas for blinker fluid exploration.

Minnesota mandated the use of bio-fluid (mixture of fish oil and pine sap) truckers report problems in cold weather. Delayed signals, sluggish 4-ways and dim signals.

Until political unrest in South America is resolved and blinker fluid exports can resume to 2005 levels please conserve your blinker fluid. How many times have you seen some moron in an suv tooling down the interstate mile after mile with his left turn signal on. Come on America, wake up and conserve.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Moot: I am green with envy, because you have the time to post great entries like that, while I'm running around trying to buy all the blinker fluid I can find, lol.:p

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
MOOT deserves and gets the cherished "Best Post of the Week Award"

You may claim your award of a one year supply of synthetic blinker fluid at any Expeditersonline field office located in the rear of a strip mall near you.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The problem I have found with Blinker Fluid is that unless you get Grade 90 or above sometimes the oposite signal will start blinking. This is due to the curvature of the lines bringing the Blinker fluid to the blinker.
Moot certainly deserves Kudos and a Blinker fluid top off for bringing this serious situation to the fore front. Perhaps LM can get Moot on Dave Nemo soon to discuss this growing problem.

hill_top

Expert Expediter
The reason for the Blinker fluid shortage, is because it's a multi-purpose product. I put a few drops in my eyes this morning, and they've been blinking ever since.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
WARNING: Do not fall victim to blinker fluid theft. Keep your hood latched and locked. Be aware of suspecious activity in and around truck stops, i.e. men with turkey basters and small pails and its way past Thanksgiving Day.

I saw a man at the bottom of an exit ramp with hand painted sign. It read, stranded wil work for blinker fluid.

Off to Chicago. Delivering on the west side 07:00.