How Did You Get Your CDL?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
A frequent question asked by folks researching the expediting industry is "How do you get your CDL?" I invite licensed expediters - new and old - to to help our expediter wannabee friends by sharing your story here. Ours is below.

--------------------------------
My wife and me had no truck driving experience before getting into expediting. We got the free CDL maunal from the state and studied from it for our written license and license endorsement tests. We wanted to drive a straght truck, so a Class B license would suffice. Class A licenses are required for a tractor/trailer and are more difficult to obtain.

When we passed our written tests, we gained the permit to drive a commercial vehicle, as long as a fully-licensed driver was present too. That meant little to us since we had no access to a truck.

To prepare for our road tests, we rented the largest Budget Rental truck we could find. They don't rent trucks with air brakes but we were able to practice driving it around for a day anyway. We took it to an empty school parking lot and practiced backing, cornering, etc.

An air-brake-equipped truck was required for the road test. We were able to rent that from a company that provides that service. They line their trucks up each morning at the test site and charge people a fee to use them. For the fee you get one hour of practice driving with a trainer and a pre-trip inspection walk through. You also get use of the truck for the test itself.

The trainer hour is not meant to teach you much about driving. It's more about time for you to get a feel for the truck you'll be driving in the test. That hour helps keep the inspector from leaving his or her teeth in the dashboard the first time you step on the brakes.

The rental truck itself was a joy to test in. It was heavy-duty enough to quallify as an air-brake, Class B license vehicle. It was also short, maybe 20 feet long. It had a back window, rear view mirror inside, and a flatbed where the box (van body) would normally be. We both passed our road tests on the first try.

Because we had no truck driving experience, our carrier required us to take a second carrier-approved road test at a facility of their choosing. We had no trouble with that test either.

When we got in our fleet owner's truck for the first time, he spent a few minutes with each of us driving the truck around a mall parking lot. That was the extent of our training from him. Having seen us drive, he figured we could do just fine on our own.

Then we took his truck out on our new grand adventure. That was a Class 8 (Freightliner Century Class), 40 foot straight truck with an auto-shift transmission. The first few days included a few tense moments but we got through. Our first two loads were in Florida, one in downtown Miami. Our third load took us straight into New York City. While there were some white-knuckle moments, we got through OK.

After a couple of weeks we were very comfortable driving our big (to us) truck. We avoided shifting challenges by insisting on an auto-shift transmission. We avoided the required Class A license training and time and expense by committing to a straight truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Pretty simple in the 80's. All you needed was a chauffeurs license. When the CDL came out, I was grandfathered in.
Wife just went and took the test in a smaller straight truck.
Since I had numerous trucks she had several to practice on.
Davekc

pamc

Expert Expediter
I took a different direction. I went to our local school, as they were seeking driver substitutes. They train, etc.: they did 14 hours classroom, 30+ hours behind wheel, they offered pre-exam reviews ... then off for testing. I "should have" added the Hazmat endorsement, but (at the time) only sought Class "B", Airbrakes, Passenger and School bus (I think Hazmat was all I missed).

I have a fulltime, non-driving, employment ... so this seemed best way to achieve goal of attaining class B.

I sub when I can.
Now scoping out the Expediting thing.

Jerry

Future X Movers

Expert Expediter
We are not expediting yet, but finally, here is a question I can answer!!

I got my chauffeurs license the day I turned 18, and all that was required was a simple written test. This was more important to me than getting a standard drivers license at the age of 16 because my parents owned a moving company, and I would finally be able to drive the trucks somewhere other than the parking lot!

As it turned out, the chauffeurs license was replaced by the CDL just about the time I turned 20. As Dave said, the law allowed anyone with a chauffeurs license to "grandfather" into a CDL if you had held your chauffeurs for at least 2 years. WOW - grandfather at the age of 20! I think it did require another simple written test.

My wife has only had her CDL for about 4 years. It is a fairly simple process to get a CDL in Ohio. She studied the handbook and passed her written test without much difficulty. Then, with her CDL temp permit, I helped her practice and become comfortable driving one of the trucks - a FL 70 with a 28' movers box and a 6' overhead attic. For April, the hardest part of the actual exam was the pre-trip. She is not a mechanic, nor does she want to become one! It was alot for her to learn, memorize, and complete the pre-trip in the allotted 30 minute timeframe. However, she passed all 3 parts of the exam on her first try: pre-trip, maneuverability, and the road test! Yes, I was proud of her!

We have had some great experiences team driving for North American Van Lines, and we are very optimistic about our future in expediting - not to mention that I will not be required to drag anymore pianos out of somebody's basement! LOL

Hoping to hit the road expediting in the 1st quarter of 2005 as soon as we wrap up some business transactions here at home.

Lance & April

If you aim for nothing, you are sure to hit it.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
May I ask how difficult the written exam and how long did your wife have to study? Also, can you take the driving test the same day to obtain your license instead of getting a permit?

Kitty Litter and Ms Puss

Future X Movers

Expert Expediter
Hi Kitty Litter and Ms Puss. April here. The written test wasn't that bad, on a scale from 1 to 10 it was a level 6 difficulty. I studied for the written test for about a week - less than an hour a day. The hardest part was the pre-trip like Lance said. It's not very interesting to learn the parts of a truck. I had to get my temps before I could schedule a date and time at the examiner's station to go for the pre-trip, manuverability and driving test. Unless you already have driving experience, some practice at manuverability and driving would be recommended. Don't know how it will be for you - might be different in each state. Good Luck Though!

If you aim for nothing, you are sure to hit it.

chaz

Expert Expediter
Here is a good site to practice your testing. I think they have 5 different subjects for testing such as "General Knowledge" Airbrakes"
"Tankers" "Hazmat" etc. When you click on the link,on left side of page,click on "online testing center". After you answer,you can click on "get answers".
Chaz

www.cristcdl.com

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Thanks!

I actually went to this website and reviewed some of the questions so that I will be prepared when taking the written test. Thanks for the help!

Kitty Litter and Ms Puss

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
As Future X Movers Lance and April commented, this is something I can answer. About ten years ago I enrolled at the local community college for TT training. It was several weeks long, several hours per day. When it came time for "the big day" I went completely brain dead on the PSI required for air brakes question. "YER OUT" said the DOT inspector. I had to reschedule for another test at another location. A $75.00 test. The next test I did great on the pre trip, air brakes, etc, even driving the school bus. When it came time for the serpentine backing of the tractor/trailer, I crapped out. Another $75.00 test was scheduled, still crapped on the serpentine reverse. Yet another $75.00 test. The inspector told me he was going to walk beside the truck and do EXACTLY as he said, or he would hit me in the head with a baseball bat. He also asked me to please not run over him. Success!!! I now am the proud holder of a CDL-A with passenger, tanker, doubles, and hazmat. One of these days I may actually use the CDL part. :+ :+

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I got an AR chaufeurs license back in the 70's . During that time some states went to their own classifications . A MA semi driver needed a class I , RI a class III . I moved from AR to MA . They would not accept my AR chaufeurs license for a class I - said I needed a road test despite the fact that AR drivers were driving in and out of MA every day and the chaufeurs license was an acceptable license . ( Until CDL came along , MA required you to have a MA class I if you lived in another state but were employed by a MA company . I knew drivers that lived in RI . worked in MA and were made to park the truck if they were stopped and didn't have a MA license . ) . I knew a trucking school owner and asked if I could rent a truck for the road test . He asked if I had relatives in RI . I told him I did and he told me RI would accept the AR license . I got a RI address , got a RI license and 30 days later swapped it for a MA license . I grew up in MA but you couldn't pay me enough to live there .

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Since I'm such an old goat, my story is a bit atypical.
In 1968, while I was on active duty as a Naval officer, I got my first chauffeur's license.
That stuff is in my blood.
My father drove 37 years for Greyhound Lines.
In 1976 (at age 36), with a new doctorate degree in hand, I felt a need to get away from the books for a while before starting to teach.
So I drove for a living for the first time -- as an owner-operator in the New-products Division (which later became the Commercial-transport Division) of North American Van Lines.
I did that one year -- to work it out of my system -- I thought.
Then I started teaching business at the college level.
While teaching, though, I continued driving -- trucks and buses -- part-time -- on weekends and during summer and holiday vacations.
In 1990 I got my CDL under the grandfather clause.
Eventually I took an early retirement from education -- largely because my college had started running into financial trouble.
In 1992 I bought another truck and returned to North American Van Lines -- in the Commercial-padwrap Division.
In 1995 Marda (Special K) asked to join me as my co-driver.
She passed the written tests and got a CDL learner's permit.
I trained her (although she previously had not shifted even a 3-speed manual gearbox).
She passed the road test, and she got her "real" CDL.
Since then she and I have worked together as an inseparable and very happy team.
We ran at Roberts Express (including the WG Division) 1995-98, then in electronics and other high-value products at North American Van Lines (including climate control) 1998-2001.
From early 2001 until late 2003 we took a break from trucking -- we served as unpaid volunteer workers aboard the Mercy Ships.
That was the most rewarding, enriching, and satisfying time of our entire lives.
Last winter and spring we ran for a short time on D expediter trucks in two small fleets -- long enough to pay off some credit-card debt which we had accumulated during our "unemployment."
In May 2004 we tried to retire.
Our retirement has not taken.
We've not yet become ready to stay in one place.
(This fall, though, I've taught three business courses at the local community college, and I've greatly enjoyed doing that again.)
We've begun the process of returning to trucking and to expediting.
Yes, I know that this message tells more than how we got our CDLs.
But some of you may find our time aboard the Mercy Ships to be interesting.
If anyone wishes to learn more about the Mercy Ships, please ask us, or please check the impressive website at www.MercyShips.org.
Please note that's "org," not "com."
Best wishes to all,
Doc.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
That's a great opportunity for missionary work ! My wife and I have been looking for a short term opportunity like this . In the best selling book " A Purpose Driven Life " Rick Warren recommends everyone do some type of missionary work sometime in their life .

finney

Expert Expediter
I grandfathered in and had a cheat sheet for the written (which I didn't need), but getting a class A CDL isn't any tougher than getting a club card for a bar in West Virginia. If you haven't got one yet, don't sweat it; you'll do fine with very minimal preperation. Truck driving is like nursing; no end in sight employment-wise for both the short term and long term future and the need for them is greater than the supply. Truck driving isn't an intellectual pursuit, after all, and you don't have to be a rocket scientist to drive a truck. In fact, I sometimes think the dumber you are the better off when it comes to truck driving.
Steer clear of Warren.