How Are They Going to Enforce the 30 Minute Break?

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Fuel Break, Potty break, meal break, mandatory breaks, when will we find time to drive....Im going the direction of Aquitted, its finally got to the point Im beginning to think theres just too much BS for the amount of Real $$$$....No good Insurance plans like we used to get, regulations designed to make us all robotic and the FUN...The FUN I used to have doing this job...it seems theyve just about got the tipping point mandatory legislatively and ridiculously...

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Why would they be looking at his book for a break? I thought this didn't go in to effect until July?

Good question BigCat. This was what he told me. He took a load of cows out to Nebraska. Was stopped by DOT. I don't know if the question came up or what. Just that the officer said that the fuel stop he showed on his logs was good for the 1/2 break. Maybe the officer did or didn't know any better. Don' t know :confused:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Trucking stopped being fun before most on here started.

I was having fun 28 years ago when I started driving. That's why right now I'm (maybe) leaning towards a van. I just got tired of all the BS regulations. Its got to be a better way to make a buck than this.......... and the 72 hour "let's make some money off the drivers" check. Yeah fun :(

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I have a question for you, I'm pretty new to expediting. So according to the previous post we are allowed to get fuel off-duty? If so I didn't know this. Thanks

TropixBum

Active Expediter
I have a question for you, I'm pretty new to expediting. So according to the previous post we are allowed to get fuel off-duty? If so I didn't know this. Thanks

If your (logging) and you get fuel you are supposed to go to the bottom line on your log (on duty not driving). I show 15 for minutes fueling. DOT officer told my father law that the 30 minutes he had in his book were fine. Whether he knew (the officer) the new rule or knot, who knows :confused:

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Yes tropix is right. Since i am on elogs I log it as I work it. If I fuel in 7 minutes that is what gets logged. After all if I have fueled and got back rolling I can't possibly do 15 mins. I am on fuel n go too so it makes it easy to get in and out.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does it take a lot if training to learn 30 minutes must be logged off duty in the first 8 hours of driving ?

This is for everyone, if you take the break to early then you would have to take it a second time. Therefore, break needs to be taken at the 5.5 hour or later. This is because the rule is written in a way that says from when you come on duty. not from the time you start driving.

Please read the rule everyone to understand how it works.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
From the manual thing I saw with the new hos options on the qc with e logs, there will now be a graph in the summary section showing how long until you need to take your break, and will warn you, as it does when you are almost out of hours of driving time. It will also keep track of if you took your break. I also saw the option of if your carrier has it enabled, for haz loads to take the break on duty.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

The only loads that get the on duty exception are only if you need to babysit the load 24/7.

7) Can time spent waiting to be loaded or unloaded count toward the break requirement?
Time spent waiting to be loaded or unloaded is on duty unless the driver has been released from all responsibility for the truck. Except for drivers attending loads of certain explosives, on-duty time cannot be considered as a break.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here are the FAQ. from the FMCSA's web site.

C. No driving if more than 8 hours since last break of 30 or more minutes
The final rule requires that if more than 8 consecutive hours on duty have passed since the last off-duty (or sleeper-berth) period of at least half an hour, a driver must take an off-duty or sleeper berth break of at least 30 minutes before driving. To address an issue raised by commenters, FMCSA has also added an exception for drivers of commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) carrying Division 1.1, 1.2, or 1.3 explosives to allow them to count on-duty time spent attending the CMV, but doing no other on-duty work, toward the break.

(1) Why is FMCSA requiring drivers to take breaks?
Recent research found that any break from driving reduces risk in the hour following the break, but off-duty breaks produced the largest reduction. This study also showed that when non-driving activities (both work- and rest-related) were introduced during the driver’s shift—creating a break from the driving task—these breaks significantly reduced the risk of being involved in a safety critical event during the 1-hour window after the break. The benefits of breaks from driving ranged from a 30- to 50-percent reduction in risk with the greatest benefit occurring for off-duty (non-working) breaks.

(2) Do I have to take a break exactly 8 hours after I come on duty?
No, the rule gives drivers flexibility in when and where to take the break. The rule only prohibits driving if more than 8 consecutive hours have passed since the last off-duty period of at least 30 minutes. For example, if a driver spends 2 hours loading at the beginning of the day, then has a 10-hour drive ahead, he or she must take the break no later than 8 hours after coming on duty. The driver can, however, take the break earlier. If he or she takes a half-hour or more break at some point between the 4th and 8th hours after coming on duty, the driver can complete the rest of the planned 10 hours of driving without another break.

(3) Does the break have to be spent resting?
No. The driver must be off duty for at least a half hour. Meal breaks or any other off-duty time of at least 30 minutes qualifies as a break. Drivers carrying certain explosives, who are required to attend the vehicle at all times, are allowed to count attendance time, which is on duty, toward the break if they do no other work during that time.

(4) Can the shorter sleeper-berth break (minimum 2 hours) be used to meet the half-hour break requirement?
Yes. Any off-duty or sleeper-berth period of 30 minutes or more will meet the requirement.

(5) Does the break count against the 14-hour driving window?
Yes. Allowing off-duty time to extend the work day would allow drivers to drive long past the time when fatigue becomes extreme. The 14-consecutive-hour rule was adopted to prevent that and to help drivers maintain a schedule that is consistent with circadian rhythms.

(6) Which drivers are most likely to be affected by this provision?
Commenters to the proposed rule stated that most drivers already take breaks, so they are unlikely to be affected. The only drivers who will be affected are those who drive after working for more than 8 hours without taking any off-duty time.

(7) Can time spent waiting to be loaded or unloaded count toward the break requirement?
Time spent waiting to be loaded or unloaded is on duty unless the driver has been released from all responsibility for the truck. Except for drivers attending loads of certain explosives, on-duty time cannot be considered as a break.

*(8) Are drivers using the “100 air-mile radius” or “non-CDL 150 air-mile radius” provisions in § 395.1(e) required to take the minimum 30-minute break if applicable?
Yes. Drivers operating under the 395.1(e) exceptions may not drive if more than 8 consecutive hours have passed since the last off-duty period of at least 30 minutes. Because they are not required to maintain records of duty status (“logbooks”), they are not required to record the break periods. Revised on February 13, 2012.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
(4) Can the shorter sleeper-berth break (minimum 2 hours) be used to meet the half-hour break requirement?
Yes. Any off-duty or sleeper-berth period of 30 minutes or more will meet the requirement.

All anyone would need to do is run 8 hours on, three hours off. Three hours on, 8 hours off. For a team the co driver would be the exact opposite. No loss of 30 minutes. I remember someone posting this as how there team operated a while back.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The only loads that get the on duty exception are only if you need to babysit the load 24/7.

That's partly correct. The other part is the load must be placarded 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 to qualify for the on-duty exception. If you have to babysit a load 24/7 but it is not so placarded, you are required to go off duty like every other driver and load.

This creates an obvious and serious conflict which has not been resolved by shippers, carriers and the FMCSA, and the effective date is rapidly approaching.

TropixBum

Active Expediter
Now I have to add. Is the 16 hour rule still in effect or was this done away with? Sometimes I use the 16 hour rule 1 or 2 times a month. So can the 30 minute rule be added onto the 16 hour rule? Questions & questions. :confused:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
WOW! I really think you guys are making a big deal out of nothing!

During a 10-11 drive I will generally stop once or twice for a bathroom break and get coffee. Sometimes I just need to get out of the truck because I am feeling drowsy. If it is daylight, I might walk at a rest area. This generally takes 15 minutes or so. On my first stop I will just park and add 15 minutes to that off time. All you have to do is select off duty on your status. Nothing more.

Seriously, you guys are making me crazy!

AaaaMEN!!! There's other issues in the new HOS R&R's that have a far far more negative impact upon Drivers work hours than this 30 minute break.

It's just being "Over Thought" by the OP.....That's All.........

Trucking is getting way too regulated for the little bit of money it pays I think it's time to move on to something else like selling time share or vinyl siding.

Would you really want to go into a higher tax bracket ?

And BELIEVE ME..........there ARE other things to be doing rather than Trucking right now that WILL put you in a Higher Tax Bracket. I'm heading towards the 1 percenter bracket that this Administration DESPISES right now..............:)

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's partly correct. The other part is the load must be placarded 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3 to qualify for the on-duty exception. If you have to babysit a load 24/7 but it is not so placarded, you are required to go off duty like every other driver and load.

This creates an obvious and serious conflict which has not been resolved by shippers, carriers and the FMCSA, and the effective date is rapidly approaching.

You are correct and thanks for catching my mistake and that is why I posted the FAQ, because I seem to forget to add the actual rule sometimes.

deadhead

Veteran Expediter
yes Ive been in the same room with them,I was hard to see him since he had his head someone a__,the next month he had a full page layout in the company paper.if i knew he was so special maybe we could have the floor cover in roses, we could have gotten on our knees and honor him.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

What Non Placardable Hazmat requires 24 hr babysitting?......

Last edited: