How are solo's doing?

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Not looking for company bashing etc, just want to get an idea where solos are sitting for the year. Thinking bout going back to driving a D Straight truck solo but if need to see where the money is there.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I was running a straight solo I did good with TranStewart. I was getting 40% of what the truck made and I was bringing in about 800 a week. I would do the math to figure up the full 100% but I'd most likely get it wrong. They are set up for mainly solos although they do run teams. I think it would come up to about 1800 a week, but I could be wrong. Some weeks would be more some less. They do have some long hauls for solos that pay good, and they have the double load system that pays good. One example of that was a double load I took that paid 1.82 from Meridan,MS to Sterling Heights,MI. That's a little over 900 miles. Pretty good run in my book. Thing about it is that was the norm when I was there not the exception. If my dad hadn't gotten sick I wouldn't have left, but I felt as being the oldest boy I needed to be closer to home until he got better. The boss tod me I could hold onto the truck since it was paid for and take off as long as I needed. He said if you need a month take it, but I couldn't do that to him. I wish I would've though because when I was ready to go back the truck had a driver in it, and he didn't hav an open truck.

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
I feel with a good pay plan driving for someone else you could be in the forties if you are agressive and smart.
If you are driving your own I wouldn't want to be strapped with a big truck payment unless I were part of a committed (and you can take that a couple of ways :) )team.
My experience is two and a half years with Panther,solo and team.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
Well teams will alway do better than solo - im doing 740/week at my 9-5 but I just hate it. Has the freight been slow/fast?

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i have been talking to an owner with 4 trucks and his solo drivers are averaging 1100(don't want to get too far from home) and 1800(load me up) miles a week. i start with him next monday. his 4th truck is him in a team truck running the midwest to texas and ga.

Jack Berry

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The main thing that kills a solo is HOS. After that is the wait time for the next load. If your company doesn't have enough frieght to go around as a solo you will be hurting. At least a team can take team and solo runs and keep moving.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Solos will alway do as well as the "solo" allows themself to do, just like a team.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
the only way HOS are a problem is if you let them be... They don't call them comic books without a reason. I remember when I started driving a semi - we had a 3 person team in a 72" condo (don't ask) in ONE week we did 8000 miles! That truck didn't stop for nothing but fuel once a day. We did Cal - Georgia - Seattle - NM - Dallas - Columbus - OK. Now back to the topic - so I should be looking at a avg of 1100-1500 miles at this point?

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
3 person team?? 3 in a truck??? eewwwwwwww not for me..... heh

i been with panther for 2 yrs now.... solo.. and love it.
i tried teaming 2x.. and well. i just can not get use to trying to sleep while the truck is moving.. im 52 and its kinda hard on me at this point... i do ok solo.... not complaining.:7

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
Don't try driving for Panther with a "comic book".
They are "by the book" and you will be history with a black mark.
If you want to be a sneaky driver, perhaps you should stick to the "cb" and stay off the internet.
You may consider that a legitimate company may watch this site.
PS I hope Jack Berry can affirm, here, his new fleet owners claims.
C'mon back Jack.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
I never drove out side the lines myself but its tricks like if you get to the cosignee the night before and can sleep on site. Mark the delivery that night so you can deliver anytime and not start the clock.

jrj337

Seasoned Expediter
Most of the time i'm legal,but im happy with 1500 to 2000 miles a week but i dont like to turn any runs down good or bad i still think most runs are good, like last week was bad in Dallas with bthe empty move money and the 865 mile run still came out ok.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
whitey,

that is what he told me as we talked one night. he was cutting checks for drivers. now that was "that" week. maybe the gung-ho driver gets a few more miles another week, i don't know. maybe the
wannabe-home-driver gets less or a little more other times.

Jack Berry

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for clarifying that JB.
Personally I feel that is a little high, but certainly possible.
To be home for the weekend (Indianapolis) I am shooting for 1,000. You could get 1,800 for the week if you stayed out but how sustainable is this considering the 34 hour reset.
I don't want to be negative, but these are probably not realistic miles for a long term (based on my experience with one carrier).