Hotels

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
My plans for this adventure are to stay in a nice hotel at least once a week. One of the Hamptons, Hilton, Wingate etc.. This way can take the time to do laundry. I was thinking that a Sunday evening. Catch up to the 34 hour rule if there is no load on the truck. Do the football game day thing with some munchies and hopefully next to or in walking distance to a couple of nice restaurants. What Hotel chain offers the most comforts, with a bang for your buck. I realize that not every town or exit will have what I am looking for but if two or three chains really treat Expeditors well I would like to use them.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We like Baymont,Clean and free wireless intrernet.Also Extended stay America.They include a fridge and microwave for about the price of a reg econ motel.They have no problem with travers who only stay one night.The one we use in Fort Wayne In a lot has outside elect rec.if you want to plug in yor diesel.We have shore power wired into our truck so our fridge and freezer stay nice and cold,the batteries stay charged and in winter of course the engine block heater.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It will probably vary at times because you have to find one that has suitable parking. There doesn't seem to be a consistent chain with regards to truck parking. I personally like drury inn, how ever not all have truck parking.
Davekc

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Don't overlook the hotel coupon books found at just about all rest areas. Some great places have super sunday prices. We stayed a couple of weeks ago at the Marriot Courtyard, Chicago for $54 + tax. They all have fone #'s to call ahead re parking.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This is exactly the ideas I was looking for Thanks so much for your input, I realize parking was going to be an issue. Sunday's for the most part look to be ideal Pack the kids and go back home. Saturdays you get to listen to everyone slam there doors shut and then run back one more time to do it again. If you need to be up at 6:00 you dont even need to set an alarm but if you have no plans but to sleep well enough said.

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good suggestions.A few more: Use a laptop and make reservations through Priceline, which can be done any time prior to 1800 same day. Once your bid is accepted there is no refund; however, the price is great. Usually there is adequate parking for a straight truck but an e truck w/trailer would be a shot in the dark.
You should start at biddingfortravel.com and Hotwire.com, find out what the going rate is for the area. Bid as low as you think you have a chance, once you make the bid your locked out for that area and category for 72 hours. I try a 3* on one side of town then move to a 2* in other areas if rejected. You can always go back to hotwire if you don't make the cut. They'll let you know in less than 15 minutes if you get the room.
Coupons and some hotel clubs, i.e. Choice, Radisson, Hampton,etc. are alternates. I prefer Sunday best

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
We got that rewards card for Baymont and you are supposed to get points which you can use for a free night or some places to eat.
We stayed last in a La Quinta and on their sign in the lobby it said they were joining with Baymont soon regarding the rewards points card. If you want to wash clothes make sure you ask about the specific location. The LaQuinta had a fridge,microwave,dishwasher and even some dishes and silverware. We like to stay at hotels to watch TV too. Sci-Fi channel rocks.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am a Best Western man.Just about all of them have guest laundries and the usual breakfast.Some have a computer in the lobby for guests to use. No matter what chain you use make sure you join their reward program,after a certain amount of nights you get one free,also check out the ads in USA Today,lots of times the chains are running promations for a limited time etc.I am a big user of the Green Motel discount books that you can find at rest areas and all Denney's restaurants.My second choice is Holiday Inn Express and then the Comfort Inn chain.

tughillrunner

Expert Expediter
better way is to have someone pay you to rate there hotel's and they pay you for the stay and all ya have to do is call a head and say
i'm here and what hotel's to you want rated, that's what geo used to
to do and got his meal's pay for to by being a secret shopper
just have to plan ahead, as you know geo know alot of way's to save a buck or two
geo what's name and phone for this place

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What
>Hotel chain offers the most comforts, with a bang for your
>buck. I realize that not every town or exit will have what
>I am looking for but if two or three chains really treat
>Expeditors well I would like to use them.

We started using Holiday Inn facilities at first but have since moved on to Choice Hotels chain (Comfort Inn, Comfort Suites, Quality, Sleep Inn, Clarion, Main Stay Suites). We find the facilities just as good and prices better. The member cards of both chains make it easy to book a room by phone. We've learned that with Holiday, we can call their 800 number for information and then call the local hotel to get the best price. We've also learned that the Holiday Inn customer loyalty point plans are full of unfriendly fine print and unplesant footnotes.

We found Hotels.com to be bad news. They'll book rooms in hotels that are sold out and you then have to fight them for a refund that they are reluctant to give. The booking errors occur because once Hotel.com receives a reservation, they manually fax it to the local hotel, but they wait two hours before doing so. In that two hours, the hotel may sell out, leaving you with no room and a customer service issue to resolve.

We've also come to the decision that one day in a hotel is not enough. We generally don't use hotels unless we know we can stay for two days or more. That gives us time to get our work done (laundry, paperwork, showers, sleep catch-up, etc.) and then to have a true day off where we can relax.

By far, our favorite hotel is AmeriSuites. Spacious two-room suites, ample parking, great free breakfasts, reasonable prices. If only there were more of them around!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Does anyone find a difference in trying to book a room through the national 800 any less than calling the hotel direct? What about walking in and trying to ask for a discounted rate, what works best?
Last time I tried making a reservation at the hotel I transfered to India, and was not given any discount other than AAA.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I do both. Call the 800 # and ask for discounts and any special promotions in the area you wish to stay. Sometimes a deal is available for one of the Columbus area Red Roofs, for example, and none of the others. I also repeat my request to the desk clerk and, on occasion, have gotten a lesser rate.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you have the ball- to stay at a Mr Patel Motel and it is late at night you can bargin that sob BIG TIME. I have seen them drop their prices by 50% at about 11PM just to get someone in a room,of course the quality may be iffy but what the hell,pretend you are in India..

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I am lucky the truck is nicer than Mr. Patels, just wanting a to relax and do wash for a bed sheets for a 34 hour period. Am enjoying all of the Posts.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
One thing to ask for when you go in to get a room is if they have a drivers discount, many do and I have got rooms cheaper with a drivers discount at many places which were better then AAA, AARP,and even their corporate discounts.

Don't let the bed bugs bite,
Fr8 Shaker

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Just spent Sunday night at the Best Western in St Louis w/continental breakfast,indoor pool,etc. for $34 through Priceline. Even if you get a decent load and have to bail out you're not out that much.

God Bless:) :) :)