Hot Shot ???

wwb6698

Expert Expediter
Ok tell me if you guys think this is possible with a hot shot rig, pickup truck and wedge or flatbed trailer, someone is telling me this is what I can do and be home every weekend?
Example: Take two vans from Indiana to Orlando reload 3 cars out of Florida going back to New York. Vans would pay $2,000.00 down and Cars would pay $1300.00 coming back. Revenue would be $3300.00. Some drivers would take a week to do the round, other drivers would take four days on that trip and then work two more days that week and generate another $1500.00, so then the week is almost a $5,000.00 week. At the low end of $3300 working 48 weeks a year that is $158,400 and if you figure ½ of that goes into the truck you can still potentially put $79,200 net into your yearly paycheck. Kind of sounds too good to be true what do you guys think?
Thanks

Slacktide

Seasoned Expediter
Ok tell me if you guys think this is possible with a hot shot rig, pickup truck and wedge or flatbed trailer, someone is telling me this is what I can do and be home every weekend?
Example: Take two vans from Indiana to Orlando reload 3 cars out of Florida going back to New York. Vans would pay $2,000.00 down and Cars would pay $1300.00 coming back. Revenue would be $3300.00. Some drivers would take a week to do the round, other drivers would take four days on that trip and then work two more days that week and generate another $1500.00, so then the week is almost a $5,000.00 week. At the low end of $3300 working 48 weeks a year that is $158,400 and if you figure ½ of that goes into the truck you can still potentially put $79,200 net into your yearly paycheck. Kind of sounds too good to be true what do you guys think?
Thanks

Generally if it sounds to good to be true it normally is..I would want to see stats that backed up that it was consistant work and not "cherry picked" examples that "could" come along.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can't see the demand for vans going south and cars going north on a weekly basis. I Did hot shot back in the early eighties and vans where not moving like that.maybe once a month I hauled vans. And cars never.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
so I'm guessing you are saying better to get into expedite than hot shot?

I wouldn't get involved in the freight industry at all right now IF I had a job that I earned $500/week being at home and that is if getting into a tractor trailer or straight truck. There are just to many things up in the air that could cause many to go bankrupt or leave before they lose everything. If you are looking at non-commercial vehicles like doing hot shot work or running a van or Sprinter I wouldn't get involved IF I made around $400/week at home. The risks right now seem to outweigh the potential reward and on top of that the "busy season" is coming to an end soon. I would definitely look at it again in a few months as long as you have the financial backing to support yourself and business in the lean times.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I would chose a straight truck right now over anything else as they seem to be doing well right now but things change quickly.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Where are you getting the $2000 price to haul 2 vans from Indiana to Florida? That's about $2.00 a mile. (about 1,000 mile run)

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, is paying $2.00 a mile for anything on 4 wheels. Not unless it's a $200,000 Lambo being hauled in a cloth diaper lined enclosed trailer.

"Hot Shot - LTL", "Auto Hauling", and "Expediting" are 3 different animals all together when it comes to rates, available loads, and working conditions.

I'll send you a PM to a Board that'll teach you everything there is to learn about LTL-HotShot hauling. Yes, you can make $2-$3-$4 PLUS a loaded mile hauling LTL & HotShot Freight.

You're at THE place to learn about Expediting here on EO.

As far as learning Auto Hauling, you're on your own there. There's a couple of dime a dozen boards out there but none really worth a flip when it comes to getting help/learning about the business from it's members. :rolleyes:

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Oh Yeah.......

Re-Do youur figures at around .60 - .65 cents a mile for the Vans, and around .35 - .40 cents a mile for the cars.

Then...figure out your CPM at around .55 cents a mile to operate a 1 ton dually pulling a 3 car wedge (about average), and see if it looks promising or not. You may be shocked with the outcome.......

Monty

Expert Expediter
I did hot shotting for years with Hot Shot Express .... I would suggest you call them directly for rates ....

Oh, and don't do it with a pick up truck! A good used class 8 tractor will cost you less than a dually Dodge!

And it will last one hellva lot longer too!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I wasn'already rooted in expediting I wouldn't jump in now, Hotshot for the oil field industy I would look at.