Hot sauce anyone?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Who likes hot sauce? I see hundred of kinds, yet don't want to spend $4-8 for something like that until I try it. Figured we could try to give hints to others looking for different spiciness.

Not all of us have the same tastes, obviously. I like RedHot on almost anything, yet don't care for tabasco (too much heat for the flavor). I do like tabasco jalapeno, however; and go thru it fast if it's available.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

peteworthshakin

Expert Expediter
IF by redhot you mean franks redhot sauce then no i dont like it. IM actually the oppiste and i love tabasco.I consider hot hot hot to be a flavour to me.lol Ive heard of one called Blairs 3 AM hot sause and its apparently soo hot that you gotta sign a waver to buy it?! not too sure about that but it saids a quarter teaspoon is enough to make a whole bunch of buffalo wings

Heres the disclaimer to it
http://www.firegirl.com/hs1979-3.html

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
It's been awhile since I've posted anything, and I figured this topic was a good place to step back in.

I LOVE hot sauce, and if you like Frank's RedHot, stick with that. The flavor is better the Tabasco (Tabasco sauce tastes like dirt!), any day of the week. There are a few brands out there that have some great taste, but most are way to hot for the "sprinkle on my scrambled egg" bunch. I've got a bottle at home right now, that I use in chili. Two or three drops is all it takes to go from regular chili to 5 alarm chili.

Best way to taste without buying, is to find a sandwich shop or small restrauant that sells hot sauce. Lots of times they'll have some out on the tables you can try. We have a sub shop here in town that does just that. It's a great way to "try before you buy".

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Here's a couple others I get:

Tennessee Sunshine - Not so hot with a nice flavor.

El Yucateco(red) - A couple drops will do ya! Heavy in the heat and flavor department. Walmart carries it.

Sambal Oelek Chili Paste - Hot! Think of General Tso's Chicken. Grocery stores usually have it in the oriental section. I grab small jars at Chinese food stores.

Chili Garlic Sauce - BURN YOUR ARSE HOT!!! But the flavor is AWESOME! It's like S&M for your tongue! :7 Put a few plops on a hot dog with mustard and it's heaven (and I don't care for mustard) :) Same company as the Sambal Oelek, but harder to find. Usually only in oriental food stores.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
I like tabasco......a lot. The more the better.I like it so much I may even visit Avery Island, Louisiana on my next vacation. Yes sir- ee, I loves me some tabasco...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Widow Sánchez's Habañero sauce

Here is the information that was packaged with the bottle I received.

"This special sauce is made with a mix of Red and Orange Habañero peppers picked by hand at peak of freshness in Mexico.

The recipe was handed down through many generations of the Sánchez family.

This special Habañero is made in small batches as the peppers rippen and a small number of bottles sold outside of the family.

The sauce is named after Grandma Sánchez who became a widow after Grandpa fell into a batch of Habañero sauce that was cooking after a night of celebrating Navy Day.

Warning – the Scoville rating exceeds 200,000, please use carefully."

I tried this once - only once.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Cyn won't touch the stuff as for me bring it.
When I lived in Florida they had a place called firehouse subs that had a nice little collection for you to sample..
Thinks I cost em more in samples than sandwich fixens..
Mike and Cyn

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive done most of the hot sauces,my facorite is Chalula Hot Sauce,
imported from Mexico.great flavor,to go with the hot,and doesnt have the vinegar taste that most hot sauces have,or if you really want crazy hot,357 mad dogs collectors,with gun keychain,6,000,000 scoville pepper extract,just 1 drop at a time,get carried away,you will get carried away,not for the timid.

mvbn1

Expert Expediter
What is the "strangest" food you put hot sauce on?

Scrambled eggs... peanut butter cookies...

Just curious

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't know... regular potato chips? Sometimes, if I don't have hotdog buns, I cook up hotdogs and dip em in hot sauce. I dip cheese sticks in hot sauce too.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Go to "Beef Jerky Unlimited" off of I 75 when you go to Michigan. I believe they stay open til 9pm during the week not sure about Saturdays but if you like Hot Sauce they even sell the level 9 and 10 stuff. You have to show them a driver's liscense to buy it. Not to mention all kinds of Jerky...Deer Jerky, Beef Jerky Turkey Jerky pretty good stuff. I bought a bottle of hot sauce for my brother not to long ago called "Nuclear Waste" it's a level 8.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I have an interesting bottle given to me. It's called Professor Phardtpounders Colon Cleanser. The names of some of these are rediculous! But this one doesn't burn my colon at all. In fact, it has a good flavor combination of Scotch Bonnet peppers and mustard. I recommend it.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
do not, and i know from personal account, turn over a bottle of hotter than heck(you know the word) to get some on the cap and then stick your finger in it and try a little on you pinky. you could have over 45 minutes of heat on the tongue that will not go away. you might get it in your eyes(yes) and then destroy a glass bathroom plant shelf while trying to flush the eyes with hth stained finger. just put it into your chili and i mean a drop.

ga ahead laff. its okay because, my wife did too for a while.

Jack Berry

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
My favorite is Louisana Hot Sauce. Everyone is talking about hot sauce in chili do yall not put it on your fish? If you like tartar sause like me, I mix the hot sauce into the tartar sauce. Doesn't look to good, but dip some catfish in there and it'll make you want to slap yo mama. My second favortie is Arizona Gunslinger. Haven't seen any of it in awhile. I watched a guy when I was in the service put tabasco in dry bran flakes. I've also seen people in afganistan and iraq put little drops in their eyes to help keep them from going to sleep at night. I preffered to just eat that nasty freeze dried coffee.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Oh yeah I forgot hot sauce also tastes good on fried chicken and potatoe salad. It also tastes good in spaghetti. It also tastes good on a pork chop. Heck it tastes good on just about anything. I just stay clear of it because of the sodium. I don't even use table salt. Blood pressure runs in my family, and I'm a big boy so I do what I can to keep my BP down.

JnJTeam

Seasoned Expediter
This is a great hot sauce store I visit every time I go to Gatlinburg
www.pepperpalace.com. They always have alot of samples and ship at a reasonable price. Just use caution on the samples. They range from 1-10 with 10 being the hottest. After I tried a few 8's I tried an 10+. What a HUGE mistake. Just one drop on a cracker and I thought I was gonna die. It literally caught my mouth and throat on fire. A gallon of water and one x-large frosty later (thank god wendy's is on the first floor!!!) I was ok. A big mistake I will not make again!!!! This is my favorite hot sauce http://www.gatorhammock.com/. Goes great on everything. They have it a alot of grocery stores in Florida and also at Firehouse Subs.

Jereme

Oh... on a side note... an ice cream based "chaser" will keep the hot sauce from burning you again :7

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
JnJ,
You must be talking about that old boy that ate all those jalapenos, and then followed it up with ice cream. Later on when he was sitting on the pot he screamin come on ice cream!:)