HOS Question

smithmark287

Active Expediter
Hello Just had a question and needed some help. I was thinking of buying a 26' straight without a sleeper and letting my brother drive team with me and was wondering how many miles or hours we could run in a straight shot without having to rent a motel room. Thank You. Any help would be greatly appreciated

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Because you'll be subject to HOS rules, you can each drive 11 hours before needing to log 10 in the sleeper. As a solo, you might claim to have slept in the truckstop lounge, on the grass, etc, [theoretically, no one can prove you didn't] but as a team, it won't fly. Unless you can show a place for the nondriving team member to sleep while the truck is moving, the answer is when the drive time is finished, the sleeper time must be shown before that driver can resume driving.

smithmark287

Active Expediter
So you are saying that while one of us is driving that the other will still have to log on duty and so we can really only run one shift at a time without a 10 hour sleeper log. correct? I have had some people tell me that the non driving person can log off duty while the truck is rolling. I was pretty sure that was wrong and just wanted to clear it up

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So you are saying that while one of us is driving that the other will still have to log on duty and so we can really only run one shift at a time without a 10 hour sleeper log. correct? I have had some people tell me that the non driving person can log off duty while the truck is rolling. I was pretty sure that was wrong and just wanted to clear it up

He is also saying you really do need a sleeper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Hello Just had a question and needed some help. I was thinking of buying a 26' straight without a sleeper and letting my brother drive team with me and was wondering how many miles or hours we could run in a straight shot without having to rent a motel room. Thank You. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Before answering your HOS question, I must ask, where will you sleep when your co-driver is driving? With no sleeper and with customers who may wish to seal your truck, where will you sleep?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Smithmark: if the driver who finished their 11 hours is sleeping in the passenger seat, they might as well log 'on duty', because they're not getting real sleep, and that's the bottom line. Without enough proper sleep, it just isn't safe to drive - in fact, it's nuts to try.
Please consider a truck without a sleeper as strictly local/short haul, or motel receipts for every night.
IOW: if you want to drive team, get a truck with a sleeper.

nottoold1961

Active Expediter

There is no way that you can run leagal as a team with out having a sleeper. Unless you are planing on stopping for your 10 hour restart after your 14 hour or 11 hour. and as a team, you wont be given the time. Most legit company won't even put a truck for over the road with out a DOT cert. sleeper.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Smithmark: if the driver who finished their 11 hours is sleeping in the passenger seat, they might as well log 'on duty', because they're not getting real sleep, and that's the bottom line. Without enough proper sleep, it just isn't safe to drive - in fact, it's nuts to try.
Not just "might as well," has to. I think the off-duty driver can log up to two hours in the seat as off-duty now. But other than that, if hens not behind the threshold of a DOT-approved sleeper, he HAS TO log it on-duty-not-driving. Any time behind the threshold can be logged on line 2, which counts towards the statutory 10-off.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I currently run a daycab local and regional. If you dont have a sleeper you need hotel reciepts if you are not home at the end of the day. Also you need a log book Its that simple solo or team.

Good luck
Bob Wolf.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
there is that part of the new hos that states that the co-driver dont have to log on duty for so many hours but I think that it states when he/she is coming on duty from the sleeper berth.

the only thing you would gain by running team in a non-sleeper truck is 3 hours.you are on duty while the other drives but when his 11 is up you could still drive 3 hours.but I dont think it would be profitable to pay someone to just gain 3 hours a day.unless you just like the company or want to be able to run an extra 150 miles or so a day.you could call yourself a team and get the fed-ex runs over 650 miles but you would need a hotel everynight to be legal.I run a hotshot without a sleeper and sometimes take a co-driver it helps out a little but you would need someone who was out of work and just wanted to make $50 a day plus a meal.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You both are logging if your both in a non sleeper unit. Dot can and do ask for proof of motel stays.
The passenger seat is logged on duty not driving if both are company employees.
Besides all that I don't think anyone will lease a team w/out a sleeper and it's really a bad idea because no one will be rested.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was amped up when I saw the passenger seat part but soon learned from asking a couple DOT cops that resting in the passenger seat only counts in a parked C.M.V. It dose not extend your 14 hrs. Its purpose is to say your not working while you wait forever at a dock or your 1/2 hour logged in break. Remember, DOT regs are written in the intrest of the government not yours spin it anyway you like but at your own peirl.

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
By The Way, I have been asked for and have presented reciepts for hotels. They will ground you on the spot if you dont have them.