HOS help

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I need to know how to do the 8/2 sleeper birth hos split. I use a Qualcomm for hos but I'm not sure how to do the 8/2 split with a team. Any help will be appreciated.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm not sure if it's different for teams, I'm assuming each logs separately, just as a solo logs. So, this is how it works:
When you take the first sleeper break [must be 8 hours], you subtract the hours already driven from 11 [ie: drove 5, subtract from 11= 6]. After the 8 hrs in sleeper, you can drive 6 more hours, [ignoring the 14 hr limit that was in effect before the break], and then you must take 2 more hours in the sleeper. After that, you are good to start over with 11 & 14.
This rule was formulated before the additional 30 minute break after 8 hours, but it usually avoids the need for one.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm not sure if it's different for teams, I'm assuming each logs separately, just as a solo logs. So, this is how it works:
When you take the first sleeper break [must be 8 hours], you subtract the hours already driven from 11 [ie: drove 5, subtract from 11= 6]. After the 8 hrs in sleeper, you can drive 6 more hours, [ignoring the 14 hr limit that was in effect before the break], and then you must take 2 more hours in the sleeper. After that, you are good to start over with 11 & 14.
This rule was formulated before the additional 30 minute break after 8 hours, but it usually avoids the need for one.

How many times are you going to give out the incorrect information? You do not get your 11/14 back after the 2 hour break, you get the remainder of driving hours left. If you come off of a 10 hour break and drive for 8 hours then take an 8 hour break you only have 3 hours left to drive before you have to take the 2 hour break. Then after the 2 hour break you get 8 hours of drive time back. The 14 hour time clock gets counted from the end of your last break that was 8 hours or more. It sounds more complicated than it is and if you want a better explanation I could do so after some sleep. ALWAYS ask your company about doing an 8/2 split because some will not allow drivers to use the method due to the confusion it can cause.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I need to know how to do the 8/2 sleeper birth hos split. I use a Qualcomm for hos but I'm not sure how to do the 8/2 split with a team. Any help will be appreciated.

my ? would be why you need to do the split if you are a team. if you are doing 8 just do 2 more and call it done. do 10 on and 10 off. you dont have to drive 11 just because they give you 11. the split isnt complicated but it can be confusing. sleep patterns can get messed up anyways. why mess them up more. you will find as a team, the more you can stick to set driving times the better off you will be. get set to a day driver and a night driver so your sleep patterns have some sense of normality.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
my ? would be why you need to do the split if you are a team. if you are doing 8 just do 2 more and call it done. do 10 on and 10 off. you dont have to drive 11 just because they give you 11. the split isnt complicated but it can be confusing. sleep patterns can get messed up anyways. why mess them up more. you will find as a team, the more you can stick to set driving times the better off you will be. get set to a day driver and a night driver so your sleep patterns have some sense of normality.

Certain loads require the 8-2 split to meet security requirements.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
8 8 2 2 means watching the clock closely and being aware of safe places to pull over.

Bob runs eight and he stops at a safe place which might be a little earlier then 8 but NEVER late. He watches clock and at 7:59 he logs out and logs me in.

Linda runs eight and repeats above scenario

Next Bob runs between 2 - 3 hours with a minimum of 2 hours and no longer then 3 he then finds a safe place to pull over and we switch drivers.

Now I log in and run my 2-3 and we repeat starting with the 8's.

Remember that is not 8 hours driving that is 8 hours on duty....

To try and keep to our normal shifts if we load at say 11:30 in the afternoon I will drive until 5 or 6 and then hand it over to Bob to run his 8 and then I will run my 2 -3 hours and repeat until finished with load.

After load is finished and if you are heading out for another load you might have to keep to this schedule until one of you can get ten hours in the sleeper to go back to normal shift.

Good Luck! We find it very tiring to do long trips like this.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Yes our time driving will rotate to a time we are not comfortable driving. It is tough after a period of time.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
so, like i said. is the OP. asking because he is doing secure loads or just because. guess we never ask that ?.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We need to hook-up and have dinner. No religion or political talk. Business and HOCKEY !
Bill Knapps, Fri ?