HOS Changes Effective February 27, 2013

zorry

Veteran Expediter
And you get paid for every hour your babysitting the load, therefore, whats the big deal, and how is is so tiring watching the load in the front seat. All you would do is your normal time shifts.

Without going into detail,it is.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
In the military you have a chance to fight back.

Dam straight. Becasue if the Admiral cant control you then he sure as hell best support you.
It ought to be fire fight then maybe just maybe we would get some support out here.
We all know what they want That Da Burn Pilot Program to be brought back on line.
If you think about it with the Re set and the other rules they are putting into effect it will mean on an average one ta Two less runs a week for a Truck depending on wether its running Team or Single. So they want to dabble in our lively hoods I hope they got deep pockets as freight Im afarid will be on the rise just as corn was once 2 dollars a bushel now its 7 dollars a bushel let the Price of freight rise as well. Let the political cronies dig deep into their pockets or change it back to like it was.

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I'd like to hear more about that. How exactly can I run my business in a way that I never have to worry about the 34-hour restart and still make good money?

Carren and I ran team in a straight for a summer and never did a restart. We ran in areas that nobody else wanted to and made a huge rate per mile. One day we only did about 50 miles and grossed $1100.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Ok, I'm reading this whole thing trying to get a handle on the kind of runs we'll be able to book our solo trucks on once this goes into effect. Before you had 11 hours to deal with and now you have 10. So for a load that has to run straight through, that's pretty easy to figure out; you lose about 60 miles or so on the loads you can book. But where it gets tricky is for loads that might have about 24 hours to complete or for longer loads that would run over multiple shifts when you have to figure out the transit time.

Before I would figure out 11 hours on and 10 off, or basically 21 hours for each chunk of miles the truck could do in 11. Now you have the guy only able to driver for 10, but he's able to get back at it 2 hours faster, so you could in effect be gaining an hour per 21 hour period on the longer loads, which could mean a solo can do a longer load faster than before. So now a solo has a slightly better chance of being able to get a 1000 mile load or longer, but those 700 milers out out of the question now.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
So much for listening to drivers, not that anyone with half a brain ever believed that their comments or input were going to be paid attention too. Just another day closer to putting me out of business. Got love these "progressives" that are in charge now.

The 34 reset requirement will make our operation MORE dangerous and more prone to fatigue, not that they care. The last big change did that as well.

You're forgetting it was that progressive, GW Bush, who implimented the majority of what we hate now... no split sleeper, and the 14 hour clock. With conservatives like that, who needs libtards?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, the last time I did punch a clock I was wearing a hard hat and steel toes.

It was May of 1976. I punched out of Great Lakes Steel for the last time. I did like the work. I was track labor and a move up switchman. I enjoyed the railroad. Hard work that kept you in shape but work that required thinking at the same time.

From there I went to Ft. Meade, Maryland for 3 weeks of processing and then over to England for 5 years.

Zug Island?

watrucker

Active Expediter
People can't understand why I have zero desire to drive OTR in a Commercial Capacity, I barely started my career as a CDL driver and I am already tired of this stuff. I was tired of logbooks my first day in truck school. The HOS are ridiculous, I mean how the heck are we supposed to make money out here?

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Well, most people seem to be pretty happy working an 8 hour day/ 40 hour week. I've never understood why we're not trying to get rates that would allow us to make at least the same money that everyone else makes for an 8 hr day/ 40 hr week. You'll have to look pretty hard outside of trucking to find people demanding more work for the same or less pay.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, most people seem to be pretty happy working an 8 hour day/ 40 hour week. I've never understood why we're not trying to get rates that would allow us to make at least the same money that everyone else makes for an 8 hr day/ 40 hr week. You'll have to look pretty hard outside of trucking to find people demanding more work for the same or less pay.

I was going to say....isn't the goal to work less for more pay?.....

Rates are rumored to be going up and less hours mandated to drive seems a good thing....

and here some are arguing for the lower rates and work more.....well duh....

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
CSA 2010 was supposed to create a driver shortage and rate increase too. Never happened.
I'm not holding my breath expecting any rate increase due to the new HOS rule.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Yep, I hear that a lot. Man I gotta get a load, I need some miles. I only got 1200 miles this week. When it should be, I need another good paying load this week to make my budget.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thing is IF you read the big OTR sites there IS a driver shortage...ONLY not so bad because of the economy....Many a truck is sitting idle in the yards because no driver to cover the lane...

I can understand the logic of not wanting the government to be acting as a sort of a union, telling one when and how much to drive...but this has been a long time issue back over many generations of drivers...

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, I'm reading this whole thing trying to get a handle on the kind of runs we'll be able to book our solo trucks on once this goes into effect. Before you had 11 hours to deal with and now you have 10. So for a load that has to run straight through, that's pretty easy to figure out; you lose about 60 miles or so on the loads you can book. But where it gets tricky is for loads that might have about 24 hours to complete or for longer loads that would run over multiple shifts when you have to figure out the transit time.

Before I would figure out 11 hours on and 10 off, or basically 21 hours for each chunk of miles the truck could do in 11. Now you have the guy only able to driver for 10, but he's able to get back at it 2 hours faster, so you could in effect be gaining an hour per 21 hour period on the longer loads, which could mean a solo can do a longer load faster than before. So now a solo has a slightly better chance of being able to get a 1000 mile load or longer, but those 700 milers out out of the question now.

Where are you getting 10, because we still have the 11/14 rule just you have to make sure you log a 1/2 hour lunch (off duty)

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the military you have a chance to fight back.

Only in a war zone fighting, but you follow orders and have rules to live by all the time your in the military. If you don't follow orders then you are either fined and demoted or the throw you in the stockage.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thing is IF you read the big OTR sites there IS a driver shortage...ONLY not so bad because of the economy....Many a truck is sitting idle in the yards because no driver to cover the lane...
The only way that can be called a driver shortage is if that load doesn't get covered in some other way. I would guess that those empty trucks have more to do with decreased demand than driver shortage.

The deal with people talking about empty trucks at a terminal gets blown waaaay out of proportion. Most people outside of the operations department of that particular trucking company don't have the first clue as to why those trucks are actually sitting there. They are guessing.

I drove for Maverick in NLR when I started out. Just about anytime you drive by, if you have your cb on, you'll hear drivers talking about all those empty trucks on the lot. They are idiots. A good number of those trucks are new. They are there waiting for a driver to come in and trade in his truck for a new one. Some of those trucks are the older trucks that the driver has turned in to get his new truck. Some of those trucks are waiting for drivers coming out of orientation. Some of them are very simply drivers that happened to stop at the yard for their 10 hr break, or to get a service on the truck, or to talk to somebody in the office. BUT, Joe Blow knowitall drives by and sees 75 trucks parked out in their yard and starts jabbering stupidity on the radio and more than likely the internet.

When you see freight sitting on the docks because they can't find drivers to drive the trucks.... then it's a driver shortage. That would be a BOON for the expedite industry. How busy are we?

Last edited:

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Where are you getting 10, because we still have the 11/14 rule just you have to make sure you log a 1/2 hour lunch (off duty)

I mis read the whole thing. There was something in there about HOS for CMV carrying passengers. They went to 10 hours on with 8 off. I didn't notice the part about passengers.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I mis read the whole thing. There was something in there about HOS for CMV carrying passengers. They went to 10 hours on with 8 off. I didn't notice the part about passengers.
You misspelled "thing". The correct spelling is "thang"! At least that's what they teach us in AR. :D